The Aruba Forums
It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:31 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hopefully for you and for everyone who is interested in that Allianz $94 Covid coverage is that Aruba will accept that coverage in place of their offered $15 per day coverage. I certainly hope the Allianz policy works.

At this point I don't think there has been anything publicized by the Government changing their first list of requirements.

As for rescheduling our lost 2020 trip for sometime in 2020? There is no way I'm going to Aruba before our 2021 trip.

Looming out there is the often talked about prospect of the resurgence of another Covid in the fall.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:45 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

leftyjy wrote:
As for rescheduling our lost 2020 trip for sometime in 2020? There is no way I'm going to Aruba before our 2021 trip.

Folks, now this is a reason to rebook virus or no virus. Thank you leftyjy from the bottom of my Tito 1.75.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:27 am 
Junior

My unit is week 47 at the RIU, but I do not think I could enjoy Aruba with all the things needed to get their and worrying about catching the virus. I have been to Aruba over forty times and will miss it greatly this year. I will put my unit in Interval and go two times next year if there is a a vaccine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:31 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I have Marriott Surf Club timeshares. I usually go 2 weeks in May & 2 weeks in Nov. I opted to bank my time for 2020 with Interval. I'm currently booked for trip #34 to paradise May 2021. Fingers crossed there is an effective vaccine by then. I'm not interested in traveling internationally until then.

AUA #34 May 2021

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:49 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I understand that many are concerned and so am I but at the same time I look to try my best to take precautions and be aware of my surroundings. Here in NY the hardest hit area of the entire US it has been several weeks since things started to open up and every day the numbers of positive cases and deaths have dropped to now pre-Covid-19 numbers. Don't know if you have read but the BLM protests here in NY with thousands of people marching there has been no uptick in cases.

Personally I see 75% of people out and about with no masks social distancing and 100% with masks inside places.

Vaccine? If there was one tomorrow it is not the answer. With 8.7 Billion people in the world how long until you and I can get it. What about as I am sure it will be are the side effects, who for medical, religious or fear won't get it. Legally can a government make you get the vaccine. Will the cure be worse then the virus.

Will the vaccine be like the flu shot. You can still get the flu but they say it won't be as bad. Bad? can I still spread the virus if I get the Covid-19 shot.

I can't wait for the vaccine that maybe months away and likely not the cure many of you think and hope for.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:08 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

donnapCT wrote:
I have Marriott Surf Club timeshares. I usually go 2 weeks in May & 2 weeks in Nov. I opted to bank my time for 2020 with Interval. I'm currently booked for trip #34 to paradise May 2021. Fingers crossed there is an effective vaccine by then. I'm not interested in traveling internationally until then.

Sadly , You are probably right with your decision .

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:39 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

leftyjy wrote:
Looming out there is the often talked about prospect of the resurgence of another Covid in the fall.

Have you looked at the statistics for the early-opening states? I don't think we're going to have to wait until the fall :-(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:51 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Sorry, but as a Canadian I find it astonishing that anyone thinks what is happening currently in the US is the "Second Wave". You appear to be still in the fight with the first wave, with several states having late, negligible, or no stay at homes orders with speedy and comprehensive re-openings. Seems that about 20 states are not winning the fight at the moment. Hope it improves because travel opportunities (among so many other things) are compromised until that happens.

We still have cases here but the numbers are steadily on a downward track. If they surged again in 2 weeks as a result of our reopening activities, we wouldn't call it a second wave. We would call it a failure in the reopening plan, too much, too fast, too soon. Maybe it's not what anyone wants to hear, but it is what it is.

As for my Aruba travel plans, I hope to use my weeks 1 and 2 in January. Had to miss this year as I had a major trip planned in February (cruise out of Dubai to India and Sri Lanka) which fortunately went well. We returned on March 5 just before North America went kind of sideways.

I commend Aruba for trying to put together protocols to keep its population and guests safe. For the sake of Aruba and its people I hope it is enough. Only takes 1 or 2 cases to blow this thing open again and they have been devastated financially already. There is no 100% guarantee on anything now. Not in Aruba, not in Canada, not really anywhere. I don't believe we'll have a vaccine for at least a year (at least, not accessible to any but the highest risk folks) and as for treatment, who knows?

