Any word on this ferry service?

Post subject: Re: Aruba Curacao Ferry
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:55 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Nothing yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:29 pm 
Prolific

Apparently they both just signed letter of intents so it is on to planning the construction. I really do not see how this will be a success, but who knows. The boats are going to have to be pretty big to deal with the waves and have any speed to make it a worth while trip.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:18 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Let's be honest folks. IF this gets done, I doubt that anyone here will still be alive and if we are we won't be in any condition to travel to Aruba.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:14 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadan wrote:
Apparently they both just signed letter of intents so it is on to planning the construction. I really do not see how this will be a success, but who knows. The boats are going to have to be pretty big to deal with the waves and have any speed to make it a worth while trip.

Everything I read says 800 passengers and 300 cars which means any ferry would be around 300 feet long.
One article say 120 metres tall which has to be a misprint as that makes it almost 400 feet high.
I've seen a price of 100 florin ($55 USD) mentioned which seems cheap for such a long voyage.
Even a high speed ferry would take over two hours between Aruba and Curacao (70 miles). Bonaire is another 50 miles.

We say that there is no choice only to comfort ourselves with a decision we have already made.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:15 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Everyone is always so exited to go to Aruba, why are they always looking to go somewhere else once they are there?

We say that there is no choice only to comfort ourselves with a decision we have already made.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:33 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Angelo wrote about it in his January 10th "Breaking News About Aruba" issue at http://www.vacationsbyaruba.com/recent- ... ents-2019/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:07 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I get seasick, so it's the airport for me. Have fed the fish on various vessels in various waters (Caribbean, North Sea, Atlantic Ocean) so I am done with travelling by water. The only way I don't get sick is by hovercraft; crossed the English Channel with zero nausea.
I really like Curacao and would love to go back via Aruba, but its going to be by plane.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:33 am 
Prolific

ScubaBOS wrote:
Arubadan wrote:

Everything I read says 800 passengers and 300 cars which means any ferry would be around 300 feet long.
One article say 120 metres tall which has to be a misprint as that makes it almost 400 feet high.
I've seen a price of 100 florin ($55 USD) mentioned which seems cheap for such a long voyage.
Even a high speed ferry would take over two hours between Aruba and Curacao (70 miles). Bonaire is another 50 miles.

A vessel that big must travel 35 MPH to go 70 miles in 2 hours! That is going to be one scary ride! LOL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:25 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Arubadan wrote:
ScubaBOS wrote:
Arubadan wrote:

A vessel that big must travel 35 MPH to go 70 miles in 2 hours! That is going to be one scary ride! LOL

When you check the specs of high speed ferries, a lot of them say that they are capable of 35/40 knots (40/45mph), but the maximum speed a vessel can travel at and their cruising speed are two different things.
Travelling east, you're headed into the Tradewinds and going against a current. The seas between A and C can be very rough.
That does make for a very scary ride indeed.
Even though most articles seems to claim 300 cars, I doubt rental agencies would allow you to take on for their cars off island, and once you start adding on trucks, the number of cars you carry drops dramatically.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:38 am 
Prolific

Yea, 40mph into 3-5 foot rollers for 2 hours will surely end well! :lol: No thanks!