Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:56 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubagal wrote:
bryanzs wrote:
One of the two reported yesterday was an Arubian resident who was returning from the Dominican Republic via Miami. The second was an American "coming from" Miami (though no indication still as to whether they were a "hot spot" state resident, or just transiting through).

Today (17 July), 3 more positive cases were caught at the airport, all Americans. No information (yet) on where they were traveling from.

As far as I know, anyone who tests positive has to go to The Quarantine Hotel (...wherever that is...), and any of their family members who are traveling with them have to go there as well.

Jeez, only Day 7 since Aruba opened to US tourists and 4 already. Does anyone know for how long the person who tests positive (and their travel companions) need to remain at the Quarantine Hotel, wherever it may be?

The person who is positive has to sick it out until it is out of the system. Those who contacted the positive individual are placed under a 14 day Quarantine to see if they are infected with Covid-19.

I would really advice to take a Covid-19 test and getting the results before traveling. I do not understand giving the conditions in place, why you want to travel to Aruba not having the test done. You are taking a risk and possibly wasting money if you are positive, basically a ruined vacation.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:06 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Eddy wrote:
<snip>
I would really advice to take a Covid-19 test and getting the results before traveling. I do not understand giving the conditions in place, why you want to travel to Aruba not having the test done. You are taking a risk and possibly wasting money if you are positive, basically a ruined vacation.

Hi, Eddy. In many states in the US, it is impossible to get the PCR test and its results within the 60 hour window before traveling. So visitors have the choice of either not coming, or taking the test upon arrival. Many visitors are pushing for the "acceptable test time" window to be widened, but I hope the government stands firm - as we can see by looking at other comparable locations (like the Bahamas), it is all too easy to give in and make entry less "difficult", and in so doing, allow the virus to come back along with the tourists...

Anyway, there are a lot of tourists from the "non hot spot" states that feel they are adequately safe and are willing to take the gamble of testing upon arrival, I guess.

To be honest, I am more disappointed that, once they arrive, no one is required to wear a mask, and it seems no one can understand what social distancing means. Videos since the reopening of the borders makes it obvious that a single infected partier is going to wreak havoc on the island :-(

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:00 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

It's not up to Aruba to flex their rules to the convenience of citizens of one country or another. I hope what they ARE doing is taking the necessary measures to keep their resident population and their visitors safe.

I've already stated that I don't think the current protocol is adequate. There is nothing in place to "catch" the visitor who becomes infected with Covid-19 during their travel day, which is probably the highest risk day that any individual has had in months.

That said, if I was planning to visit Aruba I would get a test at home. It's highly unlikely I could achieve 72 hour turnaround, so I would plan to be tested about 10 days prior and then more or less self-isolate after taking the test. If that result is negative, it gives me "some" assurance that when I take the test on arrival it will also be negative.

Much depends on my ability to be vigilant during travel day. I would not be traveling from a hotspot, and the flight is direct. I would wear the best quality face mask that I own, have extras in my carry-on, use hand sanitizer on myself and wipes on everything else, and hope for the best outcome. Once on the island, I would maintain the same practices as at home which include a face covering inside any building or vehicle other than my own.

Aruba's long time regular visitors will, I believe, do everything they can to help the island remain free of community spread and keep its borders open. I believe we all care about the island and the well being of its residents.

My concern at present is that a combination of low season and a large number of "regulars" who are not interested in international travel at this time has created a window where many of the arriving tourists are simply taking advantage of bargain timeshare rentals, cheap hotel and B&B rates, and so there could be more of a "spring break in Mexico" element on the island in the coming months.

Those could also be the same people who are less vigilant at home, and once on vacation and eating, drinking, etc., will throw caution to the wind.

I'm so concerned that Aruba will end up with Community Spread and/or have to dial back its re-opening. I hope not. But the government should absolutely stand firm on its required protocols. If anything, I think they should be tightened. It would make no sense to loosen them. We already know how that story unfolds....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:05 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/beaches-barce ... 36910.html

This is what happens with no testing . Aruba is doing the right thing .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:09 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Here in the New York we are in our first heat wave of the season with HUMID conditions.

Have to admit that it is very uncomfortable wearing in these conditions. I have several types from the 100% cotton to the N95. I will continue to wear and carry them but will also be looking for times that I social distance so I don't have to wear. So rather then looking to socialize I will be looking for the opposite. Good news for those around me as well I guess.

I have no idea how the masks really work but they seem to so as much as I am the "don't tread on me" American I will continue to carry and wear them. Please do the same no matter where you are.