The Aruba Forums
It is currently Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: aruba money
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:20 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

He did pay in florins!

:shock:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:18 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Bobcat wrote:
He did pay in florins!

:shock:

He did, my bad. But then again, I wouldn’t have asked for dollars as change. No use to me to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:50 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Paying in florins and asking for US dollars back and he got attitude? Only in America :lol: This forum is the best !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:32 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Let's face it there is a monetary difference between Florins and Dollars and that is to be expected but in all my years coming to Aruba I never really thought about the "change" I was given when I bought things and bet none of you have.

This year after three purchases of food and booze where I looked at the change and said how do I know that is the correct amount back. So I start to ask and go on line looking at exchange rate and the various coins and paper money and I feel there is a noticeable difference sometimes in what we get back as change. Is it a scientific no mistake possible on my findings NO! But I am learning. I am watching and last nights event with the florin to dollar exchange was for me a sign.

I tell you one thing I am going to be getting comfortable figuring out my change before I leave a register.

Something I haven't noticed here that is pretty standard in much in the US. Your receipt has the change on it that you are due. Wonder way. Yes it maybe in florins but we would be able to see it.

See folks I am a 99% csh payer here in Aruba. Hotel, car rental, etc I use my cc but meals, food, etc I use cash so I end upo with a lot of Aruban coins and bills that is what has started this whole campaign.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:54 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Like Aruba the USA depends on tourism from Canada and Mexico but when I go visit I don't expect the stores to be bankers . I expect the banks to bankers . If I have extra USA cash or coins I either go to the bank back home and exchange it or I keep it for my next trip . I do appreciate when some boarder towns have specials on exchange rates as good neighbours do. That said I would never tell a merchant in Vermont that they should carry Canadian cash or give me a better exchange rate.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:24 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

How do you know if you received the "correct" exact change when paying in one currency and getting change in another currency? You don't!

Even though the exchange is "fixed" there is room for movement, one site has the "official" government rate at 1.80 while the Aruba site has it at 1.78. Maybe if you are dealing in large sums of currency you may get 1.80 but most merchants dealing with visiting tourists offer 1.75. The difference is not going to make me or break me. I pay in dollars and am handed florins as change, at what rate of exchange?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:32 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I can not believe this is still going on. If you are worried about being cheated out of $.10 or maybe $10.00 through your whole trip then don't go to Aruba.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:11 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

froggy wrote:
I can not believe this is still going on. If you are worried about being cheated out of $.10 or maybe $10.00 through your whole trip then don't go to Aruba.

Or travel internationally anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:34 am 
Senior

MuyLinda23 wrote:
froggy wrote:

Or travel internationally anywhere.

Hallelujah!! Our thoughts exactly, we've said it before if you are that concerned over a couple of dollars over the course of your trip then maybe you should rethink if it is the financially responsible thing for you to do at this time.

IMHO

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:03 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

This is just about the strangest thread. When you travel, you invariably end up with bits and pieces of foreign currency. What is different about Aruba is that they will actually allow you to pay in USD rather than require you to convert your currency to Florin. Already you are saving a few pennies on each dollar because there is always a spread in the buy/sell rate of any foreign currency.

Vendors in most countries do not wish to be paid in foreign currencies. However, nearly all in Aruba will accept US dollars. Most will do the conversion to give change in Florins. You're still getting the value of your change, give or take, but it means they don't have to keep small US currency on hand to deal with this.

In over 30 visits during 24 years, usually each 2 weeks in length, I've never accumulated more than the equivalent of $20 US in Florins. Florins are easily used as part of your gratuity in restaurants, cabs, housekeeping, or put into the Aruba Animal Shelter, ARF Aruba, or other donations boxes in various locations on the island. Since it's the local currency, any vendor on the island is happy to accept it. So I don't really see an issue?

I don't think anyone is gaining or losing great sums of money over this, or they shouldn't be, given the ease of spending Florins on the island. I have ended up with random bits of money (try traveling in southeast Asia, or southeast Europe for that matter). Just a fact of life with travel. Most international airports have a location where you can donate random currencies which will be converted and used for charitable purposes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:50 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

arubagal wrote:
This is just about the strangest thread. When you travel, you invariably end up with bits and pieces of foreign currency. What is different about Aruba is that they will actually allow you to pay in USD rather than require you to convert your currency to Florin. Already you are saving a few pennies on each dollar because there is always a spread in the buy/sell rate of any foreign currency.

Vendors in most countries do not wish to be paid in foreign currencies. However, nearly all in Aruba will accept US dollars. Most will do the conversion to give change in Florins. You're still getting the value of your change, give or take, but it means they don't have to keep small US currency on hand to deal with this.

In over 30 visits during 24 years, usually each 2 weeks in length, I've never accumulated more than the equivalent of $20 US in Florins. Florins are easily used as part of your gratuity in restaurants, cabs, housekeeping, or put into the Aruba Animal Shelter, ARF Aruba, or other donations boxes in various locations on the island. Since it's the local currency, any vendor on the island is happy to accept it. So I don't really see an issue?

I don't think anyone is gaining or losing great sums of money over this, or they shouldn't be, given the ease of spending Florins on the island. I have ended up with random bits of money (try traveling in southeast Asia, or southeast Europe for that matter). Just a fact of life with travel. Most international airports have a location where you can donate random currencies which will be converted and used for charitable purposes.
so wen arubans pull their hand out of their pockets do they want to see dollars or florins...when ever there is money involved someone is making a move...if it is no big deal make a law that every day all busnisses have to have five hundred in American on hand for change ...good luck

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:25 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

OMG...anyone else think it's time to close this thread?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:35 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

patsfan wrote:

Yes!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:13 am 
Senior

patsfan wrote:

Yes definitely, we could always talk about something different like car rentals, restaurants or A.I. vs time share.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:24 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I only ask as it seems like this has well run its course.

Now it is suggested to dictate to merchants to be "required" to always have enough US money on hand for change which would be easier said than done in reality.

Bottom line....It's their country, it's their money, BE HAPPY THAT THEY ACCEPT OUR MONEY and we are not required to use florins.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next