It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:11 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Anyone else figure that cruising is going to probably be a bit slow for a while? So when things start to open it will be much less crowded at the hotspots on the beaches. An unexpected bonus for the people who hated the cruise ships. I feel bad for the money spent(wasted now?) on all the improvements made for the cruise boat people. The trolley will be pretty empty if it runs at all.
Every cloud has a silver lining somewhere.
But who would have thought of this last year?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 8:59 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I'll give you an assist.

Last week I suggested that they stop all cruise ships to Aruba. I referred to them as petri dishes even before the Covid-19.

They pack thousands of people on a boat. travel from island to island, drop anchor and these "petri people" run all over the island and a few hours later back on the boat.

As a scuba diver I suggest they clean out and then sink the cruise ships and make them man made reefs and divers paradise.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:33 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

happyt1 wrote:
Anyone else figure that cruising is going to probably be a bit slow for a while? So when things start to open it will be much less crowded at the hotspots on the beaches. An unexpected bonus for the people who hated the cruise ships. I feel bad for the money spent(wasted now?) on all the improvements made for the cruise boat people. The trolley will be pretty empty if it runs at all.
Every cloud has a silver lining somewhere.
But who would have thought of this last year?

As for that trolley, which I like to call the invisible trolley, it appears that it only runs when a cruise ship is in. We've driven by that area during the day & evening many times each trip and never see it - that's because we avoid driving downtown when a cruise ship is in port. Besides wasting money building it, I'm guessing that it put a lot of small businesses on Main Street out of business. Since the trolley is battery powered, they could have used tires and avoided having to dig up the street to lay tracks.

“As a general rule, when the NY Times, the Washington Post, NPR, Public Broadcasting Service, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, and CNN begin to parrot a narrative, the truth often is found in simply believing just the opposite”. Victor Davis Hanson

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 4:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

The final price for the tracks install and the trolleys and their lavish storage garages came to 22 million gilders (similar to Florins). And there were a lot of mom and pop businesses that simply folded when they lost all the walk up and drive by business they were used to then the track construction pretty much closed down the streets in town.
If they had opted for a few regular tire tour buses much like is seen in most american cities and touristy towns it would have cost about 2.8 million gilders for the buses, transpo to the island and the maintenance garages.
Somebody had a 'better idea', eh?

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 4:51 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
I'll give you an assist.

Last week I suggested that they stop all cruise ships to Aruba. I referred to them as petri dishes even before the Covid-19.

They pack thousands of people on a boat. travel from island to island, drop anchor and these "petri people" run all over the island and a few hours later back on the boat.

As a scuba diver I suggest they clean out and then sink the cruise ships and make them man made reefs and divers paradise.

I like your plan.

We say that there is no choice only to comfort ourselves with a decision we have already made.