Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Re: Holiday Inn Palapas
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:54 am 
Junior

beachjack wrote:
Didn’t expect so many replies but thanks to all.
Just returned from 2 weeks at Holiday Inn Aruba. The beach and palapas situation is not settled as the government says that all are to be cleared from the public part of the beach by March 1st 2019 but hotels are still pushing back. Here is what I was told and observed:
1. Walking the beach/boardwalk from the Marriot to the Divi. Each hotel has many or all palapas and beach building structures over the blue monument line. HI has about 60% over the line. The entire towel hut and 30% of sea breeze restaurant is over the line.
2. The situation is worse for the Hilton, RUI and Divi as all are over the line.
3. HI hired a survey company that came in with satellite-based equipment while I was there and I watched them put in orange stakes in the ground to confirm the public-privet line. The stakes were not much different that the blue monuments.
4. Now with the survey done, the next step is to have the government come in and review and then negotiate exactly how many Palapas will be removed and if they need to remove beach structures as well.
5. If HI is told to move more palapas there tentative plan is to install and remove umbrellas each day for shade. If you are a high-status member, they may be free. Everyone else will have to pay a yet to be determined daily rental fee. This fee will cover the cost of additional staff needed to accomplish the extra work.
As I said this is still undefined but this is what they are thinking as of now, but that may change depending on the final determination of what needs to be moved.

Ok beachjack, never having stayed at the HI in Aruba nor would I, can you explain exactly what is a blue monument line and what are orange stakes ? last but not least what is a HI high status member and how does one attain that status at a HI ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:47 pm 
Senior

Blue monuments are on all the Palm Beach beaches designating the line between public and hotel owned beach area.

The survey company used satellite tech to confirm the public - hotel owned line. Then marked their findings by Pins in concrete and wood stakes in the sand that were painted orange.

You gain status by being a frequent stayer at HI properties. Top status after staying 75 night a year each year,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:42 pm 
Junior

beachjack wrote:
Blue monuments are on all the Palm Beach beaches designating the line between public and hotel owned beach area.

The survey company used satellite tech to confirm the public - hotel owned line. Then marked their findings by Pins in concrete and wood stakes in the sand that were painted orange.

You gain status by being a frequent stayer at HI properties. Top status after staying 75 night a year each year,

We ve stayed at a lot of resorts over our 40 years of going to Aruba never knew there were stakes on the beachs to seperate property from each resort or from private beach area to public . Sad to say I don't believer we'll ever gain HI high status . Thanks beachjack

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:33 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

kris02420 wrote:
beachjack wrote:

We ve stayed at a lot of resorts over our 40 years of going to Aruba never knew there were stakes on the beachs to seperate property from each resort or from private beach area to public . Sad to say I don't believer we'll ever gain HI high status . Thanks beachjack

At the Costa Linda resort on Eagle beach, the blue markers are made of cement, have a round shape, come up about a foot over the sand, and are about a foot (or more) in diameter. When I first noticed them, I assumed that they were markers between the Costa Linda and Bacuti resorts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:28 pm 
Sophomore

This palapa stuff is all bullshit. I've visited our Island for 20 years and won't be going back. Taxes, fees, beach rules, development, airport congestion, etc, all for the sanctity of the misguided. So many other Caribbean alternatives to choose from. Aruba is now a tourist trap, so sad.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:33 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Bottom line, you snooze you lose :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:04 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ronnieb wrote:
Bottom line, you snooze you lose :lol:

Think it is get a good nights sleep on vacation lose.