It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:11 pm 
Freshman

Hey Guys, I hope you are all well. Had fun with this question on another forum. Is the Grouper at restaurants in Aruba really Grouper? You'll be surprised at what people say?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:24 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

On any of these posts, as you know, you ask a question, you get 1000 different responses...I guess the best thing we can all do is ask the manager or owner and I truly believe, if they are subing with another fish, they will fess up....Too many problems if it is an out and out fraud....If you are really suspicious, then order the snapper or another local fish.....I like to have faith in people's honesty until proved otherwise...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:41 pm 
Freshman

No...they don't fess up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:43 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

It's a big debate on FB pages. I didn't realize it until last year I think - but it all made sense, as we've noticed over the years the various 'grouper' sandwiches look and taste a bit different (thick vs thin, etc). Also noticed that Zeerovers only serves whatever is fresh that day, yet they just never had Grouper when we were there. :lol: :wink: In November 17, I started asking at some of the restaurants. Barney's explained to me that there is not enough Grouper in the waters of Aruba to support the demand, and that most fisherman keep it for their families. She told me that they ship theirs in frozen, but that it is indeed grouper. Yemanja advertises Grouper - but then puts "Pangasius" in ( ). I can't remember which restaurant (casual/lunch) told me flat out that their's wasn't grouper. Barefoot was a bit rude about it when I asked about their two Grouper Dishes. I don't recall the details, but it was sort of like she avoided the question and just wouldn't give me an answer. That was enough in my opinion. I ordered the zucchini lasagna (it was quite good, by the way).

While we're disappointed that they aren't really serving grouper as advertised, I've just decided that "Grouper" means "white fish" in papamiento. haha. It's not like I'm eating it every day for a year, so hopefully the amount I do eat in Aruba (yeah, probably 6-9 times in a week) won't make me sick.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:49 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

For what it's worth..... My wife and I have been served "grouper" at the Costa Linda, at Matthew's, and at Las Ramblas. Each time we've completely enjoyed what was on the plate. Am I going to get all wrapped up in the debate of thickness, whiteness, texture, where it was caught, etc., etc.? No way! We've loved it every time regardless of what they call it. THAT is all that matters to us.

There are way more important things to get worked up about than trying to uncover the truth of "Grouper"!

Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:26 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

leftyjy wrote:
For what it's worth..... My wife and I have been served "grouper" at the Costa Linda, at Matthew's, and at Las Ramblas. Each time we've completely enjoyed what was on the plate. Am I going to get all wrapped up in the debate of thickness, whiteness, texture, where it was caught, etc., etc.? No way! We've loved it every time regardless of what they call it. THAT is all that matters to us.

There are way more important things to get worked up about than trying to uncover the truth of "Grouper"!

Thank you.

Typical of you to turn a simple thread into an argument. If I recall you participated in the other bb about false advertising of grouper at restaurants.
You are the KING of wisdom and deception.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:25 am 
Freshman

I just think it is wise to accurately know what you are being served and eating.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:21 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

You call that arguing? No argument. I'm just expressing my opinion. But thanx for your important insight and valuable commentary.

Just another of the types of responses that others have spoken about that stain the once friendly fabric of this STILL important forum about Aruba.

Nice work, Froggy. Kudos. Maybe you can spend some of your time searching thru past threads to find proof of my previous involvement in some other BB to back up your accusation of my negative participation.

"Wisdom and deception"? Beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:24 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Grouper is more expensive than Swai or Tilapia, which most restaurants as a substitute. If you don't care about what you're actually being served, then you're allowing restaurants to cheat and steal from you. Charging a higher price for a lessor product.
Sadly it's not a situation that's unique to Aruba. Studies have been done in the US that shows many restaurants, even high end ones don't serve what they advertise.
Call it bait and switch.

DonnaLee wrote:
Zeerovers only serves whatever is fresh that day, yet they just never had Grouper when we were there.

That says a lot if a fresh market rarely if ever has it.
DonnaLee wrote:
In November we've noticed over the years the various 'grouper' sandwiches look and taste a bit different (thick vs thin, etc). Also noticed that restaurants.

Thick versus thin is a give-away. Real grouper is thicker and flaker when cooked.
DonnaLee wrote:
Barney's explained to me that there is not enough Grouper in the waters of Aruba to support the demand, and that most fisherman keep it for their families. She told me that they ship theirs in frozen, but that it is indeed grouper.

Barney's appears to be one the the most honest restaurants on the island.
DonnaLee wrote:
Yemanja advertises Grouper - but then puts "Pangasius" in ( ).

If you see Pangasius, then you're being served Swai which is a fresh water catfish from SE Asia.
DonnaLee wrote:
I can't remember which restaurant (casual/lunch) told me flat out that their's wasn't grouper.

They're beiung honest, to a point, but only to anyone who asks. Otherwise they're also guilty of bait and switch.
DonnaLee wrote:
Barefoot was a bit rude about it when I asked about their two Grouper Dishes. I don't recall the details, but it was sort of like she avoided the question and just wouldn't give me an answer. That was enough in my opinion. I ordered the zucchini lasagna (it was quite good, by the way).

Never order from Barefoot either.

Eating Tilapia (fresh water from Africa, Asia and South America) or Swai is safe, but it's not Grouper. If a restaurant is substituting with telling you, then they're cheating their customers.

We say that there is no choice only to comfort ourselves with a decision we have already made.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:25 am 
Freshman

Apparently from what we're reading here is some people are being happy with being $rewed as long as it tastes good. Now you can't make that up !!!!!! lol, other than that this is an old news story that from time to time gets brought up and there really is no point in the conversation except the conversation filling a post .

Last edited by kris02420 on Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:27 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

When I pay for Grouper, I want Grouper; not a substitute. When I pay for fish & chips; I want and expect cod or haddock.

There have been a lot of arrests here in Fla. for passing off other fishes as being grouper! "It's that simple".

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

CaribRJ wrote:
When I pay for Grouper, I want Grouper; not a substitute. When I pay for fish & chips; I want and expect cod or haddock. There have been a lot of arrests here in Fla. for passing off other fishes as being grouper! "It's that simple".
The debate has raged on the East Coast. The local newspaper found that grouper rarely is just that. Fishing restrictions, lack of supply...whatever. We return for good taste and just try to stay within our pocketbook price.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:44 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Amen to that.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:08 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

This is happening everywhere. We travel to Providenciales, T&C several times per year, and grouper is on the menu everywhere. They even have a restaurant called "Mr. Grouper's" on the island. If I see grilled grouper over a salad on the menu (a favorite of mine) I ask "is it truly grouper today?". Most times the servers are honest and say it's swai or tilapia which are both a "no" for me. Shame on any restaurant being dishonest about this anywhere.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:20 am 
Freshman

i don't see the big deal here. All white fish tastes the same when it's fresh.