All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 2:45 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

June 22, 2020 - Aruba’s COVID insurance will be mandatory for ALL tourists

Speaking during a press conference today, Aruba’s Minister of Tourism indicated that all visitors must take out Aruba’s COVID insurance, even if they have their own insurance – because their own insurance will not cover costs related to isolation or quarantine in the event of having symptoms or testing positive for COVID-19. The Minister also indicated that this requirement will be reevaluated after 2 months to see if changes will be required. The previously indicated price of US$15 per person per day will likely stand, however this is pending final confirmation. The Minister also mentioned that children under the age of 14 will be exempt from the insurance requirement, however will be subject to a one-time administration flat fee of US$10. The Aruba government is also evaluating options for a lower daily rate in the case of stays longer than 7 days where the daily cost would vary according to the length of stay. Information about what the final pricing structure will be is pending at this time.

South Beach: Jan. 2020
New Orleans: Feb. 2020
Playa del Carmen: March 2020
San Juan Islands: Sept. 2020
40th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2020

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:37 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

RIP OFF MONEY MAKER.

$15 x 7 days = $105. per person.

Plane lands from the US lands with 200 people 200 x $105= $21,000.

Plug in any numbers you want. 2-3-4-5 + thousand people arriving every week.

How does the Minister know that no other insurance company will be as comprehensive.

Few month "test". Do you think that once they see the money to be made and that people will pay that it will ever go away.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:45 pm 
Junior

I do not want to overreact to this announcement but consider the following: In 2017 Aruba had more than one million stayover visitors and the average stay was slightly more than eight nights. If each visitor must pay $15 per night Aruba would yield $120 per person. If you do the math that equals $120,000,000.

Now I realize that in 2020 and the years thereafter that Aruba will not have nearly so many visitors. But even if they receive 20% of that total it still would be $24,000,000. Another question that will have to be answered down the line is this: If I have to be hospitalized for covid,will this insurance fee cover all my medical expenses?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:51 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

One person one day in quarantaine will cost about $ 1.500 without medical treatment. So with the $ 21.000 made by this plane, they can cover the cost of 14 days quarantaine for one person. Once again without the cost of medical treatment. This means that they can cover the cost if 0,5% of the visitors turn out to be positive.

Hard to make money that way. Which, by the way, is done by the insurance companies, not the government.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:57 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:
One person one day in quarantaine will cost about $ 1.500 without medical treatment. So with the $ 21.000 made by this plane, they can cover the cost of 14 days quarantaine for one person. Once again without the cost of medical treatment. This means that they can cover the cost if 0,5% of the visitors turn out to be positive.

Hard to make money that way. Which, by the way, is done by the insurance companies, not the government.

Quarantine means staying isolated, it costs nothing. Hospitalization costs money.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:29 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubamikey wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:

Quarantine means staying isolated, it costs nothing. Hospitalization costs money.

You will be transported to a covid hotel. You will have covid. So the costs will consist of rent for the room, food, cleaning, care workers. How can you say this cost nothing? Or do you suppose that people that have covid won’t need housing, food and care? I know what I talk about as I did the math for the covid hotels in my region.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:04 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:
arubamikey wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:

You will be transported to a covid hotel. You will have covid. So the costs will consist of rent for the room, food, cleaning, care workers. How can you say this cost nothing? Or do you suppose that people that have covid won’t need housing, food and care? I know what I talk about as I did the math for the covid hotels in my region.

Being in quarantine DOES NOT mean you have Covid. The incubation period is a maximum of 14 days, therefore, they don't want you mingling until the 14 days are up.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:19 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubamikey wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:
arubamikey wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:

Being in quarantine DOES NOT mean you have Covid. The incubation period is a maximum of 14 days, therefore, they don't want you mingling until the 14 days are up.

Most people who get covid are NOT hospitalized. They are able to recuperate in isolation. And as arubamikey said, not everybody put in quarantine will have covid.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:20 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Aruba just recently borrowed MANY millions of dollars or florins or gilders...... MONEY from the Netherlands. This insurance money grab is how they are going to pay it back. Sure, there will be some money spent to take care of some Covid patients.... 'some'!

You can count on the BBO going up again, too. And remember the "Sin Tax"? Let's see, what else was there? How about the built-in $50 per air ticket to go toward "Airport 2030" (Or whatever it's called!) mega improvement project. The $$$$ trolley. The $$$$ Linear Park. Do you think that $25 'Stayover Tax' will be enough?

