It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:55 am 
Junior

So two years ago, in 2017, my wife and I did our usual visit to downtown. We arrived there around 10 AM and walked around looking through the shops and we walked all the way down Main St and we like to shop where the Arubans shop. You know stores where nothing has Aruba plastered all over the shirts. My lovely wife finds really unique fashions at really good deals. We also made our yearly trip to Ladies Choice shoe store. We walked down through Sea Port Mall and then back up along the cruise area finally having our annual lunch at Iguana Joe's.

After lunch we started walking back towards the small area that is covered with plastic that has towels and trinkets for sale and we purchased some beach towels.
We were set to go back to Palm beach and the Divi Phoenix and started to hail a taxi and could not get any to stop- this is where it gets crazy.

I turned to my lovely bride and said hey lets just walk back and if it gets too hot we can stop and try to get a taxi. My wife is a gamer and said OK.

So at 2PM in the afternoon bags in hand we stared walking back to the Divi Phoenix. So we started walking and at the beginning of Eagle Beach we walked over to the sea side and finally saw how beautiful and large this beach is. It was tough going so we walked though the Divi Village and started walking along the sidewalk that runs right in front of the low rises and we did walk all the way back to the Phoenix, crazy yeah we are but it is really beautiful to take your time and look at everything.

To show you how nuts we are we actually did it again in 2018.

So let me know if anyone else takes up the challenge to do an Aruba Walkabout!

See you March 30th at our second home.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:12 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Back in the '90's we walked from the Straw Market on the ocean side to LaCabana; we didn't do it twice :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:19 am 
Senior

Wow! had to be really hot that time of day. I know I could do it but not so sure about the wife, she doesn't handle the heat well. Maybe I will try it myself this July.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:41 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

That's nothing!

The lovely Mr.s AJ and I always walk from the airport with all our luggage down to the Phoenix.

Of course we spend the rest of the vacation in the hospital on an IV with heat exhaustion and third degree sunburn. But hey it's vacation right?

I have been trying to get the ambulance to follow us but they gave us their toll free number.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:07 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
That's nothing!

The lovely Mr.s AJ and I always walk from the airport with all our luggage down to the Phoenix.

Of course we spend the rest of the vacation in the hospital on an IV with heat exhaustion and third degree sunburn. But hey it's vacation right?

I have been trying to get the ambulance to follow us but they gave us their toll free number.

Ever since they built that sidewalk from town to the airport, I see hundreds of people walking with their luggage both ways! It epitomizes government at its finest! I only wish they would extend it to baby beach, so we could walk there instead of renting a car.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:59 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

We have done exactly as you did; went downtown from Costa Linda for shopping and walked back. Or walked downtown and took the bus back.
But last May I took it up a notch; walked from Costa Linda to downtown, rested a bit and hydrated, then turned around and walked back. I did this twice during our stay, on my own. Maybe I'll take hubby this year. See you on the sidewalk.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:15 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

The farthest we ever walked was from the Divi Beach & Golf resort down to the Marriott Stellaris.
We did walk from the Divi to downtown Oranjestad a few times during our stay.

May ‘19 - New Hampshire
July '19 - Playa Del Carmen, MX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:47 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubamikey wrote:
arubajoey wrote:
That's nothing!

Ever since they built that sidewalk from town to the airport, I see hundreds of people walking with their luggage both ways! It epitomizes government at its finest! I only wish they would extend it to baby beach, so we could walk there instead of renting a car.

I like the way you are thinking. What about making it a Aruban walkaround the entire island. The NY and Boston Marathons are 26 miles and Aruba is what 14 miles long so may be not a bad idea. No need to run it but seems many of you love walking.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:46 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Realize our first visit to Aruba was years ago. Obviously, we were younger and more capable of walking.
We would walk 1 mile to the supermarket...close to sunset. It was still hot.
We would limit our purchases for the carry-back, but it would still be a challenge.
Bravo to those who can sensibly tackle long walks.
We're driving now.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:51 am 
Prolific

You crack me up Joey! I just walked from Costa Linda to Divi Dutch Village and back and the whole time walking I was thinking of you and your wife and the luggage. Laughed my butt off!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Hey John...us too....lol

Sadly as the years have added up, our long walks are a thing of the past.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:34 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

When I'm in Aruba I walk from Casa del Mar to Amsterdam Manor and back every day at dawn. It takes about 45 minutes and it's one of my favorite things to do. I will be 70 next year.Our first trip to Aruba was in 1974.