It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:16 am 
Senior

I was thinking of adding a few days to our trip to Aruba in July and I was looking for some feedback about Renaissance Island, is it a good beach, if we stay at the Renaissance are the accommodations nice, Is it worth giving up the beauty of Eagle Beach? Any advice would be helpful.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:18 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We added a couple of nights and stayed at Renaissance on our last visit. It was expensive and the room was just average(that's being kind) as far as rooms go. While it was cool to take a boat ride out to the private island and mingle with the pink flamingo's, the novelty quickly wore off. We were 'warned' by staff for bringing our own cooler of beer. :lol: By the end of the day we couldn't wait to get back to our regular place on Eagle Beach for the remainder of our stay. Glad we did it, but wouldn't do it again. One time was enough for us.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:22 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

We booked a 3 day stay at Renaissance Ocean Suites in May 2018 and Renaissance Island was the highlight of the stay. Our room was very nice ie. recently remodelled with a gorgeous modern bathroom and a one bedroom unit with a king size bed. But overall the unit is small but totally doable. Watch out for what is called "ocean view". Our room was ocean view but only a small view of it. Happy hour was just that - happy. But our best day was going to Renaissance Island. Its a fair boat ride but I love boat rides so it was a bonus. There is an adult side and a family side. We went to the adult side and that's where most of the flamingos seemed to be. They would wander around the loungers and had no fear of humans. If you want more space and comfort you can rent a lounger bed under a roof but we enjoyed meeting and chatting with lots of friendly people on the many loungers set up under the trees. For some reason we all got friendlier during happy hour. I do remember a lot of laughing. We would go back to the island but do not necessarily want to stay at the Renaissance resorts. It was a little pricey bur maybe a few years down the road. Another thing to consider is that if you are a beach person, there is no usable beach at the Renaissance Ocean Suites. There is what I would call a swimming hole in the mud, so the pool or the island are the only real options for swimming. And the beach at the island is very shallow.
Hope this helps. I think it is an experience worth doing at least once.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:10 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Personally I would not deprive myself of a day on Eagle Beach. Having said that, a few years ago, it worked better for our flights to extend our stay by a couple of nights. So we spent those at the downtown Renaissance and then went out to the island for a day. It was a nice change of pace, we enjoyed the flamingoes, and the pool at the Renaissance had great cocktails and a Dj spinning at happy hour. Something different for us, and while we were staying downtown we took advantage of being "walking distance" to some favourite restaurants and made our reservations with them.

I think for a night or two it's worth having the experience if you are an Aruba regular and particularly if the opportunity presents to get a lower fare or easier flight when your usual time on Eagle Beach is up.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:21 pm 
Freshman

Absolutely love the Renaissance!
Have stayed there many times - when not staying at high rise or low rise.
Right in town, beautiful pool above the main street, great sightseeing, walkable to everything and the launch from the hotel to the Island is a bonus.
Once on the Island, you can go to adult or family side. We go to the adult. Unfortunately they have put "cabanas" on the far jetty. Hopefully not the other side by now.
Definitely more secluded, more of an adventure;
Sandy beach wise?-sometimes great,sometimes coral.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:41 pm 
Sophomore

So why not split your stay, try Ren for one or 2 nights?

The Ren has 2 resorts, Marina Tower and Ocean Suites. First being adult only, 2 per room. The Suites, is just that, 1 king bedroom, living room, workable small kitchen and good size double sink bathroom with walk in shower, sleeps 4. All rooms have balconies. Odd number rooms face pool and lagoon. Rooms redone a few years ago, modern and tasteful.
The private island is the huge draw at the resort. We personally like the family side, more loungers, close to restaurant, red sail sports, bathroom and great beach service. Both adult and family side have rentable cabanas, which imop are bucket list items. Take the boat out every 15 minutes for a nice ride there.
We’ve owned for 26 years at the Ren, the resort is both timeshare and hotel. Walkable great restaurants are; casa Tua, Dutch pancake house, Cuba’s Cooking, Whilhelmina, MAROC, LGSmith steakhouse, the West Deck, Iguana Joes, driftwood, Italy of the World, Pinchos, Barefoot etc....

Did I convince you?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:43 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We might book a room there for the island experience next year. Just 1 day, might be cheaper than a day pass for two.