The Aruba Forums
It is currently Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Holiday Inn Palapas
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:07 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

It's pretty simple and fair like it should be, first come first served :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:20 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Kevinaruba1 wrote:
Rules don't apply to mega resorts.

This would be incorrect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:41 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

We at Costa Linda have been aware of this issue with the palapas and the government for a few years now. And the money it is costing us. And it is in the back of my mind; why keep coming here if the government keeps heaping on the taxes. Sure, we love Aruba. But there are other great places to go. I've heard of some who are going to other places now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:54 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

cynthia wrote:
We at Costa Linda have been aware of this issue with the palapas and the government for a few years now. And the money it is costing us. And it is in the back of my mind; why keep coming here if the government keeps heaping on the taxes. Sure, we love Aruba. But there are other great places to go. I've heard of some who are going to other places now.

:lol: Because of palapa's :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:38 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ArubaAmy wrote:
MuyLinda23 wrote:
So someone staying off the beach somewhere can get in their car at 3:00 am and camp out at the Bucuti for the day using a palapa? What about chairs? What's the incentive for paying for a beachfront hotel now that doesn't own it's own palapas? Am I missing something here?

This law has been around a long time but never enforced regarding the palapas in that they are structures on a public beach and can be used by anyone. Chairs, however, are resort property and can only be used by hotel guests. So technically (according to the law) you can use any palapa anywhere.

The Bucuti was ahead of the game and removed ALL of their palapas several years ago. They then added beach umbrellas which are not permanent beach structures. So only Bucuti guests can use these umbrellas. If you wanted to go sit under a palm tree, however, on the beach in front of the Bucuti, that is perfectly legal - you just need to bring your own chair or towel.

Thanks ArubaAmy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:32 am 
Prolific

ronnieb wrote:
cynthia wrote:

:lol: Because of palapa's :lol:

Ronnie, being a timeshare owner, all of the cost the government keeps piling on affects us directly because the money needs to come from somewhere which directly raises our maintenance fees. I too know of people who have sold or just plain surrendered their weeks because of the mounting costs. Right now it is not a problem because there are others willing to pay the cost, but IMO, there will be a point where they have gone to far and things will start going the other way. The taxes for a 2 week stay have gotten ridiculous.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:07 am 
Junior

jack. let me know if you can on the palapa situation when you get down there. ill be down on the 27th
thanks Steve

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:36 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Rules don't apply to mega resorts????

Why?
If true, how is that allowed to happen? Are government bigwigs 'on the take'? The Marriotts, the Hyatt, the Hilton, the Riu, you're saying somehow get away with some things on the beach because of "..............."?

That type of activity would be impossible to hide as folks do talk. Or, do they even try to hide it?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:51 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We stayed at MVC Eagle Beach in November. It's a lovely little resort, however, I doubt we will stay there again. The beach has been overrun by the vendors renting beach chairs/ umbrellas etc. I can tell you that the "first come, first served" is in full force there. The palapas that formerly were restricted to MVC guest use are now up for grabs by anyone and everyone. Most of the cruise people are dumped at this part of Eagle Beach. They rent chairs from the vendors, and if they don't want to rent an umbrella, they will take any open (or - with other people's belongings present- but that's another story) The beach attendant at MVC does his best to try to accommodate the MVC guests, by putting towels and chairs under a few palapas to 'reserve' them for guests. But the vendors know the game, and they will put their customers under a 'reserved' palapa anyway. The bus/taxi drivers also know the game, and the tell their passengers they can use any palapa they want. We saw more than one heated exchange between the MVC beach attendant and the vendors. All the new Eagle Beach condos have also added to the number of people fighting for space and shade in that area. Not to mention the huge MESS that the cruisers left on the beach. Beer bottles, water bottles, beer boxes, and general trash. They just took off and left it. Several MVC guests actually cleaned it up.

It's too bad, because I really do like MVC, but I don't want to deal with what goes on at that area of Eagle Beach.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:48 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Just like here in the states, it sounds to me that some hairbrained bureaucrat needed something to do, so he decided to make life a little more difficult for the people who pay the bills that sustain his salary.

I get out early, but I don't particularly like to have to stand guard the entire day for my stuff. So if this is enforced, it will be a real pain in the ass.

Note: We were at the HI in November, and the palapas, and who got to use them, were still under the control of the Hotel.

"I'm the luckiest man alive.
This is the best day of my life."
............G. Strait

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:32 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

For me the answer is there is no answer.

Having stayed at timeshares and hotels in Aruba there is a difference.

At timeshares you have the same people coming the same weeks for years and years and they have their palapas/areas. I have seen one person come down at 5:30 AM and put "markers" at several palapas in a row and then leave to come back just as the beach staff open up the lounges and chairs at 7:00 AM. There is a "security" person who comes around at 7:00ish or 9:00ish to check people in. He does and he doesn't. Maybe he will come back a few hours later and takes a look, writes notes and walks away. Waste of time. I have never seen them take stuff away from a palapa and there is a very tiny sign that states you have two hours to be there or be gone. What they need are BIG signs at the towel hut, in the rooms and at sign in.
Management obviously does not want to rock the boat and get "owners" upset so basically everyone does what they want. So you want a palapa at the Divi Phoenix better be down there by 5:-5:30 AM.

Hotels are different. There you have people staying for 7 days (maybe six beach days) so I think that you can have/set up a reservation, pre-paid system and people would not mind. The old Radissson had the day before sign up which I liked. It opened up at 3:00 and it was a break from the sun and sand, got in line with drink in hand had a chance to chat with people and knew that I didn't have to be up before the sun and had till 9:00ish to get down to the palapa.

This type system should adopted by EVERY timeshare/resort in Aruba. This way you know you have a palapa, the resort/security know who has it and if you are not there when you should be the next person can get it. This way no one can hold several palapas for them and their friends.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:38 pm 
Freshman

Very True, the hassles at Aruba resorts are starting to outweigh the benefits. Taxes, fees, Palapa disputes, etc, etc, many people will explore other destinations in my opinion. It's certainly not like it used to be.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I'm all for the first come rule which it should be, BUT, if I see a palapa say next to me not being used for more than 2 hours, I'll tell the beach guy to take there stuff to the front desk, I have been know to take towels off loungers for the violators, this should be interesting :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ronnieb wrote:
I'm all for the first come rule which it should be, BUT, if I see a palapa say next to me not being used for more than 2 hours, I'll tell the beach guy to take there stuff to the front desk, I have been know to take towels off loungers for the violators, this should be interesting :lol:

So YOU took my towel. I get you my pretty.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:59 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

ArubaJoey, I've been wondering where you've been. Thanks for showing up. I saw a guy at Divi Druif show up at 7 in the morning, grab two pallapas and 6 chairs and never returned until 2 in the afternoon and there were attendants present. Do you think their palms got greased? Happens all the time. Ronnie you got the right idea; pick up the placeholders and bring them to the front desk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next