The Aruba Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Holiday Inn Palapas
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:11 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

cmc wrote:
ArubaJoey, I've been wondering where you've been. Thanks for showing up. I saw a guy at Divi Druif show up at 7 in the morning, grab two pallapas and 6 chairs and never returned until 2 in the afternoon and there were attendants present. Do you think their palms got greased? Happens all the time. Ronnie you got the right idea; pick up the placeholders and bring them to the front desk.

You are so right. At timeshares it's greased palms and long termers who feel they can do what they want. They also know that there is no recourse. I did see a women this year walk over to a palapa pick up stuff that had been there unattended around 1:00 PM and put it on top of a trash can.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:11 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

This is off the HI website.

Q. How do I reserve a palapa?
A. The Palapa is the small wooden structure on the beach resembling an umbrella. Every day at the Ocean Side Towel Hut starting at 3:45pm a hotel representative will start handing out raffle tickets (1 ticket per room). At 4:00pm raffle will start; once your number is called, with your raffle ticket you can reserve the Palapa of your choice from the available Palapas for next day use. Once you have made your reservation, please be at your Palapa by 10:30am as our staff starts the process of reassigning the Palapas that are not being used.

Please be advised that Aruban laws regarding private shade structures on government beach land are changing and now state that these structures will become property of the land, hence it is illegal for a hotel to reserve a shade structure on government land for their guests. The shade structures will soon be handled as first come first serve, however until March 31 2019 our current Palapa practice will continue. *

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:52 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

People are just going to start sleeping under their palapas all night.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:23 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

corona_12oz wrote:
People are just going to start sleeping under their palapas all night.

Well, that does save you from paying taxes.... :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:30 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Unless you sleep all morning :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:37 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

For what it is worth (probably not much) on the Hilton website you can reserve palapas in April after the new rule will be in effect.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:29 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Same at the Hyatt.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:43 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

mrem3200 wrote:
For what it is worth (probably not much) on the Hilton website you can reserve palapas in April after the new rule will be in effect.

Not according to the new law, first come, first served. :D See ya on the beach at 5:00am :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:10 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Does anyone have a actual copy of this semi-mysterious "law".

I have heard about it forever but would like to read what it says.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:20 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:

Read my post above Joey, off of the HI website from the government.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:09 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:

I did read the law on the website of the government. It is in Dutch. Basically, it does say what is posted by the HI: the beach is public, so are all the structures on it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:33 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:

Here's a blurb from Rona Coaster that gives a bit of the background and what it means to the hotels....

https://batibleki.wheninaruba.com/bati- ... 27th-2019/

"BUREAUCRATIC HELL

Mid 2017, there was a demand to pay the imposed PRECARIO amount, otherwise the resorts’ Tiki huts on the beaches, will be subject to demolition.

At that time, GOA imposed a RENTAL fee per square meter on the beach, WITHOUT cleaning it, maintaining it or policing it; no life-guards, no first-aid, no trash cans, no replenishment of sand, that was all on the hotels’ dime!

And mind you, the beach is not a kiosk or a permanent money-making structure for the resorts, on the contrary. The beach is a service they provide their guests, including chairs and shade. And to run that operation, the resorts offer employment to dozens of people, and spend vast amounts of cash for upkeep.

But the argument was, and is, that it is GOA’s land, and an exploitation fee must be levied.

The resorts did not object to the charge, they originally protested the crazy amounts, but at the end were happy to pay a lump sum, when the pay scale was modified. One GM told me his property was charged in excess of, gulp, Awg 360.000, per year.

Basically, you understand that they are paying GOA considerable amounts for chairs and umbrellas.

So where do we stand on weddings, and banquets and event?

Well, that is an additional charge.

And GOA set it at Awg 135 per square meter, per event, requiring each an INDIVIDUAL PERMIT every time you set up a beach wedding, which is probably 100 times a year per resort, and every time you host anything from beach Olympics to welcome receptions, and those are numerous every day, at all properties.

Some friendly lawyer I spoke to explained the resorts have reluctantly accepted that policy, GOA needs money and is leaning heavily on them. But what they find is unbearable, is the BUREAUCRACY.

You have to fill a form, attach a business permit, a tax number, a valid KVK, an ID, file it in personally, no electronic options, pay the amount, get a copy, get it stamped, wait for the paper-pushers to push the papers, then collect the permit, ahead of each function, hundreds of times a year.

(And if a function is rained out. Do you get a refund?)

You get my drift: The insistence on individual permits creates a bureaucratic hell. The resorts have to hire permit-chasers, then GOA must recruit permit-processors, more paperwork, more lost docs, more opportunity for corruption to rear its ugly head.

Why not charge a flat fee for beach events.

Some of the resorts reported the Police has been making rounds to enforce that hellish, cumbersome policy.

Their time would be better served if they policed Fisherman’s Huts to see if the watersport company owners of the ugly shipping containers are in compliance of their agreements, to move further inland and ‘create more open beach areas.’

As it stands right now, Fishermen’s Huts beach is no longer visible from the road, it is completely blocked by containers. Who will police that?"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:39 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I think the government will eventually end this palapa thing , they are an eyesore :cry: but the main reason is the beaches are public . This mean the citizens of Aruba come first . The money that the tourist bring in and all the whining and threats from this BB won't change a thing . Why ? If we piss off the citizens enough they will vote in a government that will do what's in their interest. Votes have always been and always will be more important than money :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:14 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

jaccli wrote:
I think the government will eventually end this palapa thing , they are an eyesore :cry: but the main reason is the beaches are public . This mean the citizens of Aruba come first . The money that the tourist bring in and all the whining and threats from this BB won't change a thing . Why ? If we piss off the citizens enough they will vote in a government that will do what's in their interest. Votes have always been and always will be more important than money :D

I am guessing you mean what is in the governments best interest. Can you name any place where the elected governments do what the people want rather then their own self/lobby interests.

Maybe it's me but I don't see the Aruban people coming to Palm Beach or Eagle Beach resorts and plopping themselves under a palapa. What I do see are tourists staying in places away from the beaches making use of the palapas.

Every resort should install an on line or day before registration system. This will insure that people don't have to get up at 4:30 AM and since it's one palapa per reservation keep people from "claiming" several palapas at a time for their friends and family. That to me is more of a problem especially at timeshares. Greasing beach staff to hold spots would also go away.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:01 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I tend to agree with AJ on the question of whether the locals will become a threat to overcrowding Palm or Eagle Beach. But the question of doing away with the palapas.......

After our second trip to Aruba (we've now made nine). we quit shopping other Caribbean destinations. We settled on Aruba as our beach vacation destination primarily due to three factors: reasonably priced hotels, (remember, this was 10 years ago), a great number of good, moderately priced restaurants, and even though the Aruba sun is brutal, the abundance of palapas made for a great day at the beach.

Reasonably priced hotels? Strike one
Moderately priced restaurants? Strike two
Abundance of palapas: Maybe strike three?

I suspect there are a lot of folks who feel somewhat the same way. I know we'll be shopping for alternate destinations if the palapas are removed.

"I'm the luckiest man alive.
This is the best day of my life."
............G. Strait

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next