CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Pack your bags.
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:26 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Aruba reported 0 cases of Covid

The Minister of Tourism and Health reported:

As of May 25th curfew is 12 AM to 5 AM with businesses closing at 10 PM

As of May 28th all curfews are lifted.

As they open the borders the official decision is that all arriving people will be scanned by thermal cameras followed by screening with a checklist of questions. Suspected cases will be given a rapid test with results in one hour. If positive the guest will be sent to a designated isolation property. If medical attention is required then hospitalization will take place.

Post subject: Re: Pack your bags.
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:31 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

What happens if you arrive and they decide that you need to be quarantined?

Where do you go? Who pays for it? Who reimburses you for lost time if you were staying less than two weeks?

Seems to me that this is going out a huge damper on people's plans to visit.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:32 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubamikey wrote:

Where do you go? Who pays for it? Who reimburses you for lost time if you were staying less than two weeks?

Since no one should be travelling if there's a chance they could have the virus, it's their own fault if they get stopped at the border. Airlines and airports should do passengers screenings before anyone even checks in or boards an aircraft for the safety of everyone.
Anyone planning to travel should try to get tested as close to their departure date as possible and have the test results in hand to show that they are virus free.

We say that there is no choice only to comfort ourselves with a decision we have already made.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:53 am 
Senior

I know it may be far fetched, but possibly common sense could make a comeback.

Maybe people can look at the big picture instead of its all about me me me. Like ScubaBos said if there is a chance you are sick get tested and if you don't, go ahead and roll the dice. Maybe you'll get an ocean view in isolation.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 8:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

ScubaBOS wrote:
arubamikey wrote:

Since no one should be travelling if there's a chance they could have the virus, it's their own fault if they get stopped at the border. Airlines and airports should do passengers screenings before anyone even checks in or boards an aircraft for the safety of everyone.
Anyone planning to travel should try to get tested as close to their departure date as possible and have the test results in hand to show that they are virus free.

You realize you could have the virus and not know it, right?

You realize you be tested negative today, and positive tomorrow, right?

If no one should travel if there is a "chance" they could have the virus, then absolutely NO ONE should travel.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:31 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Yes, there are more questions than answers in the Minister's statement.

Please note that the information from the Minister is NOT the official, final word on the procedures for travel to Aruba; they have yet to be finalized. I am holding out hope that - inconvenient as it may be currently for US visitors, especially from hard-hit NY/NJ - Aruba will require proof of a negative COVID-19 test (_not_ the "antibody" blood test) before boarding. There are a number of countries (both in the Caribbean and in Europe) where that's the new protocol.

Of course, it is certainly possible that someone can travel in the interval between being tested and showing negative, and actually being infected. That's why Aruba must, IN ADDITION to pre-boarding medical verification, institute/maintain aggressive contact tracing as soon as someone who is already here develops symptoms, provide rapid testing IN ARUBA as well so problems can be caught as quickly as possible, and (very important) require proof before travel that the tourist has medical insurance that will cover them in case they need to be quarantined while on vacation.

If instead Aruba only does "temperature scans" upon arrival, and ONLY tests visitors who are symptomatic, we can all look forward to a quick return of the virus, and the shutdown of the last few months will be for naught. I hope the Government of Aruba realizes how bad it will be if everything has to shut down AGAIN during peak tourist season, just because they wanted to make it a little easier to open sooner...

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 10:47 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

It's a start.

Do you really think saying let's wait is the only answer. Wait how long? Till the scientists that can't seem to agree on anything and change their minds on a daily basis. Remember when all we needed to do was wear gloves. Masks were of no use. Remember when the virus could live on things for days? Well now we don't need gloves, only masks and the virus does not last on things very long.

Until there is a cure then there will be the virus. Let's talk "cure". So say in a few months (some say 12-18 months) they have a vaccine. How long do you think it will take to vaccine the world. The US alone has 330 million people. Who gets the vaccine first? What are the side effects. Who shouldn't get the vaccine. What will the vaccine cost? What if people don't want the vaccine? A vaccine is not the answer either. I get the flu vaccine every year. My doctor says I can still get the flu but it likely will not be as bad. If I take the Covid vaccine will I be told the same thing.

