It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:26 pm 
Freshman

On our most recent visit to Aruba our rental car was damaged in the Divi Phoenix parking lot while parked. The accident was investigated by 2 insurance companies and the police. The Divi had video of the entire event as the event took place while the vehicle was parked. The police supposedly had the info on the vehicle that caused the damage and were going to follow up. Now the rental company wants me to pay $358.00 for the damage! I am now back in the US, the police never contacted me in the days after the event and there is no way for me to get the accident report. Does anyone know how I would obtain it, who to contact, or any info on how to handle this matter. Thanks in advance! PS- Love Aruba, first time having a rental car issue... Econo Car Rental .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:37 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Have you spoken to Econo. There is proof you did nothing wrong and they know who did why are they not going after that person/company. They are in Aruba so they should have the police report. I would ask them for a copy.

Did you ask them why you are being charged.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:43 pm 
Freshman

What happened is at the time they took the report they did not have the video information. So on the report it says damage done by person unknown. I had gone back to my room to get my drivers license and when I returned the hotel informed me the police had seen the video and had the info. But by that time they all had left and I had no proof. The day after the occurrence I went to the police station on the beach and they said they would email me the report after finding out who did it. Todate I still haven't heard from them, and because we left on March 3rd Carnival was on and the Monday after was a holiday so no info.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:04 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I agree...contact Econo and have them follow up with police. Econo is there on the island. Likely the police paperwork is not completed as yet....Carnival :wink: followed by holiday (Carnival Monday).

Louis Tomlinson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:51 pm 
Freshman

I have explained the entire situation to them several times, but they insist I pay. It was a small dent in the door. I don’t even believe the estimate. Will wait and see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:07 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

What credit card did you use? If Amex, and you take their $25 rental car insurance, turn it in to them and you will pay nothing. If it was a credit card with a deductible, you might have to pay. Part of the $358 could be for loss of service during the repair period. A week’s rental price is pretty standard. The sad thing is, they probably won’t even get it repaired.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:55 am 
Freshman

I used a Citi card Visa, and the damage is supposedly covered by them. But why should they or I be held responsible for the incompetence of the Police. I was told at the Divi by more than one person that the entire incident was seen on video. And the info was taken by the police. Clearly that should be enough to make claim against the party who caused the damage. My Citi Visa is my last resort in this matter. No one can tell me hiw I can contact the Arubian Traffic Police to investigate the incident.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:18 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

A very unfortunate situation that really ruins a good vacation experience. I believe I understand what may be happening here.

Looking at this from the Car Rental Agency's standpoint the renter is responsible for any damage to the vehicle regardless of cause. Therefore they have no interest in who actually caused the damage. They expect you to pay for it and it would be up to you to recover the damages from whomever actually did the damage. Maybe not fair but I believe that is the situation you are dealing with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:29 am 
Freshman

I would have to disagree with that. If your stopped at an intersection and you get rear ended and wind up in the hospital would it be your fault? Would you be expected to pay for the damage? The vehicle was parked, granted I do not believe the damage was done intentionally, but if I damaged someone’s car, I would leave a note. I guess that’s just me. Not to mention leaving the scene of an accident. Albeit a small dent, but still 358$!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Can you have the credit card company to hold this as a "disputed charge"? Meanwhile, supply the credit card company with ALL THE DETAILS on their specific form or via e-mail?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:42 pm 
Freshman

I have already notified them of the situation so will to wait to hear back from Econo Car Rental... hope the Police report has the offending vehicle info. Just have no way to get in touch with Aruba Police...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:28 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Even if Chuck and Lora were right this is a situation where the car rental company knows what happened and as an Aruban company has access to the police report likely right away. The person who did the damage was also probably known right away.

I rented from Econo two years ago and I wrote on this BB how pleased I was. Looks like they are a good place to do business as long as everything goes smoothly and you have no problems. Have to say Econo is off my list of car rental companies.

Lesson learned for the Divi and all resorts. When you check in and fill out your forms add the license of your rental car and if you rent after you check in make sure you give the info to the front desk. Great idea but will likely never be done.

Normally we would all love to know if this happened to us that there was immediate evidence to prove innocence and who the guilty people were. Guess that's not enough for Econo.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:37 pm 
Prolific

From personal experience, as everything else on the island, the police are very slow. I had a break-in and some expensive scuba gear was stolen from the trunk. After at least 5 calls and 1 1/2 hours later, a officer showed up and made the report. I was given the info on where to go to pick up the report and told it would be ready the next day. After 4 days of visits and it not being ready, they finally did it while I waited. I was handed a envelope with the report in it and left. I get back to the resort, open the envelope and the report was in Dutch (well yea it makes perfect sense now, LOL), back to the station and ask if I can get it in English. Sure but that will take a few days. 3 days later I left without getting it in English and the insurance company would not accept my claim with a report in Dutch! I did get the insurance from the rental company (something like 5 bucks a day)and they replaced the window at no charge. This insurance covers against anything that happens to the car unless you are going off roading (or so I am told) plus I have the credit card insurance. Never have had any issues.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:39 pm 
Freshman

I don't mind the Police being slow as long as they are not incompetent. I too tried to get the report several times with no luck. I even provided the officers name to the Rental Car Company. As much as I know Citi can afford the $358. I just don't think its right that I or them should be responsible for the damage when there was video of the event reviewed by Police. Live & Learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:06 pm 
Prolific

The phone number for the police department in Oranjestad is 001-297-527-3140. I don't know if that will be of help.