It is currently Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Rum and wine prices
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:12 pm 

I know this has been asked and answered a bazillion times but in terms that an old guy like me can understand, what are the prices of not-top-shelf light rum and moderately priced wines (ones than are sub-$15 in the US) at both the arrivals duty free store and in the grocery stores in Aruba. Trying to decide if we should (a) bring it from Texas, (b) buy duty free in MIA, (c) buy duty free at AUA arrivals, or (d) just pay full retail at grocery store. (Yes, I am aware of the limitations on how much we can bring in duty free. That is not the question.)

Post subject: Re: Rum and wine prices
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:45 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I find that Aruba prices in general for alcohol are more expensive compared to the DF here in New York. Never used to be the case but over the past few years I now but my vodka in NY. When I get to Aruba I do a casual check and so far NY is better.

I would buy somewhere along the line in the DF here in the US and when you get to Aruba double check.

In any case you would be saving or not a few bucks which really shouldn't matter.

As far how much booze you can bring in to Aruba I know of no one who was ever stopped and how would they know since they never look in people'e luggage. I buy my booze put it in my carry on and away I go. You want to leave it in the bag from the US airport then you may get stopped.

Drink on my fellow old brother!

PS On the way out of Aruba I haven't bought any alcohol in years and years. I find I can get it cheaper in my local liquor store then the airport.

Post subject: Re: Rum and wine prices
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:43 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Best advice I could give you - I do not buy much alcohol in Aruba- is just buy where it is easiest. The couple bucks you might save might not be worth any problems.
The only thing we are taking to Aruba this year is coffee filters. Grab a handfull at home and throw them in the luggage. Everything else we can get there.