All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: California Lighthouse
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:26 pm 
Freshman

Getting conflicting info. Can you, or can you not, go up to the top of the California Lighthouse?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:43 pm 
Junior

What have you heard ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:21 pm 
Prolific

Yes. It's like $10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:26 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Yes, you can. We did it a couple of years ago and it was $8/person. We bought our tickets just inside the restaurant near the bar and it was just the two of us and the guide who went up.

37th trip to Aruba: New Year's Eve 2018/2019
Napa: March 2019
38th trip to Aruba: April/May 2019
Boston: July 2019
Paris: Sept/Oct 2019

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:31 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

It was closed a few months ago, because they had to do some maintenance. Not sure if it reopened after that.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:23 am 
Prolific

https://arubalighthouse.com/

On the above sight there are no dates available to purchase tickets so I would guess it has not reopened yet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:03 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Do they have an elevator?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:46 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

It seems you can clim the lighthouse tomorrow during Flag and Anthem Day. So, maybe it is open again? Or just for this one day?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:23 am 
Junior

I have to ask a question why would anyone pay to climb an extra few feet when you can stand at the base and get one of the best and I mean the best photo shots of the whole island ??????? You have to be kidding they actually charge ? more so who would pay???? is the money give to a worthy social cause on the island ????

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

The entrancefee is used to maintain the old buildings that form the heritage of Aruba. It is used wisely. There are a lot of people who like to climb it, just as there are people that climb the Haystack hill. Each their own.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:45 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

kris02420 wrote:
I have to ask a question why would anyone pay to climb an extra few feet when you can stand at the base and get one of the best and I mean the best photo shots of the whole island ??????? You have to be kidding they actually charge ? more so who would pay???? is the money give to a worthy social cause on the island ????

The view from the top is spectacular. You also get to climb up on the original steps and see how the inside is put together.
Would I do it every year??? Probably not. But well worth the couple bucks to do once.
Don't forget to tip the young man who takes you for the tour........

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:02 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

As Happy said, the experience is worth it for the view. Our tour guide let us stay up as long as we wanted and was very communicative about the lighthouse and Aruba in general. It is something I have only done once but would do again if we had guests that wanted to tour the lighthouse.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:59 am 
Freshman

kris02420 wrote:

Tourists climb to the tops of towers and buildings of all kinds by the thousands around the world every moment of every day. People like to get a different view from high up. What's so hard to understand about that? Also, you don't have to if you don't want to. Good grief.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:28 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Mike63 wrote:
kris02420 wrote:

Tourists climb to the tops of towers and buildings of all kinds by the thousands around the world every moment of every day. People like to get a different view from high up. What's so hard to understand about that? Also, you don't have to if you don't want to. Good grief.

Mike63, I see you are a new poster but don't be discouraged by some of the responses. Except mine of course. As mine are always pearls of wisdom. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:37 am 
Freshman

arubajoey wrote:
Mike63 wrote:
kris02420 wrote:

Mike63, I see you are a new poster but don't be discouraged by some of the responses. Except mine of course. As mine are always pearls of wisdom. :wink:

Just taken aback by all the vitriol and disrespect there is on this board. I used to go on cruises a lot, and always got on those boards, and everyone on those is always helpful and friendly. Here, not so much...maybe 20% of the people here are here for the right reasons. What a society we live in, where people feel free to spew hate while hiding behind a keyboard, when those same people, in person, would do no such thing and would happily hold the door open for you.