It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Palapas on the beach.
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:22 pm 

Has there been any movement on the palapa situation? My daughter just sent a picture from the HI and the beach is bare. Anyone know if they are working something out?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 5:57 pm 
Prolific

Status quo at the moment as something is trying to get worked out. From what I have heard from various people that would know what the situation is, 70% chance they will be going away on public land. That is why Holiday Inn moved all theirs back behind the line. Government is getting greedy and hotels are trying to fight back.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Holiday Inn moved theirs, no one else has

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:28 pm 
Prolific

Doesn't make sense. Now they will have umbrellas on the beach. All need shade

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:43 pm 

So does anyone know why The Holiday Inn moved theirs and the other hotels did not?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:58 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I don’t think it is only the government being greedy, but the hotels as well. They can’t charge you for palapas on public beach, so they move it to their own property and rent them out.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:15 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:
I don’t think it is only the government being greedy, but the hotels as well. They can’t charge you for palapas on public beach, so they move it to their own property and rent them out.

Ingrid hit it on the head. When I was at the HI last month they were pulling palapas off the beach and moving them back. They are packed in next to each other now like a can of sardines which is why I would never stay there again. See my video in trip reports I did, yes they even tried to kick me out from under a palm tree. If somebody was smart, they would have rental umbrellas up front next to the water, hotels can't do a thing about it.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:09 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Our palapas (chickees) @ Costa Linda have always been and still are "first come first served". We have never charged for them. We do however have a 2 hour rule and they are not to be left vacant for more than 2 hours. This system is fair and works well. It allows our guests to have the opportunity to go have breakfast, lunch or take a dip in the pool, walk the beach etc and not infringe on the 2 hour rule.

If a non guest comes and uses one of our palapas because it is located on the beach, they are not allowed however to use our chairs/chaise loungers.

Last edited by patsfan on Fri May 31, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:10 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I don't get that "the hotels are greedy" comments. Let's not forget that hotels are a business and they are there to make money. They offer palapa rentals to those who are willing to pay for them in order to take away all the hassles that surround getting one. It's an upgraded service. Are hotels "greedy" because they charge more for ocean front rooms versus garden view rooms? Are they "greedy" when they charge higher prices high season versus low or more for food and drink from room service? It's the Aruba government that is misguided and losing sight of why they are one of the most prosperous islands in the Caribbean. These ocean front resorts are partly responsible for Aruba's rise to prosperity through taxes, jobs, creating increased tourism though various marketing campaigns, etc. Why would you put a pinch on those resorts who helped propel Aruba to where they are today? The public beach platform seems like a noble cause that few are willing to challenge(political correctness again) but lets get real, palapas placed on ocean front resorts has not been hot topic until the Aruban government made it one. Keep up the good work Aruba and your repeat visitors will seek other destinations and your first timers will be one and done.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:27 am 
Prolific

Jimmy B, I agree. IMO this is nothing more than a money grab by the government. They do not build or maintain the papalas on any of the resort beaches and they claim they really do not want them on the beaches and yet they continue to put up more and more all over the island. Arashi, Malmock, Baby Beach have all had additional ones put up recently. Yesterday at Arashi it cost me $40 for umbrella and 2 chairs. How is this any different than a hotel charging for hut?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 8:32 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

The Aruban government thinks there is nothing they can't tax, and then tax more. They don't understand that at one point they will kill the goose that lays the golden egg (tourism) and people will find more affordable islands. Overbuilding and over-taxation will be the death of Aruba!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:17 pm 
Senior

Has anyone heard anything on the chickees at the Ritz ?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:00 pm 
Senior

The Ritz does not have chickees

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:31 pm 
Senior

anthony136 wrote:

WHAT ???? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: What are we gonna sit under when on the beach ?????

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 3:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

kris02420 wrote:
anthony136 wrote:

WHAT ???? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: What are we gonna sit under when on the beach ?????

Women under the cabana men
Men under the cabana women