It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:57 pm 
Junior

Hi all! My husband and I will be staying at Aruba Beach Club starting tomorrow. Can you get a chickee any time in the morning or do you have to get up super early to secure? Also what is the process? Is it first come first serve?

Thanks for your help!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:24 pm 
Junior

Cheryl H wrote:
Hi all! My husband and I will be staying at Aruba Beach Club starting tomorrow. Can you get a chickee any time in the morning or do you have to get up super early to secure? Also what is the process? Is it first come first serve?

Thanks for your help!

Early , first come first serve and you have to ( physically)be at chickee with green ABC towels at 6 am when they come buy to check. Once they check to se you belong they move on till the 9 am check. followed by a 11 am check.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:51 pm 
Junior

Thanks for the detailed information...
So after 6am, normally all chickees are taken? In other words, if I come down at say 8am, there will be no chickees available?
Thanks!

kris02420 wrote:
Cheryl H wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Early , first come first serve and you have to ( physically)be at chickee with green ABC towels at 6 am when they come buy to check. Once they check to se you belong they move on till the 9 am check. followed by a 11 am check.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:29 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I get up early -like 5 am and stay at palapa until my husband comes down. We go in May and sometimes there are a few at 7 am. I believe come 9am Casa Del Mar people can take any empty ones. Come afternoon there are usually plenty to chose from.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:50 pm 
Junior

Cheryl H wrote:
Thanks for the detailed information...
So after 6am, normally all chickees are taken? In other words, if I come down at say 8am, there will be no chickees available?
Thanks!

kris02420 wrote:
Cheryl H wrote:

Thanks for your help!

I wouldn't say no chickees ! but certainly a limited amount if any. Early bird gets the worm as they say LOL

Last edited by kris02420 on Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:37 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

The sad part is how nonchalant and matter of fact we all are about this.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:16 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

kris02420 wrote:
Cheryl H wrote:

Thanks for your help!

As of April 1st, it doesn't matter what color towel is on it at 6:00am, hotel rules for securing a palapa are out the window :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:06 pm 
Junior

ronnieb wrote:
kris02420 wrote:
Cheryl H wrote:

Thanks for your help!

As of April 1st, it doesn't matter what color towel is on it at 6:00am, hotel rules for securing a palapa are out the window :D

Please explain the out the window rule for all of us ????????

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:18 pm 
Junior

ronnieb wrote:
kris02420 wrote:
Cheryl H wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Ronnie we're waiting for you to explain the out the window rule for us ???????? Don't leave us in suspense lol

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:09 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

kris02420 wrote:
ronnieb wrote:
kris02420 wrote:
Cheryl H wrote:

Thanks for your help!

Ronnie we're waiting for you to explain the out the window rule for us ???????? Don't leave us in suspense lol

I guess what Ronnie is saying is that the Aruban government says it will finally enforce the long time law that all palapas are public (because they are on beaches that are public) and that hotels are no longer allowed to rent them out. In fact, rumor is that many palapas will be taken away because the government find there are too many of them. They want the beach to be inviting for Aruba citizens and think all those palapas give the expression that the beach is only there for hotel guests. We will see if this is really going to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thank you Ingrid! :D The way it should be, I'll tell you next month, I have a copy of the new law with me :lol:

Last edited by ronnieb on Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:06 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

At ABC you never could rent or sign up for shade- you need to be there in person which is the way it should be. As far as the government saying the hotels don’t own them then I think the government should be maintaining them. When I am paying more money to stay at a hotel on a beach and paying all the ever escalating taxes to the government and then they start playing hardball on shade I am starting to think it may be time to start staying on a new island.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:09 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

mdzone59 wrote:
At ABC you never could rent or sign up for shade- you need to be there in person which is the way it should be. As far as the government saying the hotels don’t own them then I think the government should be maintaining them. When I am paying more money to stay at a hotel on a beach and paying all the ever escalating taxes to the government and then they start playing hardball on shade I am starting to think it may be time to start staying on a new island.

If your not an early riser, another Island is for you.Should be interesting to say the least :lol: I would think you would be able to pay a beach guy to put a towel over one in the morning, but the resorts can't make you stand in line at 4:00pm the day before any more to reserve one for the next day.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:22 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

ronnieb wrote:
mdzone59 wrote:

If your not an early riser, another Island is for you.Should be interesting to say the least :lol: I would think you would be able to pay a beach guy to put a towel over one in the morning, but the resorts can't make you stand in line at 4:00pm the day before any more to reserve one for the next day.

Exactly. And pay a lot of money for it. In my opinion that has always been a big rip off. Not to mention that certain hotels chase you from the palapas if you don’t have the right towels.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:40 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

mdzone59 wrote:

many feel the same way you do. not paying top dollar to be a part of a palapa free for all every vacation day. can only hope the hotels remove palapas and replace them with umbrellas that they set up at the crack of dawn every day. works for me.