It is currently Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:07 pm 
Junior

We are very eager to return to Aruba in September and have inquired about getting tested. We live near a major city and have been told to expect results 3 to 4 days from the day you are tested. We leave very early on Friday the eleventh. Thus we would have to be tested on Tuesday (72 hours) and hope that the test results would be back in two days in order to have them on time.

Not realistic at all. I hope that someone in the government is monitoring this forum.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:56 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

https://www.aruba.com/us/traveler-health-requirements

They responded to my question at the email on this page. Perhaps you should send your comments here. There is a chat button there too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:21 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Here's where the Government needs to step up with updates. They've provided the above web page as a source of important travel info but the most recent update was June 11!!!! Nine days old news!

With all the questions being asked and all the worry about the required timing of tests, insurance coverages, quarantine, etc., one would think that there would be revisions to that news page.

July 10 is getting closer! Many people are cancelling due to confusion and lack of solid info.

Confusion! At a time when everyone needs solid leadership.

So, what else is new!?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:25 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Maybe I'm being negative after a quick reading at that website, but it sounds like a lot is there that discourages a person from traveling to the island...at least in the near future after Aruba opens again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:51 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

What are they to do. The answer is there is no answer At least right now so let's try everything.

I commend Aruba. They are trying to open up but at the same time protect their people and protect us. Would you like to get to Aruba and spend your vacation in the ICU or locked in quarantine.

I do agree I would not want to be in the first wave of people going back to Aruba or for that matter any country.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:32 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I agree with Joey. It is like some people think they are entitled to go to Aruba and get angry when Aruba is not giving them all the information they demand right here and now. I guess they are working really hard to find a way to open up without bringing their citizens in jeopardy. With the way the figures are in some part of the States right now, I can understand they have to balance their need to open up and keeping everybody safe.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:38 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Who knows what the situation will be like in July, it looks like cases are on the rise again . You would think that this virus would have the decency to slow down in warm weather .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:35 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

jaccli wrote:
Who knows what the situation will be like in July, it looks like cases are on the rise again . You would think that this virus would have the decency to slow down in warm weather .

In almost 40 yrs of working with and teaching about communicable diseases, this is the most virulent infective agent that I have ever seen. Cases spread like wild fires when health protocols are not followed and it attacks some folks vehemently and yet others may just get a few sniffles. But we don't really know why as yet, just theories.
Jaccli, you mention warm weather; I just read an medical article that suggests that the warmer weather actually promotes the growth and spread of this virus. So go figure. All bets are off.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:42 pm 
Sophomore

Agreed, our trip was to be 7/18 to 8/1, all the kids were coming. Where we live, no guarantee that test results will be completed done by takeoff. and we really cannot rely on being tested at AUA. We love Aruba for its island time, and why we have gone back 30+ times, but without guarantees from Aruba getting the airport results timely, we were considering skipping for this year.

Then AA made our decision for us, 2 days ago AA cancelled our daughter's flight from Ohio and AA had no planes to rebook them. The following day, my wife's first class seat vanished, we would have to hope that she gets a seat at PHL. So cancelled.

On the up side, we would have spent $5K+ and now don't have to and can save for next year

If you do plan on going keep an eye on your flights because it looks like there are only a handful of flights from the east coast. Our flight morphed from a 4.5 hr nonstop into a 6 hour layover in CLT and a 2 hour layover in Miami.

"Pasa un bon dia"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:00 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

No demands! I appreciate their want to protect everyone! Of course!

But the government issued a list of steps to be taken on June 11 and after they read and saw what has to be a bunch of logical questions generated by that listing why have they not issued any updates to their initial listing nine days ago? Everyone knows government staffers read in here and other websites in order to keep a pulse on what tourists are thinking, what tourists are worried about.

