It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:11 pm 
Freshman

We are going to Aruba soon and we will need to have some routine (non-emergency) blood work done while we are there.
Does anyone have experience to share with something like this?
Where can we go in Aruba to have the blood drawn? Is it analyzed locally or sent off island? Will they accept an Rx written by a US doctor?
How quickly are the results available and can the report be faxed or emailed back to our physician in the USA?
Any idea of the charges for doing this blood work and will the cost be covered by our Medicare insurance? If not covered and this is not a emergency medical event, what kind of additional medical insurance should we consider buying ahead of time?
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:20 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

As a place to start I would contact Urgent Care. They do routine bloodwork and have their own certified lab. Tell them what you need and they will tell you the cost. while not covered by Medicare, not sure if travel insurance will cover it either. You will need to talk directly with someone at a travel insurance company. I have used this facility and while I can't remember the cost for bloodwork it was minimal. They will give you a printout and you can fax it to your doctor. They may fax it foryou but if not your hotel would be able to or go to an office supply place (more trouble). I fax at a bookstore not in the hotel area for about 50 cents a page.
There are many certified labs on the island but Urgent Care in Noord would be the easiest place I think.

http://www.urgentcare.aw/main/

Louis Tomlinson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:42 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Last few years, I've been getting blood tests done at the Noord Medical Center - no appointment is necessary. The have a sheet that lists all the blood tests & you check off which ones you want. The results are ready the same day & they'll email the results or you can pick them up. If you drive to the traffic light just past Bingo's, you make a left at the light & it's not too far down that road. I usually get the Cholesterol, Triglycerides, Kidney function, Glucose (and probably some others) - cost was around $50.

Here's link: http://lab.aw/locations/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:03 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Agree with comet. The lab in Noord. I go every year and it costs me $15.00. I have afib and they fax the results to the coumadin clinic and have results the same day. I have never waited more than 15 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:51 pm 
Prolific

My wife was in treatment for stage4 cancer. While here she needed INR blood tests done. The hospital could not have been more helpful. Cost around $20

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:09 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

comet07 wrote:
Last few years, I've been getting blood tests done at the Noord Medical Center - no appointment is necessary. The have a sheet that lists all the blood tests & you check off which ones you want. The results are ready the same day & they'll email the results or you can pick them up. If you drive to the traffic light just past Bingo's, you make a left at the light & it's not too far down that road. I usually get the Cholesterol, Triglycerides, Kidney function, Glucose (and probably some others) - cost was around $50.

Here's link: http://lab.aw/locations/

That is the same place I wrote of... :wink: .

Louis Tomlinson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:26 pm 
Freshman

Thanks everyone for this information and quick response.