All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:13 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann wrote:
Thanks Ingrid...testing and tracing seems to be a key issue to containing the virus....hope USA does something about this soon

Important is that you get the testresults really fast. Here it is within 24 hours for 95% of the tests, 5% takes 48 hours. If it takes 4 to 6 days, as what I am reading on this BB happens in the States, you are too late to contain it if somebody tests positive. Too many people might have been infected and not knowing.

We expect that - if people keep acting cautious - we will see small areas where we will have outbreaks that we have to contain, but no longer a huge second wave that forces us to lock down the whole country. That is our plan.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:21 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:
ann wrote:
Thanks Ingrid...testing and tracing seems to be a key issue to containing the virus....hope USA does something about this soon

Important is that you get the testresults really fast. Here it is within 24 hours for 95% of the tests, 5% takes 48 hours. If it takes 4 to 6 days, as what I am reading on this BB happens in the States, you are too late to contain it if somebody tests positive. Too many people might have been infected and not knowing.

We expect that - if people keep acting cautious - we will see small areas where we will have outbreaks that we have to contain, but no longer a huge second wave that forces us to lock down the whole country. That is our plan.

4 to 6 days......I was quoted 3 to 10!!! days by one of the test centers I called. Another big pharma chain has a 45 minute test-by that they mean that if you make an appointment they will test you within 45 mins of your arrival(in your car). The RESULTS are at least 3 to 5 days away.
I called my doctors office.....when they called back after checking with my doctor (day later) they said "don't bother with test". No symptoms, healthy adult with just the typical age related issues, reasonable lifestyle with no real long term contact with an assisted living center/individual etc etc.....No need to test. My question about the "healthy no symptom carriers" the media scares us about-they could not care less. "No need to test".
Hmmmmm, no wonder that so many connect the dots and come up with the "this is all bunk" answer.
In their defense we are swamping the labs with tests. My doctors office basically said make way for the people who really need the test. Do not be a part of the problem........

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:44 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I guess a big differrence is that here you can only get a test if you have symptomes. And the testing is done by the public health organisations, not by commercial parties. So the labs are not innundated with swaps. But we can test a lot of people and still have all the results this fast if we need to.

Aruba is using the same methods as we are. From what I hear, this is different from the methods you use in the USA.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:24 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

The Netherlands has 17 million people the US has 330 million. New York alone has 12 million.

If my old memory serves me correctly the US has bigger population then all of Europe combined.

Even if the US was ahead of the virus with that many people can’t see it ever being a quick turnaround.

Aruba better realize it’s not that we don’t want to test it will be more of we can’t get the test and/or can’t get results quickly. In two weeks that plane with 200 Americans will land in Aruba and it looks like 199 will need the Aruban test.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:16 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I just watched the Owners Meeting from July 1 from LCB. They encouraged everyone that is having trouble meeting the 72hr requirement to e-mail

support@aruba.com

on the Travel Requirements Webpage at Aruba.com.

https://www.aruba.com/us/traveler-health-requirements

They also said the situation is very fluid and to make sure you check back often.

I too fear ArubaJoey's last sentence on the flights from Canada and just e-mailed my concern. I have already had one response from them on an earlier question.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:37 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

While USA is much larger population under better circumstances they could establish the capability to do what is needed. An organized effort would make a big difference. USA didn't just become a population of 300+ million in the past few months :wink: . USA has the capabilities. While the requirements to come to Aruba from USA may be fluid I do hope Aruba realizes it would be suicidal to not require testing of USA tourists in a timely manner prior to or upon arrival. Tests that are 5+ days old are not helpful to Aruba though they may be helpful to the visitor as a first step in deciding whether or not to travel.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:46 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We have all walked the walk from the jetway, up that escalator, along that long corridor, then down that nice escalator with the view of the immigration area below, all at the Aruba airport. We usually arrive on Tuesday or Wednesday and most times are the first plane there at about 12:30 so there is not a lot of confusion.
But think of that same walk on Saturday or Sunday when a bunch of planes are there. Wow!

So, pick a spot. Where will folks be lining up, carry-ons in hand, waiting to give info to get the nasal test swab?

It seems that with all the uncooperative timing of USA testing it looks like a lot of folks might opt for what appears to be the easy way out and take the test at Aruba.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall on June 10!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:53 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

leftyjy....there won't be many planes landing on the 10th....take a look at the flight schedule for various airlines..."no bunches of planes" :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:55 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

They did say Ann that they are watching the numbers in the USA closely and may consider only uploaded tests from hotspot areas without the availability of on Island testing. (This is not factual Information from Aruba.com, just discussion during an owners meeting and a comment directly to Ann :wink: ) Maybe the airlines could put some pressure on. :? It would be safer and stress-free for everyone if we all started our travel to anywhere in the world, before we enter our home airports, with covid-free tests. Yes, I know I can get infected on the way to the airport :wink:

They also did confirm for those with more than one-leg of travel, that the 72 hours is from the last leg, direct to Aruba.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:21 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann wrote:
While USA is much larger population under better circumstances they could establish the capability to do what is needed. An organized effort would make a big difference. USA didn't just become a population of 300+ million in the past few months :wink: . USA has the capabilities. While the requirements to come to Aruba from USA may be fluid I do hope Aruba realizes it would be suicidal to not require testing of USA tourists in a timely manner prior to or upon arrival. Tests that are 5+ days old are not helpful to Aruba though they may be helpful to the visitor as a first step in deciding whether or not to travel.

There was no Corona virus three months ago.

Average of 40,000 people in New York State alone get tested every day. So ann how many test sites and labs should we have and should all those people expect a 72 hour turnaround.

What's Aruba's plan for the several plane loads per day.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:09 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Joey it is not my job to figure out how many, what and where. I believe that there are experts in the field who know the answer. At my age I am not accustomed to the USA being barred or last in things (or grouped with Russia as a banned country) . If we can put humans into space to live for months at at a time and bring them back there are experts who can figure this testing/traqcing system out. As to Aruba...they are at least trying. From people I speak with (non of whom are in charge) they are stunned with the issue in USA both on ragging increases in cases as well as the slow results in testing. Therefore, the reevaluation of who to and when to reopen the borders.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:49 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:
The Netherlands has 17 million people the US has 330 million. New York alone has 12 million.

If my old memory serves me correctly the US has bigger population then all of Europe combined.

Even if the US was ahead of the virus with that many people can’t see it ever being a quick turnaround.

Four square on point. Hades had a heavy frost...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:00 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Just a thought, but with all this concern about airports and flying why do they not even take basic precautions when getting on a plane? By this I mean using a proper N 85 (or 95?? Not sure what it is) mask. These would help by protecting both the wearer and the people around. There are now plenty of these available everywhere. You would get one at check in-alright go ahead and charge me $5-strap it on and wear it for the duration until you exit the airport in Aruba and can socially distance again.
For all those who cannot go a couple hours without a drink or a peanut they can hand you a bottled water and a package of nuts that you can consume by yourself in the "safety closet" in the back of the plane. Go in, demask, drink, eat, pee (or other), mask up and emerge.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:38 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Maybe airlines should hand out Depends at check in. That gives you time to use the toilet and put your Depends on.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:13 am 
Extra Helpful Expert