It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:28 am 
Junior

Froggy- your message may not be about Aruba but you are 100% right on!!! You made a new friend with me who has been to Aruba over 40 times. Keep everyone honest.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:07 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:
arubajoey wrote:
DD, American Airlines has a once a day flight out of Miami.

And it does actually depart to Bonaire and the people can enter the island? Before we also saw flights to Aruba announced that weren’t actually flying.

Our flight isn't until October 3rd so don't know what AA is doing right now.

I just read that Bonaire is not open to travel from the USA yet. It will open its borders to a handful of European countries, including the Netherlands, where COVID is declining. They also require a test 72 hours before arrival.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:58 am 
Prolific

It seems to me that if you do not need the mandatory insurance while on the island, your payment should be refunded to you. If the government does not need your insurance payment to treat you the money should be returned.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:14 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

quarteratthetrop wrote:
It seems to me that if you do not need the mandatory insurance while on the island, your payment should be refunded to you. If the government does not need your insurance payment to treat you the money should be returned.

And when you test positive and have to go to the COVID hotel, you pay your own expenses? The whole idea of an insurance is that some people will end up needing it and a lot will not. That is how you spread risk. And once again, it is NOT the government that gives out the insurance, but insurance companies.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:16 am 
Prolific

Just curious if your car insurance or homeowners insurance companies refund your premium if you don't have a claim during the year? What about the regular travel insurance companies? Do they refund your premium if you didn't use it during your trip? If so, I would love to know what companies you are dealing with. Because my companies do not. I think the definition of insurance is you have the coverage IF needed. Just sayin'.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:10 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Ladydb wrote:
Just curious if your car insurance or homeowners insurance companies refund your premium if you don't have a claim during the year? What about the regular travel insurance companies? Do they refund your premium if you didn't use it during your trip? If so, I would love to know what companies you are dealing with. Because my companies do not. I think the definition of insurance is you have the coverage IF needed. Just sayin'.

Good point but in Aruba you have no options.

I can get a policy to cover everything or very little, cancel for any reason or limits, full medical or limited. The Aruba mandated covers minimums. The average hospital stay for Covid-19 her in the US is $73,000 to $126,000 barring major complications.

I would like to know if there is a deductible and what happens if I reach my $75,000 max hospital costs or for that matter the limits on any of the coverage.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:17 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:
Ladydb wrote:

I can get a policy to cover everything or very little, cancel for any reason or limits, full medical or limited. The Aruba mandated covers minimums. The average hospital stay for Covid-19 her in the US is $73,000 to $126,000 barring major complications.

I would like to know if there is a deductible and what happens if I reach my $75,000 max hospital costs or for that matter the limits on any of the coverage.

Joey, go to Aruba.com since the majority of the answers to your questions you've asked such as deductibles, timing and submission of tests are all provided along with much more information.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:19 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:

Medical care in Aruba costs much, much, MUCH less than in America. In fact, almost every country in the world has much lower medical costs than America. So the insurance amount here, while perhaps very small if needed to pay for care in America, is adequate for the quarantine, and if need be hospitalization, of the COVID-19 patient.

I continue to be surprised at everyone insisting that they have adequate coverage, that will pay (direct to the provider here in Aruba) all the required costs. And...the government should take your word for it? Or should they instead ask you to upload your current policy, including the deductible and declarations pages, and your medical history? I can hear the screams now - "I can't get that paperwork together to upload! It's an invasion of privacy! I'm calling the US State Department to complain about Aruba!"

Maybe the "facade" has worked, and everyone outside of Aruba believes that we are really a technological powerhouse that has instant ties into the computer systems of all corporations around the world - but the sad reality is, we have been fooling you all, and really we're just a little country. So no, we can't just "hack into" your insurance company, located anywhere in the world, and instantly verify that your coverage is in effect during your time here and will provide what we need it to.

And No, we can't just let the burden be on YOU, the visitor - because if you get it wrong, Aruba will not say, "so sorry, your mistake, shame about you being sick and all, but go swim home now." No, you will still get medical care, but coming out of the bank accounts (slim as they are) of the medical system.

So, unless you want to have your check in time at the airport turn into 12 hour nightmares, as each and every insurance company is called to verify you have adequate coverage - it has to be something that the government mandates FOR EVERYONE. That's the only way to ensure that you actually get what you need.

PS - In the grand scheme of things, doesn't the $15/day/person (max - it declines over time) seem like a relatively small thing to be having so much agita over?