If things go to plan, I'll go to Aruba, either tested here in advance or tested there, and for the most part the protocols of physical distancing are well ingrained as muscle memory since the cruise and all of the Hop On Hop Off bus tours we enjoyed. I'd be happy to pick up groceries and other necessities at the grocery store and have all of my meals on my beautiful ocean facing balcony if that's what it takes.

I'd love to believe that staying out of the game for a year would mean everything is safe and "back to normal" again but personally I don't believe that will be the case. At home I'll be taking precautions, wearing masks inside buildings and vehicles not my own, for the foreseeable future. I can do these things in Aruba. In January, I would DEFINITELY prefer to be doing them in Aruba.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:45 am 
Prolific

Arubagal, don't believe the numbers you are hearing from the states. They are all a bunch of lies and greatly inflated. Yes the virus is real, but nowhere as bad as they want you to think. That being said, I am out. Not for fear of virus, because of all the non-sense required to travel right now.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

comet07 wrote:
From a post DW noticed on another site:

I know a lot has been posted recently re: insurance but I thought my experience may be helpful to someone who is in the process of booking travel to Aurba and buying insurance at this time.
I just booked our flights for October 2020 with Jet Blue, on the Jet Blue web site. During check out I was offered the opportunity to purchase travel insurance. The recommended policy (through Allianz) was the Deluxe International Trip Protector II. As I was looking through the coverage that the policy provided (Since my husband ended up in the ER with a punctured lung after a fall on island in 2018, having insurance is a no brainer for us!) I saw a link to COVID-19 coverage. Clicking on the link leads you to a letter that states that, effective 3/16/20, the plans provide medical care coverage for COVID-19 illness during the trip (under Emergency Medical Care) and covers trip cancellation/interruption if a customer becomes ill with COVID-19 before or during the trip (under Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption). I then checked the policy I was about to purchase and I have both of those benefit categories in the policy.
So for $94 we are both covered for trip and health for our 2 week stay, including claims due to COVID-19! yay! I downloaded the app to my phone so I can access the policy and the ID card if needed. I also printed the policy details INCLUDING the 3/16/20 letter confirming that COVID-19 is a covered reason for a claim and not excluded from coverage.

Thanks for the info...just curious though.....should you need to access this insurance for COVID19 on the island how does it pay for your services? Is it a reimbursable process where you must pay somehow up front with cash, credit card etc. or will this International plan pay at "point of service"?

The reason I ask is if this is the case, when we hear the updated details from the government if they don't allow a reimbursable type policy as they cannot be guaranteed the traveler will have the funds to pay out of pocket. To me that might be the real stumbling block on what they will or will not accept.

Just concerned for those purchasing a plan only to find it will not be accepted for admittance to Aruba. Not knowing what the total expenses could mount up to cost many will not have the cash or "unspent" limits on a credit card, or two or three to cover this to pay and later be reimbursed by their plan. (Let's not even get in the weeds of what an insurance company ultimately will or will not cover once you submit a claim if you are in a higher risk category, pre-existing conditions etc. if not spelled out in the policy you select to put those doubts to rest.)

It sounds like on or before June 25th we will get clearer instructions. Also a detailed list of what should be "all inclusive" coverage with the government plan and what that entails if someone falls ill to this and must be quarantined in their facility (wherever that may be) or the hospital or combination of both which could be up to 30 days in total. Ugh!

Fingers crossed that the government will go back and re-evaluate and come up with a cost that is more competitive and palatable and take the stress and worry about which insurance to purchase.

Looking forward to anyone traveling soon to the island mid-July and their experiences with the new guidelines. Hopefully no first-hand accounts of anybody needing to be quarantined but if there are, I am sure we will read about the good, bad and the ugly. Honestly I am more concerned about the airports and planes to and from even with extra precautions. I totally get what Aruba is trying to do and support it and pray ultimately it is a good plan.

Our 2 weeks in June like a ton of others was not to be. Our 3 weeks in October...well that remains to be seen between now and then.

(In March when I went for a week, Aruba had zero cases and the first day in the supermarket it was jam-packed like snowstorms or hurricanes on the horizon in the states....in line we heard Aruba had its first one or two cases. I had debated up until the day before if I wanted to go or not but figured it was "under the wire" so to speak and took all kinds of precautions getting to and from the island and self-quarantined for 2 weeks when I got home which turned into 3 months...lol. I can count on one hand how many times I have gone out since I am retired and can be extra cautious.)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:17 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

patsfan wrote:
Thanks for the info...just curious though.....should you need to access this insurance for COVID19 on the island how does it pay for your services? Is it a reimbursable process where you must pay somehow up front with cash, credit card etc. or will this International plan pay at "point of service"?

