The Aruba Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here



CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:40 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:47 am
Posts: 3425
Port City Oranjestad approved valued at US$550 million in investments

Image


The government of Aruba approved the major master-plan to transform the former freezone area of
Oranjestad into a mixed use development by the name of Port City. The plan calls for a mix of retail
businesses, boutique hotels, residential complexes, offices, Aruba World Trade Center, recreational
zones (including the Aruba Botanical Gardens), a marina, a boardwalk from the cruise terminal towards
the Tamarijn Beach Resort, and a waterfront entertainment stage. The Bushiri Beach will remain public and easily accessible to cruise passengers.

Port City intends to connect people, urbanity, and the Caribbean Sea with each other, in what is to
became a vibrant urban section complimentary to downtown Oranjestad. In fact this plan is an
expansion of downtown Oranjestad towards the West. The plan will encompass an area of
approximately 20 acres, and will include a waterfront park accessible to the public.

The master-plan is divided into different plots with their set individual requirements. Investors will be
invited in the near future by the government to present their propositions per plot. The architectural
design of the buildings, and overall urban ambiance will reflect that of the Dutch tropical Caribbean.
Meaning pastel colors buildings, in so maintaining the cultural characteristics of Aruba. The government
will do its part on infrastructure investments which will include a new road alongside the park at the waterfront.

Port City is estimated at US$550 million worth in investments of which US$500 million from investors
and private contractors. The master-plan will take up to 10 years to be completed. The master-plan is
designed by OZ Architects in collaboration with the Port of Amsterdam, and Aruba Ports Authority. The plan is set to start

https://www.ozarchitect.nl/projects/por ... bor-front/

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:44 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 1709
Location: Ct.
To be completed in 10 years? Yeh right.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:35 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:28 pm
Posts: 1144
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Conlyn wrote:
To be completed in 10 years? Yeh right.



:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
Aruba, One Happy Island!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:50 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:31 pm
Posts: 1495
Thanks for the info Eddy. Glad to see that a good use will be made out of what used to be an eyesore.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:16 am 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:10 pm
Posts: 403
Location: Alto Vista, Aruba
arubamikey wrote:
Conlyn wrote:
To be completed in 10 years? Yeh right.



:lol: :lol: :lol:


No, you guys are misreading it. The PLAN is to be completed in 10 years, and I'd believe that. Who knows how long the building of it will take, though...

:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:12 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 1709
Location: Ct.
bryanzs wrote:
arubamikey wrote:
Conlyn wrote:
To be completed in 10 years? Yeh right.



:lol: :lol: :lol:


No, you guys are misreading it. The PLAN is to be completed in 10 years, and I'd believe that. Who knows how long the building of it will take, though...

:lol:


Aha I see, 10 years to plan it. But I'd bet that 20 or even 30 years from now people will be asking "Hey, whatever happened to that plan for Port City they talked about way back in 2019?"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:23 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2002 5:47 am
Posts: 3425
First phase will start in the fourth quarter of 2019. Which includes the construction of a boutique hotel, and the upgrade of Bushiri Beach, with all beach facilities.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:54 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:03 pm
Posts: 1709
Location: Ct.
Eddy wrote:
First phase will start in the fourth quarter of 2019. Which includes the construction of a boutique hotel, and the upgrade of Bushiri Beach, with all beach facilities.


And they (whoever "they" are) at the same time will still be working on the green corridor? That's been in the works since what year? And still not finished. And the by pass from the airport to the high rise area? Where will all the manpower come from to work on these two unfinished projects plus start this new one?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:02 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:17 pm
Posts: 7164
Great idea but not practical. One word ROADS.

Have any of you ever tried to drive downtown when the cruise ships are in town which is every day. From 9:00ish in the morning until 6:00ish at night it's almost impossible to get through town. If you dare go it's an hour to navigate.

_________________
It's a simple case of Mind over Matter.
I don't Mind and you don't matter. Brother Barry


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:10 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:28 pm
Posts: 1144
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
arubajoey wrote:
Great idea but not practical. One word ROADS.

Have any of you ever tried to drive downtown when the cruise ships are in town which is every day. From 9:00ish in the morning until 6:00ish at night it's almost impossible to get through town. If you dare go it's an hour to navigate.


The problem is people crossing the roads. They need to build pedestrian bridges OVER the roads, so traffic is not constantly stopped.

_________________
Aruba, One Happy Island!
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:47 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:17 pm
Posts: 7164
arubamikey wrote:
arubajoey wrote:
Great idea but not practical. One word ROADS.

Have any of you ever tried to drive downtown when the cruise ships are in town which is every day. From 9:00ish in the morning until 6:00ish at night it's almost impossible to get through town. If you dare go it's an hour to navigate.


The problem is people crossing the roads. They need to build pedestrian bridges OVER the roads, so traffic is not constantly stopped.


A great idea but how do you direct the thousand of people who come off the multiple cruise ships to use the one or two bridges.

_________________
It's a simple case of Mind over Matter.
I don't Mind and you don't matter. Brother Barry


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:51 am 
Offline
Prolific

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:38 am
Posts: 224
I would think some type of barrier along the road on both sides would help move the pedestrian traffic towards one of 3 bridges. One at the start of the trolley, one at casino entrance and the other at the main entrance to the large parking lot. At those 3 locations, there would really be no inconvenience to anyone wanting to cross. You may be able to get away with only 2 bridges and still keep the traffic moving.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:56 am 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:02 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Stamford, CT
Arubadan wrote:
I would think some type of barrier along the road on both sides would help move the pedestrian traffic towards one of 3 bridges. One at the start of the trolley, one at casino entrance and the other at the main entrance to the large parking lot. At those 3 locations, there would really be no inconvenience to anyone wanting to cross. You may be able to get away with only 2 bridges and still keep the traffic moving.


Exactly, just like on the Las Vegas strip, it is pretty much impossible to cross the street unless you use one of the over the street bridges.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:48 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:17 pm
Posts: 7164
mrem3200 wrote:
Arubadan wrote:
I would think some type of barrier along the road on both sides would help move the pedestrian traffic towards one of 3 bridges. One at the start of the trolley, one at casino entrance and the other at the main entrance to the large parking lot. At those 3 locations, there would really be no inconvenience to anyone wanting to cross. You may be able to get away with only 2 bridges and still keep the traffic moving.


Exactly, just like on the Las Vegas strip, it is pretty much impossible to cross the street unless you use one of the over the street bridges.


Build a wall.

Let's make Aruba great again.

_________________
It's a simple case of Mind over Matter.
I don't Mind and you don't matter. Brother Barry


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:25 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:54 am
Posts: 582
Location: Montreal
Conlyn wrote:
To be completed in 10 years? Yeh right.

I'm 57 and I'm sure that I won't be able to see the end of it...

_________________
Pierre


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group