All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Picking up supplies
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:38 am 
Freshman

We're staying at the Divi Dutch Village Inn. We're traveling light (only carry on) so we cannot bring toothpaste or sunscreen. Is there a store near our hotel where we can buy products like these when we arrive?

Last edited by DickyD on Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Pickiing up supplies
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:19 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

There is a small supermarket at the mall at the Alhambra. Prices are a bit steep. You can also go to Lings, this is one of the big the supermarkets that is most near to Divi Dutch Village, or to Kong Hing, another bigger supermarket. You can walk to both or take a taxi.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:30 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

There is also a sundry shop in one of the related resorts (can't remember if it was the Tam or Divi All Incl, but both are walkable). We were at Divi Dutch last week and walked to Lings one morning. I wouldn't want to carry lots of bags back, but a little would be fine. Don't forget your bags, as they don't supply them anymore. You can always use the two you get w/ the coupons at the airport.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:57 pm 
Freshman

DonnaLee wrote:
There is also a sundry shop in one of the related resorts (can't remember if it was the Tam or Divi All Incl, but both are walkable). We were at Divi Dutch last week and walked to Lings one morning. I wouldn't want to carry lots of bags back, but a little would be fine. Don't forget your bags, as they don't supply them anymore. You can always use the two you get w/ the coupons at the airport.

I'm new on this forum. I assume I respond to you by hitting "quote", so, if this works, thanks for your response and for the note about the bags/coupons at the airport. Just very briefly, how were the rooms at the Divi Dutch Village? One can never really tell from the on-line pictures.

Post subject: Re: Picking up supplies
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:52 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

We were extremely pleased with our modern first floor studio unit. You walked into a kitchen area on the right w/ the bathroom on the other side of that kitchen wall. Straight ahead was the bed area, dining room, followed by living space and the patio. The edge of the patio was like 8 steps from the pools edge. The patio had a table/4 chairs and one lounger. There were plenty of loungers and beds around the pool.

Full housekeeping is provided on Wednesdays. On the other days, they change towels and empty trash if you want.

I did not care for the bathroom, but the price was right, so no real complaints. There were two narrow double doors that opened into the sink/closet area, but they had frosted windows in them, so the light shone through to the bed. from the sink area, there was an open doorway into the space w/ toilet and shower (no tub). The shower door - didn't exist. It was 1/2 covered w/ a glass wall, but that was it. The other 1/2 was open - and water flooded out onto the floor w/ every shower.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:31 am 
Freshman

DonnaLee wrote:
We were extremely pleased with our modern first floor studio unit. You walked into a kitchen area on the right w/ the bathroom on the other side of that kitchen wall. Straight ahead was the bed area, dining room, followed by living space and the patio. The edge of the patio was like 8 steps from the pools edge. The patio had a table/4 chairs and one lounger. There were plenty of loungers and beds around the pool.

Full housekeeping is provided on Wednesdays. On the other days, they change towels and empty trash if you want.

I did not care for the bathroom, but the price was right, so no real complaints. There were two narrow double doors that opened into the sink/closet area, but they had frosted windows in them, so the light shone through to the bed. from the sink area, there was an open doorway into the space w/ toilet and shower (no tub). The shower door - didn't exist. It was 1/2 covered w/ a glass wall, but that was it. The other 1/2 was open - and water flooded out onto the floor w/ every shower.

Good to hear. And I did hear that about the shower lacking doors. Oh well, at least we're mentally prepared for the "flooding".

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:02 am 
Freshman

DonnaLee wrote:

Okay, maybe not a critical question, but are beach towels available at the hotel or do we need to bring our own? Our suitcase is filling up rapidly! Ha-ha!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:43 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

As far as I know, there are beach towels available.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:16 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Yes, we had 4 nice beach towels in our room waiting for us when we arrived. You can exchange them for clean ones if needed (but housekeeping doesn't) - separate building/office.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:39 pm 
Freshman

DonnaLee wrote:
Yes, we had 4 nice beach towels in our room waiting for us when we arrived. You can exchange them for clean ones if needed (but housekeeping doesn't) - separate building/office.

Ah, thank you. An unexpected benefit! Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:10 am 
Freshman

By the lobby at the Tam ( next to Divi Dutch Village) there is a little store where you can buy basic stuff. Sunscreen, tooth paste and a few food choices but if you need groceries Lings is better choice.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:35 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

What people I know do is early in the morning before it gets too hot they walk to Lings get food and take a taxi back. If they don't have items that need to stay cold they take the bus back.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:33 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

https://shop.lingandsons.com/

I found Ling and Son's website and their online shopping. You could pre pick out what you want and have it delivered.

We have a car so we just go to the market if our room is not ready and shop and then it is ready by the time we return.

Enjoy Aruba.

p://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;1 ... /event.png[/img][/url]