It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:24 am 
Sophomore

I am looking for advice on a second island to visit on an upcoming Aruba trip. We plan to visit Aruba but would like to also visit another Caribbean island for a week after the Aruba trip. The ideal island would be a short plane trip from Aruba and one that can have easy access back to the US when our visit is over.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:42 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thinking about Dominican Republic/Punta Cana. It is about an hour from Aruba and has easy access to/from the U.S.
MANY nice resorts there, and not very expensive.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:28 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Google search.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 8:43 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Barbados ,St Martin ,Grand Cayman etc . I would check for seaweed :shock: it is really bad again this year .

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 11:09 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Curacao is not far and has a lot to offer. We spent a week there and really enjoyed. Not like Aruba at all. Has a very European feel.
Bonaire is not far either but is relatively quiet; haven't been but I hear it is very good for snorkelling and scuba diving.
We have also flown to St. Martin from Aruba and to Grand Cayman after being in Aruba. Had to fly to Miami to get a flight to Grand Cayman, but it was totally worth it. One of my very favourite islands. Fabulous beaches and people, and you can swim with stingrays (I actually kissed one; her name was Suzie).

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:57 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Curacao or Bonaire - both only a 30 minute plane ride from Aruba.

37th trip to Aruba: New Year's Eve 2018/2019
Napa: March 2019
38th trip to Aruba: April/May 2019
Boston: July 2019
Paris: Sept/Oct 2019
39th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2019

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:42 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Grenada, specifically Grand Anse beach. Outside the hurricane belt, and different from Aruba in that it is very lush and tropical. Very friendly locals. Not nearly as much crime as some of the other more popular Caribbean islands. They make some of the world's best chocolate as well. We very much enjoyed our trip there and would definitely do it again.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:06 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

alhannahusker wrote:
The ideal island would be a short plane trip from Aruba and one that can have easy access back to the US when our visit is over.

This is the part that will really limit your options, I think. Direct airlift from Aruba to other islands in the Caribbean is EXTREMELY limited. If you take a look at the Aruba Airport website here you can see that the only flights to other islands are to Curacao (don't let the "St Maarten" one deceive you - I believe it routes through Curacao as well).

So if I were to recommend something that met your criteria, it would have to be Curacao (and I'd suggest Aruba Airlines as the best carrier to do that). You could take a connecting flight from Curacao, but not only are your options limited, we are unfortunately not blessed with the most -reliable- airlines either. The "30 minute" trip to Curacao may well end up taking you 4-6 hours (or more!) - let alone any connections beyond that.

If neither time nor money are a concern, then you might consider flying to Panama City or Bogota and flying back _out_ to the Caribbean from there; although these flights are more reliable, they will take a lot more time (and likely money).

Sorry to be such a downer :-( It's a shame that there aren't better options for travel around the Caribbean, but for now it is what it is.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 5:32 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

bryanzs wrote:
alhannahusker wrote:
The ideal island would be a short plane trip from Aruba and one that can have easy access back to the US when our visit is over.

This is the part that will really limit your options, I think. Direct airlift from Aruba to other islands in the Caribbean is EXTREMELY limited. If you take a look at the Aruba Airport website here you can see that the only flights to other islands are to Curacao (don't let the "St Maarten" one deceive you - I believe it routes through Curacao as well).

So if I were to recommend something that met your criteria, it would have to be Curacao (and I'd suggest Aruba Airlines as the best carrier to do that). You could take a connecting flight from Curacao, but not only are your options limited, we are unfortunately not blessed with the most -reliable- airlines either. The "30 minute" trip to Curacao may well end up taking you 4-6 hours (or more!) - let alone any connections beyond that.

If neither time nor money are a concern, then you might consider flying to Panama City or Bogota and flying back _out_ to the Caribbean from there; although these flights are more reliable, they will take a lot more time (and likely money).

Sorry to be such a downer :-( It's a shame that there aren't better options for travel around the Caribbean, but for now it is what it is.

Totally agree. To get to St Martin from Aruba, we had to fly through Curacao. And as I previously mentioned, to get to Grand Cayman, we had to fly to Miami and then catch a flight to Grand Cayman.
So you are unlikely to be able to fly direct to most islands, from Aruba.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:58 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I love Grand Cayman :D Sadly some friends of mine just returned for a vacation and apparently
the seaweed is pretty bad . My children just can back from Florida and the beaches were also pretty bad .

mancompass.com
Sargassum problem ‘here to stay’

Environment officials are investigating long-term solutions to the ongoing problem of regular invasions of foul smelling sargassum seaweed that have impacted Cayman’s beaches over the past few years.