Yep. The "Golden Goose" is going back to it's home away from home. Better get us now before the next wave of Covid shuts down Aruba again.

Man!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:36 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

To those of you on the attack and whining about the personal cost to your pockets, stay home!!!l

If you were only so vocal about the complete lack of planning by the occupier of the White House. There isn’t a plan and yet you take up all the oxygen on this board attacking Aruba and the Netherlands!

Bye bye. I’ve been using this board since the 90s to get information. Time to leave.

(We recently told several of our friends in Aruba that we would not be coming in September. They thanked us for our decision.)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:04 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

doug, don't leave.

Its not the cost its what the cost gets you. There are 33 ICU units in all of Aruba. How many rooms in the Aruban Covid Hotel. So what does Aruba plan to do with the overflow(s). How many respirators does Aruba have. Will the people in isolation be able to sit by the pool, go to the beach.Will there be security making sure they don't leave the property. The 7 day vacation that becomes 14 days who pays for the extra days and obvious changes to airfare, food, transportation,

I could as you folks have give another two dozen questions. But like all taxes what it is to be used for will never be what it is used for and will never be reminded.

doug, two ways to look at your friends in Aruba happy you are not going. I like you will believe it out of their concern. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:36 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Did I speak any non truths?
If I didn't, then there is no way to soft soap how to describe what is going on down there, is there.?
They need lots of money and they only have one source. True or false?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:54 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

This is also a safety issue as many of us who go to Aruba are middle aged and older , a prime target of Covid - 19 . Debate is healthy and let's be honest many of our own citizens are suffering terribly due to lack of tourism . If Aruba can comes out of this then it's great for all of us . This topic is about all countries we are all in this together .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:02 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
doug, don't leave.

Its not the cost its what the cost gets you. There are 33 ICU units in all of Aruba. How many rooms in the Aruban Covid Hotel. So what does Aruba plan to do with the overflow(s). How many respirators does Aruba have. Will the people in isolation be able to sit by the pool, go to the beach.Will there be security making sure they don't leave the property. The 7 day vacation that becomes 14 days who pays for the extra days and obvious changes to airfare, food, transportation,

I could as you folks have give another two dozen questions. But like all taxes what it is to be used for will never be what it is used for and will never be reminded.

doug, two ways to look at your friends in Aruba happy you are not going. I like you will believe it out of their concern. :wink:

Check your local hospital for ICU beds etc per hundred thousand people! The change in vacation costs are
your responsibility. Why would you even think it is Aruba's....if you get sick on vacation at any time it is never the destination's responsibility. Think about it this way....you fly to Florida for example and while there you develop Covid. If you need hospitalization your US insurance will pay at whatever your plan allows if there are hospital beds available (check the capacity before you leave). Your vacation is over...is Florida going to reimburse you?? Of course not and likely travel insurance isn't either!!! Can you get on a plane and return to your home state...NO! Aruba is trying to help you by asking you to get tested within 72 hours not only to keep the virus off the island but trying to save you from spending all that money and not being well enough to enjoy your vacation here. Aruba has been randomly checking on citizens who are in quarantine so they will likely check on you. The problem in my home state is they are unable to enforce the stay at home ...MA could not enforce...our numbers were very high because people are not being responsible. Certainly I for one am not traveling to the 10+ states in USA where numbers are skyrocketing each day. My guess is Aruba is trying to learn what not to do by looking at numbers in USA. Look folks Aruba can't afford to house you for 14 days or pay for your treatment. Nor should any of us expect them to!! Therefore, insurance . This is the best they can do at this point in time. Sad to say but for some US citizens this is the best coverage they will have if they get the virus....better than if they stay home. And if you can't get test results back in 72 hours that is not Aruba's problem...that is your problem...put pressure on your local or federal government. I have said it before and it needs to be said again...there has not been anything like this that impacts life as we have known it. We need to be smart, stop complaining and adjust. OK...I'm done!!! (I know...should have been done weeks ago!! :wink: )

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:26 pm 
Junior

Maybe everyone should take a deep breath and relax. I am certain that everyone who participates on this forum loves Aruba. If we didn't, we wouldn't care about defending it and improving it. From the beginnings of forums on the internet one of the biggest problems is that you can't discern a poster's feelings by words alone. Hence the advent of smileys :D I was brought up in a home where family debates were the norm, so I try to analyze the viewpoints of those who post.

No one is attacking Aruba. We want the best vacation/extended stay for all visitors. Above all we respect the rights of Arubans to run their affairs as they see fit. All we are doing is making suggestions that will yield the best policies possible. :)