The Aruba Forums
It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

The whole issue about the insurance some of you don’t get is that if you test positive, you need to be quarantained in a covid hotel. Some of those people will get ill, some will have mild symphtomes. And some will need hospital care.
You will have to stay on your room, can not sit by the pool or have meals outside your room. Which by the way, will also be the case the first 24 hours if you take the test on the airport. By my knowledge, there are no insurance companies that cover the cost of this quarantaine in covid hotels.

Once again, it is not a tax. It is not the government of Aruba that collects the money, but private insurance companies. And I did the maths for you how much one plane full of people cover.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:25 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

If my country did not have a Covid travel advisory and I was clear to go, the only countries I would go to would be countries that would guarantee free medical services or offer medical insurance for Covid . With at best a 90 % success rate in testing Covid and many tourist over 50 it does help to know we are covered . As it stands right now only Aruba offers this . I am little concerned that the price might be too low , if many get sick Aruba must care for them . Overall I am very impressed with Aruba :D it shows once again why Aruba is one of the best countries to visit .

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:51 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

If it's mandatory and comes from the government it's a tax. Do you think that they are going to let a "private" insurance company make hundreds of thousands (millions) of dollars a year and not want a piece of the action.

Will I have my choice of Aruban insurance companies to choose from.

DD a quick internet search of insurance companies that issue Covid-19 coverage is growing. Me. I test positive in Aruba then I want to get on a medical evacuation private plane to the US.

Last edited by arubajoey on Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:55 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I have never been part of a private health care system so I can't even imagine what it's like . I only know the tax kind ,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:59 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Most tax health care systems run on a deficit , and that's a debate that can go on for years .LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:31 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:51 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadoug wrote:
To those of you on the attack and whining about the personal cost to your pockets, stay home!!!l

If you were only so vocal about the complete lack of planning by the occupier of the White House. There isn’t a plan and yet you take up all the oxygen on this board attacking Aruba and the Netherlands!

Bye bye. I’ve been using this board since the 90s to get information. Time to leave.

(We recently told several of our friends in Aruba that we would not be coming in September. They thanked us for our decision.)

I see you live in NYC - how about the complete lack of planning by the person occupying the Governor's mansion and the person occupying Gracie mansion - while Trump was blocking travel from China, that pair were telling New Yorkers to go out & have a good time.

“As a general rule, when the NY Times, the Washington Post, NPR, Public Broadcasting Service, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, and CNN begin to parrot a narrative, the truth often is found in simply believing just the opposite”. Victor Davis Hanson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:26 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
If it's mandatory and comes from the government it's a tax. Do you think that they are going to let a "private" insurance company make hundreds of thousands (millions) of dollars a year and not want a piece of the action.

Will I have my choice of Aruban insurance companies to choose from.

DD a quick internet search of insurance companies that issue Covid-19 coverage is growing. Me. I test positive in Aruba then I want to get on a medical evacuation private plane to the US.

DITTO.....I take out insurance every year so that if I get ill/hurt and need emergency care and hospitalization I can get a medflight back to the US.
Lets see how this pans out-if Aruba allows us to shop around for a policy or if we have to get a specific policy from somewhere.
What I do know from experience is that insurance varies greatly all around the world.
I eagerly anticipate first hand reports from folks here who are the first to go back. Then we will have a clear idea of what's what.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:12 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Once again, the insurance is not about being hospitalization and flying back. It is for when you test positive, are not ill enough to be in hospital but need to go into quarantaine until you are sympthome free for 48 hours. No way they put you on a plane when you test positive for COVID.

And yes, Joey, Aruba being a country with a capitalistic system, I expect that it is insurance companies that take your money and the risk, not the government. And we are in no way sure that a profit will be made. The opposite can also be the case.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:12 am 
Prolific

happyt1 wrote:

DITTO.....I take out insurance every year so that if I get ill/hurt and need emergency care and hospitalization I can get a medflight back to the US.
Lets see how this pans out-if Aruba allows us to shop around for a policy or if we have to get a specific policy from somewhere.
What I do know from experience is that insurance varies greatly all around the world.
I eagerly anticipate first hand reports from folks here who are the first to go back. Then we will have a clear idea of what's what.

Happy, the PM has already said that the Aruba Covid Insurance is mandatory no matter what type of other insurance you have.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:34 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:
Once again, the insurance is not about being hospitalization and flying back. It is for when you test positive, are not ill enough to be in hospital but need to go into quarantaine until you are sympthome free for 48 hours. No way they put you on a plane when you test positive for COVID.

And yes, Joey, Aruba being a country with a capitalistic system, I expect that it is insurance companies that take your money and the risk, not the government. And we are in no way sure that a profit will be made. The opposite can also be the case.

Wouldn't it make more sense to only require the insurance for the first day, until your airport test results come back, so that if you test negative, there is no need for it

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:11 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubamikey wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:

Wouldn't it make more sense to only require the insurance for the first day, until your airport test results come back, so that if you test negative, there is no need for it

No, it would not. First of all COVID has an incubation period of 5 tot 14 days. So testing negative on your arrival day doesn’t mean you are 100 % COVID free. And you can also get infected on Aruba if there are unnoticed cases there.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:21 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubamikey wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:

On the surface it would make sense. However, since it’s public knowledge that some test results are false negatives, someone admitted into the country could actually have the virus resulting in it being transmitted.

As for travel insurance covering Covid, I don’t think the government wants to get into the business of disseminating the fine print in all the different policies to determine what is and isn’t covered. Lastly, read the fine print on medivac. Many policies state you will be transported to the nearest place to address one’s problem. That could be Columbia. If it’s determined that place cannot handle the problem, then you would be transported back to the states.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:16 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubamikey wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:

In addition to what the other posters have already said about this, THAT'S NOT HOW INSURANCE WORKS. Can I take out an insurance plan only when I'm _about_ to get sick, or know I need hospitalization?

Although I am neither an insurance agent nor an expert, I believe how insurance works is by "spreading the risk." So everyone pays a little bit, to make sure that no one person has to pay the full amount. Sometimes that "person" who "wins" is you, and sometimes it's someone else. But it's the shared risk, for the shared benefit, that makes insurance possible.

So no, you can't just be covered until YOU know YOU are well. Then it's not insurance, it's a $15 lottery ticket.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:17 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

casadelmar wrote:
As for travel insurance covering Covid, I don’t think the government wants to get into the business of disseminating the fine print in all the different policies to determine what is and isn’t covered.

That's exactly right. For everyone who complains about the incompetence of the government, do you now also expect them to be insurance experts too? :-D

And as DutchDushi has already pointed out, your medical insurance will NOT cover your costs for quarantine, only for (at best!) hospital care.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next