The reason I ask is if this is the case, when we hear the updated details from the government if they don't allow a reimbursable type policy as they cannot be guaranteed the traveler will have the funds to pay out of pocket. To me that might be the real stumbling block on what they will or will not accept.

Just concerned for those purchasing a plan only to find it will not be accepted for admittance to Aruba. Not knowing what the total expenses could mount up to cost many will not have the cash or "unspent" limits on a credit card, or two or three to cover this to pay and later be reimbursed by their plan. (Let's not even get in the weeds of what an insurance company ultimately will or will not cover once you submit a claim if you are in a higher risk category, pre-existing conditions etc. if not spelled out in the policy you select to put those doubts to rest.)

You've hit the nail on the head. Everyone who is complaining about the extra cost of the Aruba plan - which the government is currently considering capping or somehow making more reasonable for families and long-term visitors - has to realize that IF their plan covers them (which many don't), it will almost certainly not directly pay the government for the medical expenses. Instead, you, the visitor, will have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed. And how many folks have $40,000 or $50,000 of cash handy??

patsfan wrote:
Fingers crossed that the government will go back and re-evaluate and come up with a cost that is more competitive and palatable and take the stress and worry about which insurance to purchase.

But on the other hand...I can only hope the government doesn't decide to "low ball" the insurance costs to make it more palatable for visitors, at the expense of then not generating the revenue to cover what the government needs to spend on all this.

patsfan wrote:
I totally get what Aruba is trying to do and support it and pray ultimately it is a good plan.

Speaking as someone who lives in Aruba, we're all praying as well. There's obviously a lot of pressure from everyone outside the country to make things as "smooth" and "easy" as possible - I love reading the posts of people who insist that the US government should get involved to make things easier for tourists to get in to Aruba! - and I can only hope the Arubian government holds the line on the requirements. These aren't just "inconveniences" added to make your lives harder - these are actual LIFE AND DEATH issues for those of us on this tiny island. And if you think that's an exaggeration, then please, concentrate on the "inconvenience" of it all and stay away until all the requirements have been lifted...that will turn out to be best for everyone involved.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:46 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadan wrote:
Arubagal, don't believe the numbers you are hearing from the states. They are all a bunch of lies and greatly inflated. Yes the virus is real, but nowhere as bad as they want you to think. That being said, I am out. Not for fear of virus, because of all the non-sense required to travel right now.

I feel the same way

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:22 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubamikey wrote:
Arubadan wrote:

I feel the same way

Agree 100%

“As a general rule, when the NY Times, the Washington Post, NPR, Public Broadcasting Service, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, and CNN begin to parrot a narrative, the truth often is found in simply believing just the opposite”. Victor Davis Hanson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:56 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

What does my $30.00 a day get me?

Full 100% medical expenses related to Covid-19

Does the hospital have enough ICU space, doctors, PPE's, respirators, etc.

What is the max number of patients they can handle who contract Covid-19

Is Aruba prepared for an out break?

How will they handle the out break?

It has to be even clear to the "sky is falling" people that the vast majority of the world population of 7.8 Billion people which has reported 8 million confirmed cases and 440,000 deaths that not everyone is going to get it a die. If you think that wearing gloves then masks and staying 6 feet apart was or is the answer to why more in the world didn't get it then I have a bridge and some swamp land in Florida for sale just for you.

Does everyone need to get insurance. 10 days old to 100 years old.

What if I had it?

What if I am asystomatic?

As comet07 reported what if I have my own coverage and it's from a reputable company?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:33 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I was watching a member of parliament of the UK on the BBC before North America shut down I think it was early March . As he was being pressed
with questions about how long the shut down would be, he conceded that it will be a long time but can't give a long term picture due to the overall mental health of society . We are now June and the biggest land boarder USA /Canada in the world remains closed to tourism and will be closed for at least another 30 days . Rumours of new shut downs of countries , states and provinces are increasing . I'm booked for Christmas and New Years but I think the only way I'm getting warmer is if I turn up the thermostat .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next