All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: ann/may 11
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:38 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Good Morning! An 'update' :wink: Great information has been posted in the original thread and new threads. Those are the official updates and important. The following are my observations from my corner of the world. The month of May is one of may favorite times to be here (usually). Weather is great and it is quieter, fewer tourists (still a lot but fewer). Easter is never in May and three rounds of school vacations in US and Canada have come and gone. This year of course is different. The weather has been great in April and May but.....
Some 'overcast' days and days with what we in the US call 'haze'. I believe it is Saharan Sands related and not weather related. No rain......lots and lots of strong winds....some days the gusts have been 40+mph.
I live in a nice neighborhood on a street that is generally quiet so other than Easter weekend (which gave new meaning to the word quiet)easy to forget what is going on in the world. The big difference is everyone is home so for weeks there was no regular neighborhood traffic! Easter weekend the grocery stores were closed Friday, Sunday and Monday and we were to stay home with the exception of walking for exercise or swimming at the beach...go swim, go home. Under normal circumstances we hear planes overhead for a few seconds and while we are a few streets over from the highways it is flat here so we might ordinarily hear road noise.....that weekend...nothing!! As my husband said, it was like living in a Stephen King novel!
Two sets of neighbors were laid off from their long time jobs, two neighbors were assigned to work from home, the others are semi retired. All,except us, are local. The twins next door do 3-4 hours of school work each day (some online and some are assignments). They are great kids....7 years old...accustomed to participating in many after school activities. They do have a pool and they are in the pool at the end of the day and they ride their bikes up and down our short street for about 5 minutes at the end of the day.
Like people elsewhere in the world, the adults who are not working are doing yard work (street looks great!), catching up on in house projects and walking each day.
The street is small enough that if our neighbors are outside it is very easy to be more than 6 feet apart and we can visit a few minutes and 'catch up' . Early on we didn't see anyone for I would say maybe 9 days....better now.

More later...this is boring...but really....boring is good...who needs drama?? :wink:

Post subject: Re: ann/may 11
PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 7:54 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks ann. boring? no way.

For me reading your comments and observations gets me to think of where in Aruba I go and stay. So for a few minutes a day I am on the island with you.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:39 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks Ann. Between you and Karen I do not need to read any news articles. Much appreciated.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:57 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks Ann, appreciate the view of someone on the island :D

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:38 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Very quiet in my neighborhood, also. Very windy and very hazy. Yes, ann, it is due to the Sahara sands coming our way

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:16 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

thank you Ann... we always said if not for grand kids we would love to winter there and now we can't see the kids anyway... :(

Judi...great map...where did you find it?

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:09 am 
Prolific

For those wondering about the Saharan Dust as I was:

The Saharan Air Layer (SAL) is an extremely hot, dry and sometimes dust-laden layer of the atmosphere that often overlies the cooler, more-humid surface air of the Atlantic Ocean. In the Sahara Desert region of North Africa, where it originates, it is the prevalent atmosphere, extending from the surface upwards several kilometers. As it drives, or is driven out over the ocean, it is lifted above the denser marine air. This arrangement is an inversion where the temperature increases with height. The boundary between the SAL and the marine layer suppresses or "caps" any convection originating in the marine layer. Since it is dry air, the lapse rate within the SAL itself is steep, that is, the temperature falls rapidly with height.[1]

Disturbances such as large thunderstorm complexes over North Africa periodically result in vast dust and sand storms, some of which extend as high as 6,000 meters. The layer is transported westwards cross the Atlantic by a series of broad anticyclonic eddies that are typically found 5,000–15,000 ft (1,500–4,500 m) above sea level.[2] Through this process, dust can travel as far west as North America.[3]

In the case of Africa, winds blow twenty percent of dust from a Saharan storm out over the Atlantic Ocean, and twenty percent of that, or four percent of a single storm's dust, reaches all the way to the western Atlantic. The remainder settles out into the ocean or washes out of the air with rainfall. Scientists think that the July 2000 measurements made in Puerto Rico, nearly 8 million tonnes, equaled about one-fifth of the total year's dust deposits.

The SAL passes over the Canary Islands where the phenomenon is named "Calima" and manifests as a fog that reduces visibility and deposits a layer of dust over everything.

These clouds of dust are visible in satellite photos as a milky white to gray shade, similar to haze.

Findings to date indicate that the iron-rich dust particles that often occur within the SAL reflect solar radiation, thus cooling the atmosphere. The particles also reduce the amount of sunlight reaching the ocean, thus reducing the amount of heating of the ocean.[4] They also tend to increase condensation as they drift into the marine layer below, but not precipitation as the drops formed are too small to fall and tend not to readily coalesce. These tiny drops are subsequently more easily evaporated as they move into drier air laterally or dry air mixes down from the SAL aloft.[5] Research on aerosols also shows that the presence of small particles in air tends to suppress winds. The SAL has also been observed to suppress the development and intensifying of tropical cyclones, which may be related directly to these factors.[6]

The SAL is a subject of ongoing study and research. Its existence was first postulated in 1972.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:31 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Wow! What a great thread! A little bit of nice, easy news. A little bit of science. Very interesting Ann and Dan!
Thank you. :D

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:48 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I got that pic off the fb page Aruba weather watch

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 6:02 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Thanks Ann. Love your updates and posts.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:53 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Great posts and a very informative thread!! THANKS to all!!

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:50 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I enjoyed your update Ann. Thanks.