All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Stand up and
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:34 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Why do the check out women in the Aruban supermarkets sit? Is it such a hard job. They don't do anything but push the stuff through the scanner and push it down. They don't pack the groceries.

Why are there only young guys who seem more like they are there to entertain each other then pack groceries and when they do they are looking for a tip.

Where are the male check outers and women baggers.

Post subject: Re: Stand up and
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:03 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

That the cashiers sit and don’t pack the groceries is Dutch style. But we don’t have guys that pack groceries in our country, we just do that ourselves. I have seen girls at Super Food that pack groceries, but only one or two.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:02 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:
Why are there only young guys who seem more like they are there to entertain each other then pack groceries and when they do they are looking for a tip.

Baggers, we've been told, don't actually get paid. They rely totally on tips when they work.

We say that there is no choice only to comfort ourselves with a decision we have already made.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:38 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I notice male packers at Ling's market. They do appreciate a tip.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:39 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Were the cashiers allowed to sit because the registers and cash drawer were designed so low or were the registers and cash drawer designed so low BECAUSE the cashiers didn't want to stand?
It's 'the chicken and the egg' all over again but Aruba style!

When I think back to those tiny yellow plastic bags Ling used to offer for groceries, so tiny that a large grocery order would require more than fifteen bags to hold all the groceries I would always go fetch a cardboard box or two to use instead of the bags. In either case I'd enlist the help of one of the baggers to bring the load to our car. Usually a ten dollar tip followed. They all seemed to be good natured kids.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:01 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

leftyjy wrote:
Were the cashiers allowed to sit because the registers and cash drawer were designed so low or were the registers and cash drawer designed so low BECAUSE the cashiers didn't want to stand?
It's 'the chicken and the egg' all over again but Aruba

As I said, it is normal in our neck of the woods that cashiers sit. So the register and drawer is low because it is the costum that cashiers do their work sitting down. We have a law about how your workplace must be set up and how long people are allowed to stand. It has nothing to do with chicken or egg Aruba style. Other country, other habits.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:27 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I recall reading a few years back that only women were allowed to be cashiers. I don't recall ever seeing a man working as a supermarket cashier in Aruba.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:30 pm 
Junior

I have never thought of this but it is true that I have never seen a male cashier in the supermarket. I have also never seen a male housekeeper in our timeshare resort. The men are hall maintenance workers but there are female hall workers, too. When in other islands, we have commented that women work all around and men often are sitting on the front porch. Interesting how thing are different in different cultures.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:49 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

We have traveled around quite a bit and I can say the only place we have ever seen cashiers stand is in the U.S. All other countries we've been to they are seated, so it is not just Aruba nor is it just a Dutch thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:51 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

In Canada I have really only seen cashiers stand but, in certain banks, I've noticed that the tellers / customer service representatives sit.

Neither of these are really jobs that should require you to stand, so I guess it really is a matter of custom/preference. Of course, once the furnishings have been put in place, the design will dictate the usage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:09 am 
Prolific

[quote="leftyjy"] In either case I'd enlist the help of one of the baggers to bring the load to our car. Usually a ten dollar tip followed.

A ten dollar tip. That seems a little excessive or maybe I'm just cheap. My husband always says I have a little birdy on my shoulder. How much do other people tip or do you tip at all? What about the taxi driver who helps unload at the hotel? Then you have to tip the bellman who helps you get the groceries to your room. What do you tip them? I don't want to embarrass myself by just giving the packers a dollar or two.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:54 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Excessive? Two or three loaded cartons (or 15-20 plastic bags) of groceries, into the wagon, out of the wagon and into our car? $10? Hardly.

Over the course of my 16 or 17 nights at CLBR I think my gratuities total comes out to about $650 give or take after running a quick look-back. I've never looked at it in detail before. Looking at it now, I think it's probably more than that. $650 is less than $50 a day!

Bellmen, housekeepers, shuttle drivers, restaurant servers, baggers, beach guys, Denis, bartenders and servers at CLBR, and I'm sure I've overlooked somebody. So, it all adds up.

Given my whole purpose in going to Aruba, adding up all that it costs: air, annual maintenance fees, two or three additional nights, taxes and surcharges, car rental, gambling, dining out, dining in, beverages, a couple Balashi T's and hats, all that adds up to several thousand dollars, all for my wife and I to R & R and totally enjoy every waking moment. It's worth it to us to see that those that take nice care of us get something nice from us.

Tipping is a very individual criteria kind of thing. I want to be treated nicely and I'm no high-roller and that's for sure. But there's a cost to that.