The Aruba Forums
It is currently Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:36 am 

I have been asked to go in on purchasing a 5 bedroom home in the Noord area of Aruba with the intention of renting it out. My question is , has anyone done this and what has the rental history been like and are rentals still a good bet with all the uncertainty in Venezuela. Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:16 am 
Prolific

I, over the years, have heard horror stories about homes being rented out long term and the almost impossibility of getting the tenants evicted. Be careful.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:50 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

quarteratthetrop wrote:
I, over the years, have heard horror stories about homes being rented out long term and the almost impossibility of getting the tenants evicted. Be careful.

Correct - the nightmare that Lizzardo suffered through doing a long-term rental to that lawyer was truly awful. If you rent, I think it should be for short-term to a tourist. Dutch Dushi rents a home from Aquaman(I think) for around a month.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:17 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Yes, I rent a house for 4 to 6 weeks a year. There are many others that do so. But every kind of house has his own market. The house you talk about would be out of my pricerange, I guess. And most sound advice here is to inform yourself very good about the Aruban law. The protection of renters is much better than in the States. So know what you get in to.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:47 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

5 bedroom? I can just see the college kids and/or the little angels from some family "enjoying" your place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:35 pm 
Prolific

I agree it is very important to educate yourself on ALL the Aruban laws regarding owning and renting a home. I know of a few that relied on real estate brokers to take care of everything for them and still got burned. I have done a little reading on the topic and quickly realized it was not for me. Good luck with your investment!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:25 pm 
Sophomore

Purchasing a condominium and renting it will be a much safer option. We considered buying a house but heard many stories about renters who wouldn't leave. We own a condo and rent it when we are not in Aruba.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:23 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Personally I wouldn't touch it ... but I agree with those who have said be sure to get good advice and to understand local laws. Even where I live it can be EXTREMELY difficult to get bad renters out of a house. Reading the tribulations of some who post on this board, I gather this is also true in Aruba. On top of that, you don't have the advantage of being able to actually read most documents.

If I was going to invest in this way, I would more likely look at a condo and I would consider it a vacation rental property (rental increments of weeks, not months or years).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:07 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I agree with what has already been stated. In addition, if buying a condo check everything out....especially the financials....you want to have the financial pages checked by a local accountant and you want the # of condo owners not paying monthly fee.

Louis Tomlinson