It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:49 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

At 7 pm local time, our prime minster will give a pressconference regarding tourism this summer. Maybe he will also announce what will happen with opening up Aruba and the other Dutch Caribbean islands. If so, I will post it here immediately. If not, I am sure the prime minister of Aruba will give more information soon.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:42 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I just listened in to the LCB owners meeting and he expected Official news they could post by Thurs/Friday along with what others have mentioned of the Covid fee attached to the Ed Card and the requirement for travel insurance. They said it will all be updated on the Aruba.com site soon; don’t want to pass on anything that is not official. Look forward to your update Ingrid.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:16 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Just listened to the press conference. We Dutch are allowed to travel to the Dutch Caribbean islands from 6/15. But only if the borders are open.

Most important message is that only countries with the same level of the spread of infection will be open for citizens of those countries. So I guess Aruba might open the borders a little bit, but not for travelers from all countries. For instance, travelers from the UK and Sweden will not be allowed to enter. If I get more information, I will let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks Ingrid.

That doesn’t sound promising for the US.

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:46 pm 
Prolific

Did they mention united states?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:10 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

No, they didn’t mention the United States. It was about where the Dutch can travel and from which countries people can travel to the Netherlands. But the change is that the governments of the Dutch Caribbean islands will follow the same advice: only allow travel from countries with the same health situation. The health situation in the USA is worse than in the Netherlands and the countries from which inbound travel is allowed. So no tourism from the USA is allowed. I guess the government of Aruba is making its own decision and we will know soon if they open the borders and to who.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:16 pm 
Prolific

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:53 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Have to laugh.

Netherlands has a population of 17 million. US has 330 million. So yes we may have more cases but will the Netherlands look at the percentages in relation to cases.

DD please take this the right way but if they depend on the Netherlands tourism bringing Aruba back from the edge they might as well let it alone. Without the US and Canada there is no Aruba.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:40 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Percentage-wise, cases to population, we're a little more than twice as high as the Netherlands.

1,900,000 US cases / 330,000,000 = .575%

46,000 Netherlands cases / 17,000,000 = .27%

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:12 am 
Junior

Danno wrote:
Percentage-wise, cases to population, we're a little more than twice as high as the Netherlands.

It is tough to compare countries. The US has conducted 19 million tests or 58,000 per million of population. The Netherlands has conducted 368,000 tests or 21,000 per million. The US has conducted almost three (2.75) times as many tests so it's not surprising that we have more cases.

I plan to be tested soon before I go in September.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:29 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

It is not about how many cases a country has. It depends on if the number of cases is declining or still rising, and if it declines how fast that is. So where on the curve are you.

Yes, Aruba will not survive on Dutch tourism. But as the prime minister of Aruba said several times: the economy is very important, but the health of its citizens is more important.

Do not forget, Aruba is a small community. If they open the borders and people get ill and die, it will be people that you know well and are close to. So would you risk the life of your elderly mother, your lovely cousin or this friend you know since high school is the choice they have to make. Not an easy one indeed. I don’t want to be in the shoes of the people in charge there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:31 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Mohair wrote:
Danno wrote:

It is tough to compare countries. The US has conducted 19 million tests or 58,000 per million of population. The Netherlands has conducted 368,000 tests or 21,000 per million. The US has conducted almost three (2.75) times as many tests so it's not surprising that we have more cases.

I plan to be tested soon before I go in September.

Agreed....there are many factors to consider here. I was just responding to AJ's point of a straight cases to population ratio.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:36 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Tonight, 4 June, at 8:30pm Aruba time, the Prime Minister of Aruba is scheduled to have a press conference to discuss the re-opening of the borders. It is likely (?) that she will discuss the timing and the requirements then. So we should all know more later tonight...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:40 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Here's a link to a site (there are several sites I found) that has Coronavirus statistics by country:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Per Capita, they list USA at 327.12 deaths per 1M; they have Netherlands at 346.87 deaths per 1M.

Worst is Belgium at 833.65 deaths per 1M.

“As a general rule, when the NY Times, the Washington Post, NPR, Public Broadcasting Service, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, and CNN begin to parrot a narrative, the truth often is found in simply believing just the opposite”. Victor Davis Hanson

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:13 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

comet07 wrote:
Here's a link to a site (there are several sites I found) that has Coronavirus statistics by country:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Per Capita, they list USA at 327.12 deaths per 1M; they have Netherlands at 346.87 deaths per 1M.

Worst is Belgium at 833.65 deaths per 1M.

THANK YOU comet07. THAT is useful information.

So far here in the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT.) which became the hardest hit area in the entire country over the past few weeks we have been opening up and no noticeable up tick in cases. I find people are still being very cautious.

My question to all of you and I know the answer is if you leave today or in several months will you not take precautions. You will wear a mask, carry hand sanitizer, gloves, try not to touch many common areas and be respectful of others.

Be careful but don't be afraid.