All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: BANNED SUNSCREENS
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:05 pm 
Senior

Are they checking at the airport for sunscreens we are bringing in that has oxybenzone?

Post subject: Re: BANNED SUNSCREENS
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:14 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

For some odd reason I think sunscreen might not be #1 on the priority list at the airport. That being said, last year we tried a different sunscreen and I burned with SPF 50 on....there were several better choices mentioned here, Banana Boat Simply protect is NOT one of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:30 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Back in January I had a dive trip on a live aboard off Cabo and there is a big push to save the ocean and I did a LOT of research so I bought one of the "best" brands and my dive buddy the number 2.

I am not a sun lover as I am as dark skinned as Casper the friendly ghost so I try and limit my exposure to the sun. Well within two days I was red and all the shirts I wore had lotion stains around the next and anywhere I had put the lotion. My buddy had the same problem.

We ended up borrowing another persons regular non-environmental lotions and were fine the rest of the trip.

I came home and tried several times to get out the stains. Even bleach a few times on the white shirts. Bottom line is I had to throw out all the shirts.

Looked at others comments and they all seemed to have similar problems and the lotions are a VERY expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:57 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I always use banana boat and last year looked for reef safe. I got Banana Boat Sun Comfort 50spf active ingredients are Avobenzone homosalate and octocrylene. I did use it on the island and didn't burn, but i do reapply very frequently.

I recently bought the Ultra Sport, same active ingredients as Sun Comfort. Internet searches show that show that avobenzone only lasts about 30 minutes before it breaks down. That would explain burning quicker.