It is currently Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 4:58 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Covid-19 is already nicknamed the silent hurricane on the island. It has all the effects of a battered economy, a few fatalities unfortunately, but without the property damage.

A walk through Aruba's hotel district today.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 7:21 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

eddy did you have to get permission be out and to tape since I only saw one other person on the.tape

My first thought was to say it's a perfect time to film a post apocalyptic movie but then realized it's already happened.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 9:29 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks again Eddy!!

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:53 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubajoey wrote:
eddy did you have to get permission be out and to tape since I only saw one other person on the.tape

My first thought was to say it's a perfect time to film a post apocalyptic movie but then realized it's already happened.

Hi, Joey. The current "shelter in place" rules allows people to be out exercising, and that includes walking, so I don't think the videographer (I don't think it was actually Eddy) needed any permissions. Note that since nothing is actually open - the hotels are effectively closed, businesses in that area are almost 100% tourist dependent, and even the restaurants there that ARE open are only open for delivery or takeaway - there's little reason for anyone to actually be there, other than to take a stroll.

And, since "hanging out" at the beach is still forbidden (you're allowed to swim, and maybe walk/jog, but not camp out and relax), there's no real traffic on the beach side, either.

Hope that helps...

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:24 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

A very surreal video, to see everything so quiet :(

[url=https://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 4:34 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Aruba song to cheer you guys up

Aruba oh island in the sun

Aruba dushi tera

Aruba's 35 years, 1989

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 5:59 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Eddy, if you have the time.....how are people you encounter passing the time? I am afraid I would get "Island fever" if I was just stuck at home with nothing to do. I am sure that people of means can entertain themselves, but in your travels what do you see the regular folks doing to kill time?
Personally I might need an extra Balashi or two if I was just stuck at home. But for some that is not a good thing.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:10 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

The grand majority are staying at home. Some are taking the time to do long overdue home improvements, others are killing time watching Netflix, some are doing virtual parties or get togethers. We have the luxury that is almost always good weather in Aruba, so you can always hang out in your porch or in your garden.

I think the fact that we live in the age of computer technology and social media has soften the boredom alot. People are spending more time on their phones and social media, playing online games ect. Some people go to the beach but make sure there are home on time before shelter in place. Children are playing outside. I guess the behavior in Aruba is like any other country. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:24 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks Eddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:32 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Aruba's unemployment rate went from 7.3 percent prior to COVID-19 to a staggering 77 percent today. Aruba presently has one of the highest unemployment rates in the World . The island is almost entirely dependent on tourism which has been closed since march of 2020. A gradual opening of the island in June/July will result in a steady decline of the unemployment rate.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:46 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Wow ! We can't wait to come back to your beautiful island and hopefully thing return to normal . Real normal not new normal !