The Aruba Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here



CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:58 pm 
Offline
Junior

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:18 pm
Posts: 81
Location: Rochester, NY
Hello,

we haven't been to Aruba in several years. Where is the most competitively priced place to buy spirits and wine?

Thanks in advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:12 pm 
Offline
Sophomore

Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 4:49 pm
Posts: 41
Buy before you get into Aruba. DUTY FREE is by far your best bet.
Alcohol has new taxes recently added ( called supin tax), you’ll find drinks on average up by $2 each.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:44 am 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:12 pm
Posts: 860
Location: East Central New Hampshire
Romar Trading Co., Cash and Carry. Located at Schotlandstraat 71 just east of the Divi Links this warehouse looking building carries only imported beverages; i.e., no Balashi.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:13 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:28 pm
Posts: 1143
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Alcohol on Aruba is outrageously expensive!

Buy some at your departure Duty Free shop and put it in your luggage. When you get to Aruba, buy a liter per person (which is the limit) at the Duty Free near where you pick up your luggage and carry that with you as you leave. They never check suitcases.

_________________
Aruba, One Happy Island!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:28 am 
Offline
Junior

Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:04 am
Posts: 91
Location: Near Charlotte, NC
Duty Free, at baggage claim.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:53 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:17 pm
Posts: 7162
Arrive drunk.

_________________
It's a simple case of Mind over Matter.
I don't Mind and you don't matter. Brother Barry


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:31 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:49 am
Posts: 322
Location: Central MA
What time does the duty free close on a Saturday night?

_________________
[img][url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/][/img]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:43 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:05 pm
Posts: 813
Location: HAMILTON, ONT, CANADA
arubamikey wrote:
Alcohol on Aruba is outrageously expensive!

Buy some at your departure Duty Free shop and put it in your luggage. When you get to Aruba, buy a liter per person (which is the limit) at the Duty Free near where you pick up your luggage and carry that with you as you leave. They never check suitcases.


This strategy would have worked in the past but they are now checking your luggage as you are about to leave the baggage area; nice surprise for us last April when they were xraying luggage at the exit.
But are they still doing this? I don't know. Maybe someone else who's been recently may know?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:13 pm 
Offline
Prolific

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:38 am
Posts: 223
Exactly how much has the tax increase raised the prices? I thought I read it was not that of a increase? Does it only affect full bottle purchases or single drink prices too?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:57 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:28 pm
Posts: 1143
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
cynthia wrote:
arubamikey wrote:
Alcohol on Aruba is outrageously expensive!

Buy some at your departure Duty Free shop and put it in your luggage. When you get to Aruba, buy a liter per person (which is the limit) at the Duty Free near where you pick up your luggage and carry that with you as you leave. They never check suitcases.


This strategy would have worked in the past but they are now checking your luggage as you are about to leave the baggage area; nice surprise for us last April when they were xraying luggage at the exit.
But are they still doing this? I don't know. Maybe someone else who's been recently may know?


In January, they just waved us through

_________________
Aruba, One Happy Island!
Image


Last edited by arubamikey on Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:22 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:01 am
Posts: 4902
Location: The Netherlands
It is hit or miss if they scan your luggage. Over the last three years, we experienced both. So the question is, are you willing to take the risk? Anoter option would be to just drink a bit less alcohol.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:01 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:04 pm
Posts: 19680
Just returned, I was not scanned upon my arrival. I didn’t notice any price difference at the duty free by baggage claim but honestly I can’t say that it hadn’t changed, but no sticker shock. Mixed drinks at bars seem to average between 8 and 10 and beer between 4 and 6. HI prices were the only sticker shock that I noticed but you do get full size beer. 2 beer and 2 mudslides non HH price was $42.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:45 am 
Offline
Freshman

Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:11 pm
Posts: 5
Does Romar sell beer as well? Looking for Heineken.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:01 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:12 pm
Posts: 860
Location: East Central New Hampshire
jjwflorida wrote:
Does Romar sell beer as well? Looking for Heineken.

Yes. They only offer imported beers so Balashi is not an option here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:36 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:28 pm
Posts: 1143
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
dutchdushi wrote:
It is hit or miss if they scan your luggage. Over the last three years, we experienced both. So the question is, are you willing to take the risk? Anoter option would be to just drink a bit less alcohol.



I have never seen them scan the luggage of US travelers. Once, I got on a line where they were scanning, and one of the agents asked me if I was coming from the US. When I said yes, he told me to get off the line and just go out the door.

_________________
Aruba, One Happy Island!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group