All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: You in or are you out?
PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:13 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Looks like Aruba will open up the borders to Americans on July 10th (?). The lovely Mrs AJ and I are still scheduled for early December.

My questions is for all of you March, April, May, June and July and maybe August people.

Are you now looking to reschedule for later this year or will you be staycationing this year.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:18 pm 
Senior

Our week with the kids was scheduled the beginning of May so we had to move it.

We are looking to book July 12th - 19th now. Glad it's opening back up and excited to go.

Also, keeping our couples week the second week of October.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:42 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Also scheduled for early December, at least the room is. Waiting on airfare.
But, at best a 50/50 proposition. Going to wait and see what happens over the next 3 or 4 months. Don't have to pay for the room until 24 hrs. before scheduled arrival.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:45 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Not being an American and unfortunately having the same anticipated travel plans as yourselves :wink: , I’m thinking our paths may cross with the reduced level of tourism. I have air not room.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:59 pm 
Junior

arubajoey wrote:
Looks like Aruba will open up the borders to Americans on July 10th (?). The lovely Mrs AJ and I are still scheduled for early December.

My questions is for all of you March, April, May, June and July and maybe August people.

Are you now looking to reschedule for later this year or will you be staycationing this year.

We are not postponing. We are going in September.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:39 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We had 6 weeks in May/June. Not resceduling and not traveling by air as long as there is no vaccin for COVID. I don’t think the experience of visiting Aruba (or any other country) will be anywhere like it was before COVID. We will just enjoy holidays nearby.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:29 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I am a GO, but need to get the better half up to the airport/airplane positive mode. Right now I put her at 50/50. We leave on a Weds-early am, so the whole test thing might be an issue.....who knows what will be available test wise in the months to come.
I am going to do our traditional do-nothing, relax vacation. Corona or not the sun/beach/sea will be there. So will the pool.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:20 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We'll be going for 3 weeks in September - those are 3 timeshare weeks at CLBR, so rescheduling was not an option. We also booked Jet Blue back in February using points from JB & Wells Fargo - not sure if we could get the points credited back if we cancel. I don't like having to jump through all those hoops to get there. The most annoying thing would be having to wear a face mask on the flight for 4+ hours. I don't think it's healthy wearing a face mask & try to avoid going to stores - other than the supermarket once a week for food. Cracks me up when I see folks riding in their cars, riding bicycles, jogging, walking - while wearing face masks. It's not at all congested where I live. I've never had a flu vaccine & don't plan on getting a COVID 19 vaccine.

“As a general rule, when the NY Times, the Washington Post, NPR, Public Broadcasting Service, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, and CNN begin to parrot a narrative, the truth often is found in simply believing just the opposite”. Victor Davis Hanson

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:33 am 
Sophomore

We are weeks 29 and 30 and unfortunately we won't be going...We had to make a decision with the airline by 5/31 to get travel waivers good for 24 months. We have 3 children under the age of 11 and don't want to be there a week after they open while everyone is figuring out how to operate. Most of our usual friends won't be there and who knows what protocol will be like... What if one of my daughters tests fine here and then false positive when we get there?? It's not worth the risk in my view. I'm surprised they're opening frankly...

On another note, we're putting in a pool now largely because of this and I'm not sure when we'll ever go back.

Last edited by Miguel on Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:36 am 
Sophomore

comet07 wrote:
We'll be going for 3 weeks in September - those are 3 timeshare weeks at CLBR, so rescheduling was not an option. We also booked Jet Blue back in February using points from JB & Wells Fargo - not sure if we could get the points credited back if we cancel. I don't like having to jump through all those hoops to get there. The most annoying thing would be having to wear a face mask on the flight for 4+ hours. I don't think it's healthy wearing a face mask & try to avoid going to stores - other than the supermarket once a week for food. Cracks me up when I see folks riding in their cars, riding bicycles, jogging, walking - while wearing face masks. It's not at all congested where I live. I've never had a flu vaccine & don't plan on getting a COVID 19 vaccine.

I think people keep the mask on in the car to avoid touching there face after shopping somewhere and touching a bunch or things. I always have hand sanitizer in my car for that reason but i assume thats what they're doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:43 am 
Freshman

Be careful of keeping hand sanitizer in your car. Being 60% alcohol, it is highly flammable!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

lmarsico wrote:
Be careful of keeping hand sanitizer in your car. Being 60% alcohol, it is highly flammable!

No worry. I keep the alcohol in me.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:19 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I rescheduled my April trip to 2 weeks in early November. Still going.

South Beach: Jan. 2020
New Orleans: Feb. 2020
Playa del Carmen: March 2020
Oregon wine country/coast: July 2020
40th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2020

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:19 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Re-book November 30th to December 14th. That is when I will be there. What better incentive than that. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:26 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

From a post DW noticed on another site:

I know a lot has been posted recently re: insurance but I thought my experience may be helpful to someone who is in the process of booking travel to Aurba and buying insurance at this time.
I just booked our flights for October 2020 with Jet Blue, on the Jet Blue web site. During check out I was offered the opportunity to purchase travel insurance. The recommended policy (through Allianz) was the Deluxe International Trip Protector II. As I was looking through the coverage that the policy provided (Since my husband ended up in the ER with a punctured lung after a fall on island in 2018, having insurance is a no brainer for us!) I saw a link to COVID-19 coverage. Clicking on the link leads you to a letter that states that, effective 3/16/20, the plans provide medical care coverage for COVID-19 illness during the trip (under Emergency Medical Care) and covers trip cancellation/interruption if a customer becomes ill with COVID-19 before or during the trip (under Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption). I then checked the policy I was about to purchase and I have both of those benefit categories in the policy.
So for $94 we are both covered for trip and health for our 2 week stay, including claims due to COVID-19! yay! I downloaded the app to my phone so I can access the policy and the ID card if needed. I also printed the policy details INCLUDING the 3/16/20 letter confirming that COVID-19 is a covered reason for a claim and not excluded from coverage.

“As a general rule, when the NY Times, the Washington Post, NPR, Public Broadcasting Service, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, and CNN begin to parrot a narrative, the truth often is found in simply believing just the opposite”. Victor Davis Hanson