All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Seaweed In the Caribbean
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:15 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

We went to 2 spots this year Playa del Carmen and Barbados both of these spots have a seaweed crisis . Most islands are suffering and some resorts have closed due to the seaweed . I was told that Aruba is not effected so far . If you are going to the Caribbean maybe check to see if it's ok . I have my Christmas vacation coming up at The Divi but if this continues my summers may be spent in Aruba as well . Very sad :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:25 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

It could be that since the hurricane season is almost beginning that some smaller storms scattered between the islands have churned up enough of the ocean bottom to cause a spreading problem. It's not the first time. Currents can have remarkably wide spread effects on places nowhere near a storm.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:32 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

It's Algore's fault

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:25 pm 
Senior

If your referring to the Sargassum seaweed, I don’t think Aruba is in a place where the current would deposit it on the island. Even if it did reach the island, it ends up on on the east coastline of most islands, so the way Aruba is situated, it would likely wash up away from all the resort areas. The Sargassum Sea is part of the Atlantic Ocean east of the northern Caribbean Islands, but the currents drive the seaweed towards the islands, so those on the Eastern end like Barbados up to Saint Lucia are most affected.

We were in Barbados in 2015 when it was a major problem - the Crane Resort had piles that were 6 feet high that washed up on their beach and workers were trying to cart it away in wheelbarrows. It gives off a very foul odor as it rots in the sun, and severely affects the marine life, especially the turtles that can’t make it to shore to lay their eggs. We saw batches of it floating at sea on the flight from Barbados to St. Vincent, as the current pushes it into the Caribbean and also north to many of the islands.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:31 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Look at the bright side. Free seaweed wraps for all.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:11 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

We experienced this in the Dominican in 2015, it was disgusting. As Pappy mentioned, workers were constantly trying to battle it, carting it off in wheelbarrows while what they hadn't got to yet rotted in the sun making a terrible odor. And forget going in the water; you had to wade through 2-3 feet deep of the stuff for a good 20 feet or more out into the water to even get to a spot where there was "less" (as in, still there but not as thick). Terrible. From what I understand this is becoming a huge problem in large part due to the coastal run-off of commercial fertilizers.