All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:36 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

kris02420 wrote:
Nothing new for this forum , probably why no one comes on or posts any longer . They hunger for a post on anything and when that's done its torn apart . Thanks Eddy for coming back and trying .

Good grief(heavily censored comment here). Eddy posted about proposed future development and we got the (totally predictable) postings about overdevelopment. No one bashed Eddy for being the messenger. Matter of fact the first post that was negative with respect to this board was yours.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:47 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Eddy wrote:
happyt1 wrote:
On the one hand more space will put pressure on prices, on the other it will ruin the distinct character of Eagle beach. More high end properties? Is the Ritz running at full occupancy?

The Ritz is doing quiet well right now.

Thanks for the reply Eddy.....to be truthful I did not quite believe this at first, but a quick online search showed that for the dates I am in Aruba the Ritz is proudly offering rooms at $500 a night. Not the heavily discounted rate I have seen before. So there are enough people who will pay 5 times what I am paying a night to sleep in a room that does not even have a microwave. Different strokes.......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 am 
Senior

just saw this:
The Fight Continues For Moratorium
The leader of a new political party in Aruba (RAIZ) held a protest last week against the construction of St.Regis hotel on Palm beach (between Divi Phoenix & RIU).
The goal of the protest was collect at least 10.000 signatures to guide the government in the process of implementing a moratorium. With this amount RAIZ can demand politicians to take the topic of a Moratorium seriously and treat it as such in Parliament.
Locals and visitors showed up to sign their name on this petition to stop the plans!
According to the leader of RAIZ, the moratorium consist of:
Immediately stopping the constructions of new hotels, timeshares and condominiums by means of a national ordinance
Implement a “high value low impact” tourism policy by law, as was advised by our tourism institutions
Regulate, check and limit the quantity of tourist related activities
The petition is now online and already been signed by over 4.000 locals and visitors.
If you share the same belief as RAIZ to end the uncontrolled construction of hotels and condominiums, stand up and join forces to stop these developments.
Sign the online petition and share it with your family and acquaintances to help collect a minimum of 10,000 signatures.
Give your support and sign the petition here.
The government of Aruba responded this week that they are considering to implement a moratorium, but have to study the consequences before a decision is made.
If they do approve a moratorium, it will be done in the first quarter of 2019, according to the prime minister of Aruba.
Aruba has the highest accommodation density in the Caribbean region. The island has a total of 66 rooms per square meters. The second island in the Caribbean with the highest accomodation density has 18 rooms per square meters.

sharkman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:40 am 
Senior

To sign the petition, follow this link:

https://raizaruba.com/peticion-moratorium-awor/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:56 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I'm surprised that visitors/tourists can sign the petition. My guess would have been it is a local Aruban matter insofar as a petition like this goes.

Of course, it does impact those traveling to the island and who own timeshares. My first reaction is supply and demand with air transportation being negatively affected.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Not going to happen.

No government is foolish enough to all of a sudden stop developers who have spent millions of dollars from building to say nothing of them "contributing" to the coffers of politicians.

Wonder what other Caribbean countries are dealing with this over building.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:28 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Arubadan wrote:
To sign the petition, follow this link:

https://raizaruba.com/peticion-moratorium-awor/

Thank you, I signed!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:31 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I am equally concerned about the high speed ferry. I do not believe Aruba has the structure in place to monitor if those who arrive ever leave!

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:33 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann wrote:
I am equally concerned about the high speed ferry. I do not believe Aruba has the structure in place to monitor if those who arrive ever leave!

Good point!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:49 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

There was some sort of half-baked moratorium a bunch of years ago that lasted maybe two years if that. Since then there has been plenty of additional lodging created.

Given that Aruba relies very heavily on tourism and the dollars generated from that, why would the powers that be down there issue rulings that would restrict increases on that income? I recall reading in here and maybe in the news down there about some level of financial crisis on the island. Moratorium to limit income? Nope.

Even if the 10,000 signatures are obtained and presented that is not binding in any way.

There's lots of talk and tangible planning about enlarging the airport via adding more gates. More planes. More visitors. More money!

There's been a combination of discussion and some actual planning along the lines of the development of a tourism destination in and around San Nicolas. More visitors. More money!

No. Within the foreseeable future there will be more stay-over lodging built in whatever spaces are available. It's their island, their country, their rules. Nothing we can do about it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

For such a small island I am sure the Arubans in general feel enough is enough.

The last thing they want is the need to import labor and all the problems that go along with it to adequately build, staff or whatever for these new projects is my opinion. A delicate balance for sure regarding safety for the island as some other islands have definitely encountered this problem with overbuilding.

Yes, we are just visitors temporarily enjoying their island, lovely people and what it has to offer. That being said, I don't think it is our place to try to make demands on the government in these types of situations.

The AHTA organization must surely express the opinions, likes, dislikes they gather from their various surveys from tourists, timesharers and resort managers.

Whatever the ultimate decision is, I hope it does not have overall adverse negative effects on this island so many of us like to call "our home away from home."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:21 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

leftyjy wrote:

No. Within the foreseeable future there will be more stay-over lodging built in whatever spaces are available. It's their island, their country, their rules. Nothing we can do about it.

The only thing I can do about it is take my dollars elsewhere. Which I will. I'm sure they will be quickly replaced by someone else's $$ but I will have the vacation I prefer-- away from crowds and over building.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:54 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Speaking of more building, I wonder whatever happened to the plans for the old Bushiri site. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly but I thought that after half a dozen different plans went down the tubes the green light was given for some small scale resort on that site. Either that or to make it nice for cruise ship people to spend the day on the beach there. Seems it wasn't that long ago that someone photos here of that area being cleaned up and all the debris hauled away as a first step. Or maybe that was some other Aruba site where I saw that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:47 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

A while ago a fellow named Angelo Limon wrote in his weekly Vacation Aruba blog about the proposed redo of the old Bushiri site. Yes, the building was razed and the lands were cleared in preparation for the installation of however the site was to be laid out for both a cruise passenger destination as well as a beach for anyone to use.
Time will tell, eh?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:11 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

leftyjy wrote:
A while ago a fellow named Angelo Limon wrote in his weekly Vacation Aruba blog about the proposed redo of the old Bushiri site. Yes, the building was razed and the lands were cleared in preparation for the installation of however the site was to be laid out for both a cruise passenger destination as well as a beach for anyone to use.
Time will tell, eh?

Angelo Limon's website for those interested:

http://www.vacationsbyaruba.com/