Tim Austin, deputy director of the Department of Environment, said the issue was not going away.

“This is a problem that is here to stay,” he said.

Grand Cayman was badly hit over Easter and can expect further influxes of sargassum throughout the summer, Austin warned.

Long-term solutions including ‘sargassum boats’, which are specially designed to clear up sargassum before it hits the coast, and offshore barriers to keep it away from the islands’ beaches are being researched. Sargassum boats are specially designed vessels that can clear up sargassum before it hits the beaches.

Flow

In the interim, the Department of Environment and the Recreation, Parks and Cemeteries Unit are on standby to assist with beach clean-ups.

Austin said the DoE had developed a “task force” with other government agencies to speed up the permission process to allow businesses to use heavy equipment to clear their beaches. And he said his staff was ready to assist and advise on the best methods to clear the seaweed, without causing beach erosion or impacting turtle nests.

Sargassum is a type of seaweed that floats on ocean currents in large mats that can stretch for miles. It often serves as a nursery for juvenile fish.

In recent years, it has bloomed in much larger quantities – a development that researchers have linked to warming ocean temperatures. That has meant a significant problem for tourism-based businesses across the region, with Mexico and the eastern Caribbean among the worst affected areas.

Some of those countries have seen their tourism industry impacted because of sargassum piling up on the beaches.

In Grand Cayman, the impacts have not been so severe, but Austin said some businesses, particularly in East End, had been seriously affected by the sporadic seaweed invasions.

He added. “It doesn’t take a lot for it to be an issue. We don’t have the problem they have in the eastern Caribbean, with huge mats of it washing up, but it only takes a relatively small amount to have a big impact on our beaches.”

He said researchers across the region were examining different methodologies, including tracking satellite imagery, to help predict when sargassum would hit.

Though this month was expected to be better than the same time last year, he said the prevailing wind conditions dictated whether Cayman got hit.

“It it like a hurricane season – it can be a lot less regionally but that is no comfort if you get hit by a category 4 storm,” he said.

His department has been asked to research more direct methods of dealing with the situation, including potentially using sargassum boats to break up the seaweed.

Some businesses are examining their own solutions, including positioning barriers that would keep the sargassum offshore.

Austin said the DoE would work with these businesses. He said Cayman’s system of ocean currents kept it protected from sargassum influxes much of the time, but strong winds can push it beyond the reef and onto the beaches.

:(

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:44 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I would do Curacao. It is a short 15 minute flight. Aruba Airlines have daily flights from Aruba to Curacao.

I was there last February and had an amazing time.

I stayed at this Air B&B which was a former plantation house. The host is a Dutch woman by the name of Loeki. She is extremely friendly and hospitable. You won't regret this accommodation.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21565504?g ... kY6zbRComS

Willemstad is a very nice historic city, that is on the UNESCO World Heritage list, a must see. It is also has the museum of Afro Caribbean Slavery which is interesting. You can venture out safely to Saint Christopher National Park to the Northwest of the island, and visit Knip Bay.

Have fun whatever your choice is.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 10:35 pm 
Freshman

arubajoey wrote:
Google search.

arubajoey: "where is everyone?? Why doesn't anyone post here anymore?!?!"
someone: "Hey i have a question....
arubajoey: "What is wrong with you!! Just google it and don't waste our time!!!"

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:11 pm 
Senior

alhannahusker wrote:
I am looking for advice on a second island to visit on an upcoming Aruba trip. We plan to visit Aruba but would like to also visit another Caribbean island for a week after the Aruba trip. The ideal island would be a short plane trip from Aruba and one that can have easy access back to the US when our visit is over.

Any ideas?

There's been some great choices given to you , which place have you chosen ? :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:45 pm 
Sophomore

kris02420 wrote:
alhannahusker wrote:

Any ideas?

There's been some great choices given to you , which place have you chosen ? :roll: :roll:

Leading candidates appear to be Cayman Islands and Curacao. Starting to do research on both locations.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:27 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

https://www.caymancompass.com/2019/05/1 ... weed-again

very sad :cry: