All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: ann
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 10:02 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Just saw a post that ann is in Aruba now.

I suggest and I know you all agree that she now take on the roll of "reporter on the scene". We need an update that covers the last month and then daily reports from her. It's the least she can do as our direct Aruba link and frankly what else does she have to do all day.

ann get to work!

Post subject: Re: ann
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 2:17 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Joey, I'm retired ....not going back to 'work' :wink: That being said I am happy to give my perspective every few days but there are good websites that will have better information. And Karen (on this board) gives good updates from sites she checks.

Here is the one I use each day https://www.visitaruba.com/news/general ... -to-aruba/

Today it has been reported that there is one new case of the virus....the first since I think around April 23. To the best of my knowledge it would have to be contracted locally but they did not report whether it was random
community or from contact with someone who has the virus.

As you know, we own a home here and have for a number of years. it is a single home (not condo) with a good size yard. We now spend a good portion of the year here....love the lifestyle....love our neighborhood/neighbors
....and family and friends enjoy coming to visit :wink:

My sister, brother and SIL were here in March when things got dicey....my brother/SIL headed back to DC a day early but as it turns out SW flew their regular schedule for a few more days. My sister stayed another 6 days cutting her trip short by 3 days (she lives in Canada).

My vote was we should leave. My husband listed many reasons why we should stay...mainly we would need more time to be prepared to leave including our two rescue dogs would need rabies shots.(no rabies on the island so we don't do those shots) and the med is not always available (dogs are now on the list to have the shots!). Plus of course the climate here is great and we would not be housebound!

Weather has been great with a change this week to overcast periods and no bright blue sky in our area but still lovely...no rain (though we do need it). Winds have been very strong...gusting to 40 mph during the day.

Overall the rule is 'stay home'....you don't go to visit friends or family.

You can leave your home for groceries, gas, pharmacy, to get your car repaired. You may also leave to exercise (walk in your area) or walk on the beach. You can also swim at the beach but you can't sit and stay.

The curfew now is from 10 PM to 5 AM...no place to go, nothing to do...no need for people to be out cruising or hanging out. Originally 9 PM to 6 AM and my understanding was the first couple of nights there were a total of about 200 arrests....high fines....quickly went down to about 4 arrests by the third or fourth night!

I'll add more tomorrow however, I would like to say when the PM decided to close the island to incoming people it appears to me many airlines did a fabulous job of getting tourists/visitors out. You might have had to wait on the phone or tried the website many times but if you needed to change your flight it was done. My brother had no problem with SW but that was day 1, my sister had no problem a few days later changing her flight on Air Canada. Keep in mind for at least a week...maybe longer planes flew in here empty to take passengers home. American Airlines flew more flights than usual each day as did United (I go to the beach near the airport and at that time you could still sit at the beach....I saw the planes arrive!) Neither I nor anyone I know works for the airlines so my praise in unbiased! :wink:

Do what you need to do to stay safe! :D

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:56 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann you are the BEST

Keep them coming.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:17 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
Just saw a post that ann is in Aruba now.

I suggest and I know you all agree that she now take on the roll of "reporter on the scene". We need an update that covers the last month and then daily reports from her. It's the least she can do as our direct Aruba link and frankly what else does she have to do all day.

ann get to work!

Aruba? I thought Ann was still in Egypt! :lol: :lol: :lol: (inside Swamp joke)

Seriously, thanks for your update.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 4:43 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Quote:
DonnaLee

Aruba? I thought Ann was still in Egypt! :lol: :lol: :lol: (inside Swamp joke)

Seriously, thanks for your update.

:lol: :lol:

agree, ann, thanks for the update. i had no idea any of this was going on :twisted: :roll: :?:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:38 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks for the update Ann. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:33 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

thanks Ann

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:49 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

A very sincere 'thank you' to Ann for taking her personal time to provide us with random Aruba info. It is always most interesting, welcomed, and appreciated!!

AND..... we should not forget the frequent contributions of Eddy, Bryanzs, Dutch Dushi, and (I wish he'd return!), Dan. Their news is just that: NEWS!
Please forgive me if I've forgotten any other Aruban contributor to this BB.

All of their comments and inside info is really priceless as we cannot get it anywhere else.

Thank you!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:05 am 
Junior

Hi Ann,
Yes, thank you so much for taking time to add to this board. For those of use who are missing our yearly vacations, any tidbit or view of our special island is so welcome as we are starving for a glimpse of our home away from home that we take for granted we will see every year.
Stay healthy and safe!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:11 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Yes thank you Ann. I look at the streaming video on the CLBR post and it is very sad. Nobody walking around the chickees, in the water or the Waters Edge restaurant.
Lefty, this is not easy to write but by the person Dan are you meaning Big PaPA? IF so he has passed on and obviously missed on this board. Maybe you know and I just misread your post.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:11 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

froggy wrote:
Yes thank you Ann. I look at the streaming video on the CLBR post and it is very sad. Nobody walking around the chickees, in the water or the Waters Edge restaurant.
Lefty, this is not easy to write but by the person Dan are you meaning Big PaPA? IF so he has passed on and obviously missed on this board. Maybe you know and I just misread your post.

Different Dan. lefty's Dan was a regular contributor and posted a number of video of places and also wrote a mystery book that featured Aruba.

He has been MIA for many years now. I had met him in Aruba years ago. Nice guy.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:14 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
froggy wrote:

Different Dan. lefty's Dan was a regular contributor and posted a number of video of places and also wrote a mystery book that featured Aruba.

He has been MIA for many years now. I had met him in Aruba years ago. Nice guy.

Dan used the handle SanNic44 on this board - yes, he is missed.

“As a general rule, when the NY Times, the Washington Post, NPR, Public Broadcasting Service, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, and CNN begin to parrot a narrative, the truth often is found in simply believing just the opposite”. Victor Davis Hanson

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:20 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks for the info Ann

I find it troubling that 200 people were arrested and fined by the police - but they are incapable of setting up a simple decoy operation to catch criminals who break into tourists cars. Just park a car with a "V" license plate in an area where the thefts usually occur and wait for the theft to occur.

“As a general rule, when the NY Times, the Washington Post, NPR, Public Broadcasting Service, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, and CNN begin to parrot a narrative, the truth often is found in simply believing just the opposite”. Victor Davis Hanson

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:30 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

comet07 wrote:
Thanks for the info Ann

I find it troubling that 200 people were arrested and fined by the police - but they are incapable of setting up a simple decoy operation to catch criminals who break into tourists cars. Just park a car with a "V" license plate in an area where the thefts usually occur and wait for the theft to occur.

Easy answer. Park your "V" car near a crowd.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:42 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Yes! SanNic44! I could not think of that at all!

I went to a few of the 'mom & pop' restaurants he recommended.
And his short-ish videos were fun to watch about half way between my visits to the island.

His video showing 'another' way to the resorts from the airport got us sort of lost several years ago. We had a good laugh, though. That video currently is available on Youtube, author Lenswork or Lenswork4.

His "Bent Page" website hasn't been (Aruba) updated for a while.

I have learned so much over the years from all of our Aruba connections!