Minister of tourism, prime minister, all the leftover chaff from previous administrations, everyone who gets a government paycheck, out of that group is there not someone willing to create a think-tank to come up with a logical, relatively obvious set of requirements for THOUSANDS of tourists to get answers to their questions from ?? :shock:

I mean, don't get all sensitive about comments like this! It's true! They need to respond! There are many questions being asked out there.
That airport, beginning when that first plane lands, US or otherwise and for the next 10-20-30 or more days is going to be a sea of confusion. Whose fault is that? :shock:

Come on!
In my opinion, they are not ready to open! Until they can realistically know that everyone exiting an airplane has complied with a logical, descriptive step-by-step list of requirements, they are not ready and should not open. They are playing with their own health and lives as well as the thousands of folks chomping at the bit to get there.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 3:56 pm 
Junior

dutchdushi wrote:
I agree with Joey. It is like some people think they are entitled to go to Aruba and get angry when Aruba is not giving them all the information they demand right here and now. I guess they are working really hard to find a way to open up without bringing their citizens in jeopardy. With the way the figures are in some part of the States right now, I can understand they have to balance their need to open up and keeping everybody safe.

I simply want to get the tourist authority's attention about the 72 hour rule. They certainly have the right to test all passengers upon arrival and put them in quarantine until the test results are in. Few vacationers will opt for Aruba under such circumstances.

If they change it to five days most visitors will get tested before departure to avoid the hassle of a test and quarantine in Aruba. This will be much better for Aruba and vacationers. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Testing five days before will not be better for Aruba at all. Too much risk that with so many days between the test and the flight there will be cases missed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:44 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

dutchdushi wrote:
Testing five days before will not be better for Aruba at all. Too much risk that with so many days between the test and the flight there will be cases missed.

You're right. Testing 5 days prior gives tourists 5 days to be exposed to Covid between the test and their departure for the island.

I feel very worried for Aruba. It only took 2 people bringing Covid-19 to the island to shut down their borders, and devastate their economy.

It could so very easily happen again and that will be unbelievably heartbreaking for them.

They are Covid-19 free at this time. Can you imagine looking at the numbers that all of us can see (and it's quite clear that there is a surge underway in quite a number of states), and worrying that they may have endured the last 3 months in vain if it all starts up again soon after re-opening?

They're between a rock and a hard place.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:35 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

leftyjy wrote:
No demands!
<snip>
I mean, don't get all sensitive about comments like this! It's true! They need to respond!

Not to be pedantic (though I think that's getting to be "my thing"), but no, they don't NEED to respond to the tourist questions. The only thing they NEED to be responsible to is the people of Aruba.

And there seems to be no way that they can make everyone - strike that, ANYONE - happy. They mandate you have to be tested 72 hours before the flight, or in Aruba. To me, that seems like it should cover all eventualities.

But how many people are writing here that:
- it's not clear what you need to do; or
- it's impossible to get this done; or
- I don't want to take the tests in Aruba; or
- I don't want to fly with untested people and we all get sick then.

So here we have a clear and specific policy, and NO ONE is satisfied with the answers.

What answers COULD they give that would make you happy? How about the next person who posts? Or the one after them?

5 days to get the test results? "I can't get them down in less than a week" OK, how about a week then. Two? How much is "enough"? Should the requirement be based on what can be done FOR EVERYONE (remember, the US is not just one place - it's a whole bunch of different places that are all having different experiences)? Or what can be achieved in NY? Or how about, what's the best compromise for safety - even if YOU, in particular, (not "you" Leftyjy, "you" the hypothetical reader) can't get it done in that amount of time?

And please don't get me started AGAIN on the insurance complaints...

(...and I swore I wouldn't get dragged back in again...)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:09 pm 
Junior

dutchdushi wrote:

My point about a five day testing window is this. If they stick with a 72 hour rule it will be more likely that someone on the plane has Covid. Why? Because very few people on the plane will be tested before they depart. Why? Because it takes 3-4 days to get results back and that means you probably have to pay for two tests, one at home and another upon arrival. :|

On the other hand, with a five day window most people will be tested at home and will have the results before they depart. If they have it, they will stay home. If they don't, they will go. Therefore you will have a plane with passengers that are covid free. :)

Also, the difference between five days and three days is two days :? It is extremely unlikely that you will get covid in those two days. The benefits far outweigh the risks because the need for testing and quarantining in Aruba will be much less. :D