It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:46 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

You can’t be sure you have a COVID free plane with 5 days between the test and the travel. Incubation time is anything between 5-7 days up to 14 days. So you can test negative 5 days before and still have COVID. With 3 days, the window is a lot less.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:10 pm 
Junior

dutchdushi wrote:
You can’t be sure you have a COVID free plane with 5 days between the test and the travel. Incubation time is anything between 5-7 days up to 14 days. So you can test negative 5 days before and still have COVID. With 3 days, the window is a lot less.

I didn't say that you could be sure that a plane would be covid free with a five day test window, just that it is much more likely. People who test positive with a five day window won't fly. If the three day window is the rule, few people will be tested before departure because the results might not arrive before they depart. This will increase the number of tests done in Aruba and therefore more quarantining. :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:15 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Mohair wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:

I didn't say that you could be sure that a plane would be covid free with a five day test window, just that it is much more likely. People who test positive with a five day window won't fly. If the three day window is the rule, few people will be tested before departure because the results might not arrive before they depart. This will increase the number of tests done in Aruba and therefore more quarantining. :(

Mohair, what makes you choose the 5 day testing window? Any studies or analysis that shows that that's a psychologically useful date? Any physical testing results that show a decrease in the number of transmissions if there's a 5 day window?

Or is it just that the 5 day window works FOR YOU, because that's what YOUR test provider said you can get back?

Just to be clear - if someone else in another state argues that they can only get back test results in 7 days, would you be willing to argue for that being a "good time frame" instead?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:54 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I am pretty sure as the testing is improved/made more available it will be possible to get results in a more timely manner. At the very least I hope that after a few weeks of being open the whole process of travelling to Aruba evolves and becomes easier to follow.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:37 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Mohair wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:

You did say: “you will have a plane with passengers that are COVID free”. To me that sound as that the passengers on the plane will be COVID free. There is no way you will know that. I argue the risk is even bigger that it won’t be.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:10 pm 
Junior

Quote:
Mohair, what makes you choose the 5 day testing window? Any studies or analysis that shows that that's a psychologically useful date? Any physical testing results that show a decrease in the number of transmissions if there's a 5 day window?

Or is it just that the 5 day window works FOR YOU, because that's what YOUR test provider said you can get back?

Just to be clear - if someone else in another state argues that they can only get back test results in 7 days, would you be willing to argue for that being a "good time frame" instead?

Five days allows test results to arrive before departure since 3-4 days seems to be the average nationwide. :) My original post was meant to show that a 72 hour standard ends up being a 48 hour standard. If you leave on a Friday you would be tested on Tuesday and hope that the results come back in time. I am not telling other people what to do. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:23 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

What about the fact that at least 10 % of the tests are false negative or positive? That is a pretty good result but testing will not protect Aruba from tourists with Covid -19 .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:54 am 
Prolific

10% would be good! Depending on test and company performing it, it could be 50%!!
https://khn.org/news/abbott-rapid-test- ... nder-fire/

The ONLY way for Aruba to keep it out is to keep the border closed. Period. If you open up, the government has already decided that getting tourist back is more important than keeping the virus out. All the rules and testing are to make people comfortable and willing to travel.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:54 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Mohair wrote:
Five days allows test results to arrive before departure since 3-4 days seems to be the average nationwide. :)

Your country, not mine or Aruba. We get results within 48 hours max (within 24 hours for 95% of the tests).

Also, we have much less false negatives or positives than in the States.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:53 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Actually the test kits in Europe are also not very accurate . Some say 90 % but tests on them proved otherwise . The kits worldwide are being rushed out .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:44 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

If you are planning on going to Aruba anytime this year here is what you do. It's up to YOU!

Look at your health. Do you have the many pre-existing conditions that exacerbates Covid-19. DON'T GO! Don't think of going.

Call your doctor or medical facility and ask what they offer and how long the testing takes. Just as a note, they are improving on the testing procedures and results all the time as they learn more.

Are you the sky is falling person? DON'T GO!

If you go will you wear masks, bring then buy hand sanitizer, try your best to social distance, Maybe bring a box of vinyl gloves. Bring or buy there some disinfectant supplies to use in you room.

Check with the place you are staying and see what they are doing on a day to day basis to keep the place sanitized.

What is your airline of choice doing. What is your care rental doing. Do your homework.

If you haven't realized it yet and as I have written the answer is there is no answer. To expect Aruba to have the answer my answer would be has your State, city, town government figured it out yet. No of course not. Everyday there seems to be a change and new directive.

The divine Mrs AJ and I are still planning on our Aruba trip Nov 30th to Dec. 14th. I also have a scuba diving trip for Oct.3-10 to Bonaire and I along with 12 others plan on doing that trip. My hope is that as more facts come out it will make it easier for people to feel comfortable about travel.

How about leaving Aruba alone for the next 30-60 days and worry about your area. I hope for the best for all (well most) of you. Stay healthy and positive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:57 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:
Mohair wrote:
Five days allows test results to arrive before departure since 3-4 days seems to be the average nationwide. :)

Your country, not mine or Aruba. We get results within 48 hours max (within 24 hours for 95% of the tests).

Also, we have much less false negatives or positives than in the States.

That's right. There are so many tests out there for Covid. And getting the results differ per country.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:20 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Ok Eddy let's say Aruba was the super duper Covid 19 tester with Kung Fu grip . People are asked to be tested in their own country . They might have tests that are vastly inferior . There is no quality controlled that's why most countries either implement a 14 isolation or no test and hope people don't get sick .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:25 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:
If you are planning on going to Aruba anytime this year here is what you do. It's up to YOU!

Hi, Joey. Thanks for your post. I agree almost 100%. I _do_ think Aruba wants to have some visitors over the next few months, and so don't think everyone should stay away - but I think the number of people who are willing to comply with the rules as they've set out will indeed keep the numbers down (as they have always expected).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:40 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

bryanzs wrote:
arubajoey wrote:

Hi, Joey. Thanks for your post. I agree almost 100%. I _do_ think Aruba wants to have some visitors over the next few months, and so don't think everyone should stay away - but I think the number of people who are willing to comply with the rules as they've set out will indeed keep the numbers down (as they have always expected).

I didn't say anyone should stay away. I said if you don't want to go don't. Use common sense. You are uncertain and healthy or you have underlying medical conditions then I believe you shouldn't go. My 30-60 day comment was based on letting Aruba figure out as people arrive what is the best course of action.