You don't want to go to Aruba or leave your underground bunker then fine. If I could I would get on a plane tomorrow and travel to Aruba. I would take as many precautions as I can but I will not live in fear. My glass will always be half full.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 3:08 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:
It's a start.

Do you really think saying let's wait is the only answer. Wait how long? Till the scientists that can't seem to agree on anything and change their minds on a daily basis. Remember when all we needed to do was wear gloves. Masks were of no use. Remember when the virus could live on things for days? Well now we don't need gloves, only masks and the virus does not last on things very long.

Until there is a cure then there will be the virus. Let's talk "cure". So say in a few months (some say 12-18 months) they have a vaccine. How long do you think it will take to vaccine the world. The US alone has 330 million people. Who gets the vaccine first? What are the side effects. Who shouldn't get the vaccine. What will the vaccine cost? What if people don't want the vaccine? A vaccine is not the answer either. I get the flu vaccine every year. My doctor says I can still get the flu but it likely will not be as bad. If I take the Covid vaccine will I be told the same thing.

You don't want to go to Aruba or leave your underground bunker then fine. If I could I would get on a plane tomorrow and travel to Aruba. I would take as many precautions as I can but I will not live in fear. My glass will always be half full.

Hi, Joey. I'm not certain if you're responding to my post (immediately preceding yours chronologically) or something further up in the conversation thread. But I can assure, speaking for all of Aruba, that we look forward to welcoming you back.

HOWEVER, before you (or anyone else) jumps on the plane tomorrow, I'd just like to put something in perspective. Aruba will reopen, Aruba MUST reopen, but unless we can keep the number of infected people who travel here to a minimum, our health care system will collapse, and MUCH faster than I think most people appreciate. If you're coming, say, from New York City, there are approximately 3,500 ICU beds for this crisis, along with thousands of medical professionals and countless non-ICU facilities. And in a worst case scenario - you can drive outside of NYC to other cities, states, etc. for medical care. In tiny, isolated Aruba, we have...12 ICU beds. About 320 hospital beds in total. So when the 2,000 tourists/week (the small number that has been bandied about as the initial returning amount) arrive, if 1% of them are sick and need ICU - Aruba can't handle it. Let alone the other tourists, the workers, other locals, etc. that will catch the virus from those infected arrivals. So if it seems like we're being ULTRA cautious to you, maybe think about the numbers involved and you will appreciate the reasons behind it...

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 4:09 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I only wish I could fly direct from Nova Scotia...hopefully we will all do our part to keep Aruba safe.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:51 am 
Junior

arubamikey wrote:
What happens if you arrive and they decide that you need to be quarantined?

Seems to me that this is going out a huge damper on people's plans to visit.

In March we were exposed to someone who, a few days later, had the virus :shock: . The health department allowed us to self-quarantine in our condo for two weeks. I don't think that they would allow that now. A few weeks later we were tested in the US and the result was negative :) . Before we leave for Aruba in September I plan to be tested even if I have no symptoms.

We really need to hear from someone who was quarantined in Aruba (there have been hundreds).

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 5:20 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

All I will say is if they are accepting tourists and I can fly down I am good to go. The drive to the airport in Boston and back is probably still the statistically most dangerous part of the whole trip.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 8:54 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

happyt1 wrote:
All I will say is if they are accepting tourists and I can fly down I am good to go. The drive to the airport in Boston and back is probably still the statistically most dangerous part of the whole trip.

:lol: ...i shouldn't laugh but it is likely the truth! I gave up driving to Boston years ago. Got off the plane at Logan and fought the traffic, detours, etc and husband said "well this sure kills a great, restful vacation" used car service ever since!!

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:28 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

'Boston drivers' are the greatest! That's why we fit in so well when driving around on Aruba. Wouldn't you say?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 3:30 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

leftyjy wrote:
'Boston drivers' are the greatest! That's why we fit in so well when driving around on Aruba. Wouldn't you say?

Amen lefty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:59 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

larryco88 wrote:
leftyjy wrote:

Amen lefty

"Amen" might certainly be the last thing said after a drive in Boston......
I believe the Aruban Govt. is developing a "BV" plate to warn other motorists.
Hey, even Tom B had to leave the city(cheap shot....I know).