The Aruba Forums
It is currently Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here



CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Aruba Advice
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:00 am 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:10 pm
Posts: 2
We are travelling to Aruba over Thanksgiving this year; have not been there in about 8 years. Also not staying at our resort, the PlayaLinda as my In-Laws will be travelling with us so I had to get two hotel rooms at the Marriott Stellaris. Because of that it looks like we will be dining out more than I want; any recommendations? The last I was there there were only two grocery stores, has that changed? Does waze or any of the Iphone directional apps work in Aruba?

I have been reading restaurant reviews and welcome any advice from forum members. Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aruba Advice
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:48 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:17 pm
Posts: 7098
Where to eat. Where not to eat. The eternal question that has plagued this BB forever.

Food is subjective isn't it. Ask 5 of your friends in the town you live in to name their favorite restaurant and bet you get 6 different answers. But I am afraid you have let the Genie out of the bottle so get ready for 1,000.000 responses.

Marriottville has many restaurants but none are inexpensive
Are you renting a car if so you can buy snacks and keep them in the room and you are free to find cheaper places to eat.
Ask for a refrigerator for your room. Tell them you have medicine that must be kept cool and accessible. True or not you may get it for no charge. This way you can at least keep soda, dips, deli meats, etc available. If they have a mini-bar you can ask them to empty it.
Yes there are only two supermarkets within driving distance of Marriottville.
If you are in a free wifi area then your apps/iphone will work but unless you have a "plan" from your phone carrier your phone will work but it will cost you $$$$$$$$. which you won't know until you get home.

Yes there are places in Aruba that serve somewhat traditional Thanksgiving dinners.

_________________
It's a simple case of Mind over Matter.
I don't Mind and you don't matter. Brother Barry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aruba Advice
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:48 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:48 am
Posts: 397
arubajoey wrote:
Where to eat. Where not to eat. The eternal question that has plagued this BB forever.


Marriottville has many restaurants but none are inexpensive
Are you renting a car if so you can buy snacks and keep them in the room and you are free to find cheaper places to eat.
Ask for a refrigerator for your room. Tell them you have medicine that must be kept cool and accessible. True or not you may get it for no charge. This way you can at least keep soda, dips, deli meats, etc available. If they have a mini-bar you can ask them to empty it.

If you are in a free wifi area then your apps/iphone will work but unless you have a "plan" from your phone carrier your phone will work but it will cost you $$$$$$$$. which you won't know until you get home.

Yes there are places in Aruba that serve somewhat traditional Thanksgiving dinners.


All rooms in the Marriott Stellaris have a mini-fridge. Wifi at the hotel is free, but as Joey said, if you don't have an out-of country plan and you open up your Smartphone, get ready to pay bigtime.

After you check in they'll send you to the Timeshare desk for your arrival gift. They'll want you to sign up for a 90 minute timeshare presentation. Depending on the time of year will determine how much you get. For example you could get $200 in restaurant certificates for Marriott property restaurants, or $200 in free casino play. Regardless if you sign up or not for a presentation, you'll receive a blue & white card you can show for discounts for certain on and off property restaurants, DePalm tours, shopping, etc. They'll also give you a list of places that give a discount. Be aware, they generally hold to the 4pm check-in time. So if you arrive extra early, you may not get right into your room. Enjoy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aruba Advice
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:44 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:10 pm
Posts: 392
Location: Alto Vista, Aruba
jackvs1 wrote:
We are travelling to Aruba over Thanksgiving this year; have not been there in about 8 years. Also not staying at our resort, the PlayaLinda as my In-Laws will be travelling with us so I had to get two hotel rooms at the Marriott Stellaris. Because of that it looks like we will be dining out more than I want; any recommendations? The last I was there there were only two grocery stores, has that changed? Does waze or any of the Iphone directional apps work in Aruba?

I have been reading restaurant reviews and welcome any advice from forum members. Thanks.


Only addressing the question of Thanksgiving dinner - we find that the special Thanksgiving dinner at Chalet Suisse comes pretty close to a traditional US Thanksgiving dinner. It's not a buffet (so no going back for more turkey :( ) but other than that it's the best we've found on the island.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aruba Advice
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:02 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:48 am
Posts: 397
casadelmar wrote:
arubajoey wrote:
Where to eat. Where not to eat. The eternal question that has plagued this BB forever.


Marriottville has many restaurants but none are inexpensive
Are you renting a car if so you can buy snacks and keep them in the room and you are free to find cheaper places to eat.
Ask for a refrigerator for your room. Tell them you have medicine that must be kept cool and accessible. True or not you may get it for no charge. This way you can at least keep soda, dips, deli meats, etc available. If they have a mini-bar you can ask them to empty it.

