It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:26 am 
Senior

Today’s (March 11) edition has a piece questioning the island’s head-long rush toward over-development. It questions the impact on the future workforce, resources, real wealth generation and the education system. Many of the concerns shared on this board in recent years.

If the pdf version of the newspaper is posted, it is on pages 14 and 15.

I was surprised because:

1) nary a negative word is ever in the tourist newspaper

2 the writer of the piece is (edit: a former) director of tourism!

Edit: here’s a link

http://www.arubatoday.com/opinion-colum ... nd-or-foe/

Last edited by Western PA on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:11 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Don't tell eddy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:38 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

The writer, Jan Van Nes was also former general manager of Playa Linda Beach Resort from 2000 for 13 yrs. and 2013 was named as general manager of Blue Residences (condos) on Eagle Beach. I think he is still there!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:20 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

So the long time manager of a timeshare and now a recently build condo is against building another hotel? I wonder why.....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:29 pm 
Freshman

He's not wrong...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:07 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Miguel wrote:
He's not wrong...

No, he is not. But he is part of the problem as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:23 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I am not sure that tourism is necessarily a problem for Aruba. However they do need to take a good look at what they want going forward. So far tourism of one sort or another has become just about the only viable economic driver for the island. The plan to create another Palm beach type area for the cruisers at the old Bushiri site I see as doable, and if carefully controlled will result in another asset. They very much need to balance the open (beach and park) areas and built up areas. I also see an issue with building housing-condos, gated houses, more timeshares etc all over the island that almost all Arubans cannot afford. All that requires power, water and resources that are already limited. Not to mention land. Eventually that will just price out the Arubans from their own island.
Does San Nicholas and that whole part of the island have any large beaches that can accommodate a bunch of tourists? Baby Beach is already suffering from too many people and Rogers beach is really only a nice place because it is so deserted most of the time. Every time we have gone to Rogers the beach is OK, but the water quality a bit indifferent.
If they want to turn their whole island into Miami beach that is their call.....
(I do not vacation in Miami...…..)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:18 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Good issues here. Another is traffic...new cars arriving monthly...old cars stay....and some are in very rough shape and look dangerous. I had guests last week. We went to Palm Beach for one day...water quality was poor...jammed packed with people (and some were obnoxious....have not experienced that before).
Jamming people into condos (yes there may be limits but as we know....) attracts a different crowd. We really enjoy our little corner of the 'world' and grateful each day. However, I agree....I do not intend to spend time in Miami Beach either :wink:

Louis Tomlinson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:16 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I agree with Jan, however, he had no problem adding hundreds of new units at Playa Linda and Blue, where he was getting a percentage of sales...

Perhaps all the new construction is cutting into his ability to sell.

Follow the money, until it stops flowing into people's pockets, construction will continue unabated.

Between overcrowding and over-taxation, Aruba is writing it's own death warrant. Sad...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:19 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

The lovely Mrs. AJ and I have adopted a "head in the sand" "blinders on" policy when it comes to Aruba. Aruba is her go to place in the Caribbean. She is used to it and feels very comfortable there and for our once a year 10-14 days there we as I have said do a lot of nothing.

We see the vast overbuilding and crowded everywhere places but we shy away. I imagine there will come a day when enough is enough but that is hopefully a ways off.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:29 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Sadly I disagree :( Aruba may have the green light to build and build ! I go to many islands in the Caribbean and most are in terrible shape due to the Sargassum or seaweed . Aruba is somehow untouched by this problem . I just came back from Playa Del Carmen and although they cleaned the beaches of the seaweed the water was brown and yellow . I cancelled Grand Cayman and will probably head back to Aruba . I can't go on a beach that smells like rotten eggs and this problem can go on for years .

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:34 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

jaccli I have a friend who just came back from Grand Cayman and they did not experience any problems with the seaweed. I have seen it myself on other islands though, and it is absolutely a problem.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:31 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Yes it depends on the day ,but no thanks . I was caught up in one of those . Not pretty

The waters off South Florida, Mexico and in the Caribbean could see record amounts of sargassum seaweed again this year, researchers say.
A bulletin from the University of South Florida said the amount of sargassum in the Central West Atlantic had increased slightly from the record amount recorded in November.

That month, USF researcher Mengqiu Wang found more than double the November average of seaweed as measured between 2011 and 2017, the Palm Beach Post writes.

“That means 2019 could be similar to the situation in 2018 but whether it develops into a massive bloom may depend on environmental conditions such as temperature and nutrient availability,” Wang told the newspaper. “The most immediate impact would be in the Caribbean.”

Like red tide and blue-green algae that have fouled Florida beaches, sargassum is also an algae.

The brown algae form a seaweed that usually bunches up into huge mats. These mats provide shelter, food, breeding grounds and nurseries for a variety of marine life from fish to sea turtles and birds, according to the PBS Nature Now blog. The seaweed is usually found in the Sargasso Sea in the North Atlantic.