All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Curious
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:07 pm 
Prolific

Getting closer to retirement n was looking to invest in a business on the island for a revenue stream. Has anyone done that or had the same idea?

Post subject: Re: Curious
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:42 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Kevinaruba1 wrote:
Getting closer to retirement n was looking to invest in a business on the island for a revenue stream. Has anyone done that or had the same idea?

Nope and have no intention to do so. Better to invest in a business in a country where you are have knowledge of how things work, taxes, labor laws, etc

Louis Tomlinson

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 10:56 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann wrote:
Kevinaruba1 wrote:

Nope and have no intention to do so. Better to invest in a business in a country where you are have knowledge of how things work, taxes, labor laws, etc

Agree with Ann. I have alot of Dutch friends on the island who own their own businesses (from hotels to small bars, etc.) and am always amazed at the amount of red tape and changing laws that they go through on a regular basis at the whim of the current government. Makes it difficult to conduct business (or invest in a business if you don't keep up on the ever-changing laws)...and even more so if you don't speak/able to read Dutch and Papiamento.

37th trip to Aruba: New Year's Eve 2018/2019
Napa: March 2019
38th trip to Aruba: April/May 2019
Boston: July 2019
Paris: Sept/Oct 2019
39th trip to Aruba: Nov. 2019

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 7:10 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I recommend the Arubajoey Foundation of Aruba.

The organization promotes and funds my alcohol bills while in Aruba. If you are looking for a write-off then that's my suggestion.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:37 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Kevinaruba1 wrote:

My money says that quite a few have had the same (bad) idea.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 9:35 pm 
Freshman

Unfortunately, it looks like the family who moved to Aruba to start Full Throttle Tours is packing up and leaving to head back to the states. I posted the blog here awhile ago and just noticed the recent post that they're heading out in 30 days (https://zislandlife.wordpress.com). I'm sure this is one of many examples...Not to suggest it's impossible, but it seems like a big risk...

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 10:52 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Miguel wrote:
Unfortunately, it looks like the family who moved to Aruba to start Full Throttle Tours is packing up and leaving to head back to the states. I posted the blog here awhile ago and just noticed the recent post that they're heading out in 30 days (https://zislandlife.wordpress.com). I'm sure this is one of many examples...Not to suggest it's impossible, but it seems like a big risk...

Miguel Thank you a sad yet very informative story and right on the mark. In the first year 50% of businesses in the US fail. Those businesses were started near where people lived.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 11:07 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

On our last visit to CLBR last September noticed that the small hut near the beach had a new business that arranged tours. Don't know if that was Full Throttle.
That small hut has had several businesses that didn't last long - recall an ice cream shop and a gift shop. Many years it was unoccupied. Have never noticed much action at any of the businesses that set up there.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:31 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Joey and others--fyi:

According to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, about 20 percent of small businesses fail within their first year. By the end of their fifth year, roughly 50 percent of small businesses fail. After 10 years, the survival rate drops to approximately 35 percent.Oct 3, 2018

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:35 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Comet, I believe that hut you speak of was built as a temporary beach bar for use during the major overhaul and construction for the then new Water's Edge Restaurant.
Then came Mr. Froyo (frozen yogurt) and then the souvenirs or something stand.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:48 pm 
Freshman

comet07 wrote:
On our last visit to CLBR last September noticed that the small hut near the beach had a new business that arranged tours. Don't know if that was Full Throttle.
That small hut has had several businesses that didn't last long - recall an ice cream shop and a gift shop. Many years it was unoccupied. Have never noticed much action at any of the businesses that set up there.

Yes that was them...We'll be back in July and curious if it will be used for something else.