It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:10 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

There's a new restaurant in Orangestad that's been getting great reviews on Trip Advisor. I haven't seen a menu posted, but there are many pictures of the food on trip advisor. The restaurant has a website, but there's not much
to see there: http://tastemyaruba.com/

Trip advisor info: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147248-d15000256-Reviews-Taste_My_Aruba-Oranjestad_Aruba.html

We're looking forward to trying it in September.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:09 pm 
Sophomore

I'm sure the restaurant is fine but for the record, I don't trust anything on Trip Advisor, they have been accused of many fraudulent practices. Judge a recommendation based on private reviews.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 7:02 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

pgsoder01 wrote:
I'm sure the restaurant is fine but for the record, I don't trust anything on Trip Advisor, they have been accused of many fraudulent practices. Judge a recommendation based on private reviews.

I've been posting HONEST reviews on TripAdvisor for many years. My standard practice (and one that my travel agent also endorses) is to eliminate the top 10% and the bottom 10% of reviews, and judge by the middle 80%. The top 10% could be shills, and the bottom 10% could be jealous competitors. That solid middle is probably close to the truth.

Can you elaborate on the "many fraudulent practices" that you mentioned? I'd be interested in hearing that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:33 pm 
Freshman

pgsoder01 wrote:

What are "private reviews"?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:44 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ccsuwxman wrote:
pgsoder01 wrote:

I've been posting HONEST reviews on TripAdvisor for many years. My standard practice (and one that my travel agent also endorses) is to eliminate the top 10% and the bottom 10% of reviews, and judge by the middle 80%. The top 10% could be shills, and the bottom 10% could be jealous competitors. That solid middle is probably close to the truth.

Can you elaborate on the "many fraudulent practices" that you mentioned? I'd be interested in hearing that.

I use Trip Advisor hotel reviews for almost all of our destinations (U.S., Mexico, Europe, etc. several times a year) when we are looking for a new hotel/different area or neighborhood or not renting an apt. and have never been steered wrong once. In fact, I have found some great places to stay BECAUSE of the reviews on Trip Advisor and the small details that I like to know about that can make a stay extra special. The same goes for restaurant reviews - especially when we are traveling to some place new. As noted above, you can't believe every review (and some people definitely have different tastes) but after reading a few you can definitely tell if the place is going to meet your needs or not. I reciprocate by posting my own hotel reviews from all the places we have traveled to help others making a hotel decision. I don't write restaurant reviews as much as I used to unless there is one that really stands out for whatever reason.

37th trip to Aruba: New Year's Eve 2018/2019
Napa: March 2019
38th trip to Aruba: April/May 2019
Boston: July 2019
Paris: Sept/Oct 2019

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:45 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

comet07 wrote:
There's a new restaurant in Orangestad that's been getting great reviews on Trip Advisor. I haven't seen a menu posted, but there are many pictures of the food on trip advisor. The restaurant has a website, but there's not much
to see there: http://tastemyaruba.com/

Trip advisor info: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147248-d15000256-Reviews-Taste_My_Aruba-Oranjestad_Aruba.html

We're looking forward to trying it in September.

They also have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/tastemyaruba/

37th trip to Aruba: New Year's Eve 2018/2019
Napa: March 2019
38th trip to Aruba: April/May 2019
Boston: July 2019
Paris: Sept/Oct 2019

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:11 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I appreciate others posting reviews & also try to post reviews after our yearly trip to Aruba.
I do get suspicious of reviews where the reviewer knows the chef's name, the owners name, the bartenders name, and the waitstaff's names. I also get suspicious of reviews where they trash the restaurant without providing any specifics. When I read a review where they write that that everything was terrible, don't waste your money here, there are plenty of other restaurants, etc - I get the impression that it was written by folks at another restaurant. We have our favorites that we frequent every trip, but like to fit in some new places & the reviews do help to filter down the new places to try.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:06 pm 
Sophomore

I'm sure Trip Advisor may be a help to many but I have seen where companies actually hire employees to post positive reviews to boost their status on Google and other search engines.Just Google Trip Advisor complaints and fraud to enlighten yourself. Did you ever buy something with rave reviews only to find it is garbage and not as advertised? My message is buyer beware. I rely on private posts from personal experiences. This forum does a good job of that.