It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:15 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Clearly and luckily Aruba has been spared the cases and deaths that so many other places have but unlike other places it's those outsiders (aka tourists) that Aruba needs badly to be concerned about.

Numbers are 1 to 1.1 million people visit a year.

My thought. Stop all cruise ships until a cure is found. Cruise ships have been a petri dish for years.

I have traveled as I am sure many of you have where you needed proof of medical clearance, vaccination, etc. That is what Aruba and other island countries need to do. Papers must be within a 5 days prior to travel and put people at the airport with mobile thermometer guns. It's has been done and is being done.

Let people know what they need to do and they will be checked out and that will help keep people from going when they are sick.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

This is on the Air Canada Website. We will be checked before we leave.

“Customers (including children) on Air Canada flights will be subject to an infrared temperature check. This non-contact procedure will be performed in the context of the existing government-mandated health questionnaire currently completed by travellers. Temperature checks are an additional layer of safety screening as fever is a common COVID-19 symptom.

Temperature checks are conducted using safe, non-contact, infrared devices which have been approved by many health authorities as well as Air Canada’s Chief Medical Officer. The units quickly and accurately measure the body temperature with an accuracy +/- 0.3 degree Celsius. They do not produce emissions nor is any data stored.

The temperature infrared reading devices are tested daily to ensure they are accurate, and batteries are replaced regularly. If an elevated reading is obtained, our protocol is to re-check with another temperature device. Air Canada’s reference is 37.5 deg C, which is consistent with other worldwide jurisdictions conducting pre-flight temperature checks.

Customers who, after further verification, are deemed unwell to travel will be rebooked at no cost and will be required to obtain medical clearance prior to travel.”

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:35 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Already Canada is following Arubajoey. Tomorrow the world.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:32 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Joey, what you suggest will help, but it is not enough. We know that people can carry the virus and be contagious without having symptoms. So you will “catch” some potential cases, but not all.

Either Aruba will keep its borders closed until there is a vaccin, or they are economically forced to open and they will import new cases (and might have to close again).

I know many are hopeful to visit the island later this year. I am not. I rebooked for next year May, but am prepared that it will take longer before I can actually go.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:13 am 
Freshman

These are probably the most well thought out comments I have seen about what might happen as this goes forward. Too many folks on other sites are hoping they will be able to travel in June, July or shortly thereafter. Aruba is too small to deal with a huge spike. Stay safe everyone.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 8:57 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

dutchdushi wrote:
We know that people can carry the virus and be contagious without having symptoms.

^^ This. The entire idea of using thermometers to check people's status, when we (think we) know that up to 80% of carriers are asymptomatic, is just "pandemic theater."