If you are in a free wifi area then your apps/iphone will work but unless you have a "plan" from your phone carrier your phone will work but it will cost you $$$$$$$$. which you won't know until you get home.

Yes there are places in Aruba that serve somewhat traditional Thanksgiving dinners.


All rooms in the Marriott Stellaris have a mini-fridge. Wifi at the hotel is free, but as Joey said, if you don't have an out-of country plan and you open up your Smartphone, get ready to pay bigtime.

After you check in they'll send you to the Timeshare desk for your arrival gift. They'll want you to sign up for a 90 minute timeshare presentation. Depending on the time of year will determine how much you get. For example you could get $200 in restaurant certificates for Marriott property restaurants, or $200 in free casino play. Regardless if you sign up or not for a presentation, you'll receive a blue & white card you can show for discounts for certain on and off property restaurants, DePalm tours, shopping, etc. They'll also give you a list of places that give a discount. Be aware, they generally hold to the 4pm check-in time. So if you arrive extra early, you may not get right into your room. Enjoy.
bryanzs wrote:
jackvs1 wrote:
We are travelling to Aruba over Thanksgiving this year; have not been there in about 8 years. Also not staying at our resort, the PlayaLinda as my In-Laws will be travelling with us so I had to get two hotel rooms at the Marriott Stellaris. Because of that it looks like we will be dining out more than I want; any recommendations? The last I was there there were only two grocery stores, has that changed? Does waze or any of the Iphone directional apps work in Aruba?

I have been reading restaurant reviews and welcome any advice from forum members. Thanks.


Only addressing the question of Thanksgiving dinner - we find that the special Thanksgiving dinner at Chalet Suisse comes pretty close to a traditional US Thanksgiving dinner. It's not a buffet (so no going back for more turkey :( ) but other than that it's the best we've found on the island.


While I have never been in Aruba at Thanksgiving, I have heard the Hyatt has a very spread for Thanksgiving.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aruba Advice
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:43 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:31 pm
Posts: 1472
jackvs1 wrote:
We are travelling to Aruba over Thanksgiving this year; have not been there in about 8 years. Also not staying at our resort, the PlayaLinda as my In-Laws will be travelling with us so I had to get two hotel rooms at the Marriott Stellaris. Because of that it looks like we will be dining out more than I want; any recommendations? The last I was there there were only two grocery stores, has that changed? Does waze or any of the Iphone directional apps work in Aruba?

I have been reading restaurant reviews and welcome any advice from forum members. Thanks.



There are a ton of dining options in the palm Beach area. Mostly places that cater to all the tourists.
Reading your post a couple things popped up on my radar......If you own at Playa Linda why did you not just get a 2 bedroom or similar there? Or look at another timeshare type place? There are a ton of them. Also if you own a unit why not visit it for 8 years? A lot changes in a place like Aruba-8 years ago there was no Super foods for example....... lastly, having your own car might make a big difference in where you choose to eat. Cab rides to breakfast, lunch and dinner might get pricey.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aruba Advice
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:13 am 
Offline
Sophomore
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:04 pm
Posts: 45
Location: Il.
Download maps.me before you leave and you can use in Aruba with no wifi connection.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Aruba Advice
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:00 pm 
Offline
Newbie

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:10 pm
Posts: 2
happyt1 wrote:
jackvs1 wrote:
We are travelling to Aruba over Thanksgiving this year; have not been there in about 8 years. Also not staying at our resort, the PlayaLinda as my In-Laws will be travelling with us so I had to get two hotel rooms at the Marriott Stellaris. Because of that it looks like we will be dining out more than I want; any recommendations? The last I was there there were only two grocery stores, has that changed? Does waze or any of the Iphone directional apps work in Aruba?

I have been reading restaurant reviews and welcome any advice from forum members. Thanks.



There are a ton of dining options in the palm Beach area. Mostly places that cater to all the tourists.
Reading your post a couple things popped up on my radar......If you own at Playa Linda why did you not just get a 2 bedroom or similar there? Or look at another timeshare type place? There are a ton of them. Also if you own a unit why not visit it for 8 years? A lot changes in a place like Aruba-8 years ago there was no Super foods for example....... lastly, having your own car might make a big difference in where you choose to eat. Cab rides to breakfast, lunch and dinner might get pricey.


The reason I did not use my timeshare was I used my Marriott points to book two rooms. I will have a rental, thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: rdol and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group