It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:46 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Just read in another blog that Aruba, starting Jan. 2019 is going to ban one time plastic and styrofoam used items. So straws and plastic cups are gone by the wayside. What will Dunkin Donuts do? The gov. has not put out the list as of yet but things will be interesting on beaches at time shares where glass is not allowed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:11 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

During our February trip to the island we experienced extended use of paper fiber straws. beverage containers can be created
for all types of drinks hot or cold using similar construction. We support this trend. Now extend this to USA states. I hate seeing this stuff on Florida beaches where we reside!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

We are teachable, we can learn for the better of the world. If you usually take a doggie bag, then bring your container. If you don't, you leave your 1/2 eaten dinner there, up to you. Going for take-out, take your container. Don't you already have to bring your grocery/shopping bags where you live? Trade your wife's purse or add a back pack to your ensemble for a mini cooler bag. Now you can drink on the way to dinner :mrgreen: There needs to be a new trend of fashionable cooler purses/bags, for those who need to look good while saving the world :lol: Not having a straw never detered me from having my drink; pack a stainless steel straw if you must. The world is changing, we need to change too. If you ever watched any of the documentaries, how can we not?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:18 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

karen1 wrote:
We are teachable, we can learn for the better of the world. If you usually take a doggie bag, then bring your container. If you don't, you leave your 1/2 eaten dinner there, up to you. Going for take-out, take your container. Don't you already have to bring your grocery/shopping bags where you live? Trade your wife's purse or add a back pack to your ensemble for a mini cooler bag. Now you can drink on the way to dinner :mrgreen: There needs to be a new trend of fashionable cooler purses/bags, for those who need to look good while saving the world :lol: Not having a straw never detered me from having my drink; pack a stainless steel straw if you must. The world is changing, we need to change too. If you ever watched any of the documentaries, how can we not?

move to NH and you have my vote for governor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:54 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

jimmy b. What are you doing with all your Balashi cans.

I haven't seen any recycling bins but have seen a lot of you "save the planet" people throwing your Balashi, etc cans in the regular trash.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:42 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Jimmy B wrote:
karen1 wrote:

My vote also!! :wink: :D I support and applaud Aruba's efforts but until they address the issue of so many cars on the island (and about 25% would never pass inspection in NH) and more coming in as we speak...it is hard to take them seriously. One idea would be for every car coming in...one must go off the island.

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:05 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Our resort changed to the paper straws awhile back. We are seeing more and more restaurants nearby not even putting staws on the tables. When we food shop we bring the reusable bags and try NOT to use boxes as they are oftentimes the source for bringing pests back to the resort. I am sure it will be a bit of a challenge to eliminate the plastic cups and tops for coffee cups. The styrofoam containers have more options for "to go" orders. The time has come and is long overdue since all the waste created just does not degrade. Perhaps this would be a good business opportunity for Aruba to make some of these items locally to distribute to businesses????

(I saw somewhere a few weeks ago a company is making a holder for 6 packs that can become food for marine life if it makes its way to the ocean.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:18 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

ann wrote:
My vote also!! :wink: :D I support and applaud Aruba's efforts but until they address the issue of so many cars on the island (and about 25% would never pass inspection in NH) and more coming in as we speak...it is hard to take them seriously. One idea would be for every car coming in...one must go off the island.

We just got back from Bermuda, also a tiny island. The rules regarding vehicles are quite strict; each family living on the island is allowed one vehicle only, and tourists are banned from renting them. People can own scooters (only up to 150 cc) and tourists can rent them (only up to 50 cc). There is also a ridiculous tiny electric car called a twizzy that can be rented (basically, a scooter with a housing around it). There are taxis for hire (though expensive) and there is very reliable and inexpensive bus service all over the island. The system works incredibly well - we were absolutely astonished by how little traffic there was on the roads even during the height of what would be considered "rush hour."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:51 pm 
Senior

I am surprised more folks are not chiming in on this topic. I am all for eliminating one use plastics and Styrofoam. I think bringing your own plastic containers for doggie bags or take out may be a bit extreme and difficult for people to remember to do, but there must be more biodegradable options that can be considered. As for the person that mentioned the lack of recycling in Aruba, I often wondered about this myself. I am assuming that they do not have a processing facility for this and that it wouldn't be economical to ship it off island.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:20 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

There are already biodegradable containers on the market, but they are more expensive than the styrofoam ones.

The island does have a processing facilty to recycle, but for all kind of (political) reasons, it was shut down. But I recently learned they did start using this facility and they shut down the dump. Hope this will be continued.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:21 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Jimmy B wrote:
karen1 wrote:

This was the "Live Free or Die" State...........What happened???

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:41 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

The problem is not the plastics, it is how they are managed. Plastic can be one of the most reusable things out there. But you have to make a serious attempt to recycle it properly. The issue is cost for the most part. Cheap oil=cheap plastic so it is just cheaper to throw it away.
The real solution is to just cut down on usage. Look at all the bottled water for sale in Aruba when they have great safe water available right from the tap pretty much everywhere. (some Divi Golf folks might disagree-I get it) Pretty much the same in the States. People drink water from Figi.....France......or some "pristine" spring several hundred miles away. Most of us have potable water right in our faucets.
Aruba should have looked into a modern refuse incinerator years ago....the landfill is just a cheaper solution.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:18 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Couple of things.

As I have stated in the past my trip to Aruba for 10-11 days is a trip about nothing. I arrive, check in, grab a drink and sit my bony lilly white butt under a paplapa every day.

I never travel downtown other then to pass it to and from the airport and my "travel" is limited to Palm and Eagle Beaches and what they offer.

I can say that I have never seen any form of recycling bins or facilities where I travel. Nothing in the hotels along the streets or beaches.

That is where you start. Make it available a visible to the people. Cutting out plastic bags in stores is not the answer. It's educating people.

Here is my contribution while in Aruba. Usually mid-afternoon I walk from the Phoenix to the Marriott (in my thong). I carry a plastic bag (YES PLASTIC BAG). When I get to the two Riu's and beyond I look for the plastic cups/straws the wind has blown and no one picks up close to or already in the water. 90% of the time by the time I reach the Holiday in my bag is half full.

As I stop to pick up stuff I like to watch the people who probably let the cup fly. A look of "who are you and what are you doing".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:07 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

One of the two local trash collecting companies (Ecotech) promotes (or promoted - don't know if they still talk about it) that they collect all the garbage in a single bin, and then sort out the recyclables at their facilities. So just because we don't see recycle bins doesn't mean that there isn't any recycling going on.

Ecotech has also been trying to get a trash-into-energy plant going, but (as Dutch Dushi mentioned) there have been political issues surrounding its use.

Although I've heard that the dump is to be officially closed, all my local friends who use the dump say it's still open and no one knows where the 'replacement dump' is located.

Finally, at La Cabana (at least) they have started to use cardboard fiber for the "to go" boxes - so, just like the fiber straws, these alternatives already exist on the island and will just become more common over time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:39 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Good info Bryanzs. Appreciate it.