All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: Re: Hans email
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 4:39 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I understand the taxes but what about the charge to timeshares for each chair that is on the beach? Which has not been settled yet by the way.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:04 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

That annual government imposed charge aimed to require resorts to remove all chairs and chaises from their beaches over night and replace them in the morning was viewed as an enormous expense (by design) to the resorts. That a resort would be required to cough up $150-180K (and up) per year to the government to be allowed to leave seating on the beach compared with the cost of the DAILY task of chair removal and replacement..... manpower, equipment, and wear-and-tear, was a lose - lose situation for the resorts.
On the other hand, as the government is in severe financial straits, these huge annual fees from the resorts (eventually from tourist pockets!!) would help ease their financial mis-management.

The folly was explained as 'time for the beaches to breathe, to let the breezes access all the sands'.

Some resorts have expended monies to somewhat fight this fiasco and with some great success, I might add. Nothing is final yet but the adjusted invoice amounts are reported to be a lot less than the initial invoicing.

There are so many ways to bilk tourists out of more money but this one was simply blatant pocket-picking.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:33 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

leftyjy wrote:
That annual government imposed charge aimed to require resorts to remove all chairs and chaises from their beaches over night and replace them in the morning was viewed as an enormous expense (by design) to the resorts. That a resort would be required to cough up $150-180K (and up) per year to the government to be allowed to leave seating on the beach compared with the cost of the DAILY task of chair removal and replacement..... manpower, equipment, and wear-and-tear, was a lose - lose situation for the resorts.
On the other hand, as the government is in severe financial straits, these huge annual fees from the resorts (eventually from tourist pockets!!) would help ease their financial mis-management.

The folly was explained as 'time for the beaches to breathe, to let the breezes access all the sands'.

Some resorts have expended monies to somewhat fight this fiasco and with some great success, I might add. Nothing is final yet but the adjusted invoice amounts are reported to be a lot less than the initial invoicing.

There are so many ways to bilk tourists out of more money but this one was simply blatant pocket-picking.

It actually has nothing to do with leaving chairs on the beach overnight. The tax is on the number of lounge chairs that each resort has, that is used on the beach. Moving them off the beach at night has no bearing on the tax.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:49 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubamikey wrote:
leftyjy wrote:

It actually has nothing to do with leaving chairs on the beach overnight. The tax is on the number of lounge chairs that each resort has, that is used on the beach. Moving them off the beach at night has no bearing on the tax.

Correct. And don’t leave out the fact that many hotels are asking idiot high prices for renting a palapa.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:27 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

To pay 300 hundred or more for a room , per day, and then another 30 or so for a palapa and then they hit you with all those taxes it really is crazy. :?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:40 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

SharonLacey wrote:
To pay 300 hundred or more for a room , per day, and then another 30 or so for a palapa and then they hit you with all those taxes it really is crazy. :?

This 330 you pay to the company that owns your hotel, taxes are for the government. Two completely different things.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:11 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubamikey wrote:
leftyjy wrote:

Although that proposed, yet to be determined , official tax amount is for the number of chairs and chaise loungers on the beach it does present a logistical situation and hardship for the resorts if required as part of the regulation to remove the chairs. I say this as you have many guests who enjoy being able to watch the sunsets and linger thereafter on the beach at their resort/hotel. Very often I see couples and families enjoying time on the beach sitting and lounging long after sunset when I am having dinner at our resort. The added expense for the resort to have additional help to remove the chairs and place them somewhere off the beach and have to bring them back the following early morning day in and day out is an issue. Truthfully what purpose does it serve to possibly be required to remove the chairs when it is dark and schlep them all back early dawn the next day? This rule would also literally chase guests off the beach who want to sit and socialize after sunset. Add to that the wear and tear on the chairs having to be stacked day in and day out adds to the expense for resorts too. Just offering an opinion on the chair moving aspect of this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:18 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

I get the feeling the people who complain the most about the "chair" removal are the ones that would look to stake claim to the chairs and palapas for their stay. Also probably want to save having to tip the people in the morning who set up chairs for you if you tip at all.

Having stayed at the Hyatt, Divi's, Hilton and walked the beach at night I don't see any problem with the resort staff collecting chairs. Seems they all have it down to a science.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:31 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

At our resort it is first come first served and NEVER a fee for palapas. At 7am the guards come and take your room # for the location you are at. We have a 2 hour rule insofar as leaving the palapa unoccupied to allow to leave for breakfast and lunch. The guards have a clipboard and do monitor it. This process works very well at our place.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:12 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

patsfan wrote:
At our resort it is first come first served and NEVER a fee for palapas. At 7am the guards come and take your room # for the location you are at. We have a 2 hour rule insofar as leaving the palapa unoccupied to allow to leave for breakfast and lunch. The guards have a clipboard and do monitor it. This process works very well at our place.

I guess you stay at Eagle Beach? Totally different situation at Palm Beach as far as I know. This is difference between timeshares and hotels (only exception Marriott timeshares).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:45 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

dutchdushi wrote:
patsfan wrote:

I guess you stay at Eagle Beach? Totally different situation at Palm Beach as far as I know. This is difference between timeshares and hotels (only exception Marriott timeshares).

Actually, it sounds like the system at Playa Linda

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:58 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubamikey wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:
patsfan wrote:

Actually, it sounds like the system at Playa Linda

I stand corrected, I forgot this timeshare on Palm Beach.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:57 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

patsfan wrote:
arubamikey wrote:
leftyjy wrote:

[/quote

Although that proposed, yet to be determined , official tax amount is for the number of chairs and chaise loungers on the beach it does present a logistical situation and hardship for the resorts if required as part of the regulation to remove the chairs. I say this as you have many guests who enjoy being able to watch the sunsets and linger thereafter on the beach at their resort/hotel. Very often I see couples and families enjoying time on the beach sitting and lounging long after sunset when I am having dinner at our resort. The added expense for the resort to have additional help to remove the chairs and place them somewhere off the beach and have to bring them back the following early morning day in and day out is an issue. Truthfully what purpose does it serve to possibly be required to remove the chairs when it is dark and schlep them all back early dawn the next day? This rule would also literally chase guests off the beach who want to sit and socialize after sunset. Add to that the wear and tear on the chairs having to be stacked day in and day out adds to the expense for resorts too. Just offering an opinion on the chair moving aspect of this.

Last edited by happyt1 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:58 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

[/color][/quote
As long as we have been going to Aruba they collect the chairs in the pm and chain them securely at night. Pretty much at all the other beaches that we go to as well. Might have something to do with ensuring they are still there the next am. Stacked right where they will be used the next day. Also allows for easier cleaning of the beach area.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:14 pm 
Prolific

dutchdushi wrote:
khoever wrote:
dutchdushi wrote:
khoever wrote:
You would think with all the $ Aruba makes on tourism there would be no need for taxes. It’s getting out of control, just being greedy!

Private companies are the ones that makes this money, not the government. They need the money to upgrade and maintain the infrastructure. More tourists means more cost means more taxes. That is just how it works.

Who gets the money for daily timeshare taxes, BBQ tax or whatever the hell that is at the end of our stay. Also there is taxes collected even when we are staying at a private villa. I agree with your statement that money is needed to upgrade and maintain the infrastructure. Lets not forget the sky high maintainance fees. Again as the old add age goes “If you want to play, you got to pay”

Maintainance fees are for the timeshare company, other taxes are indeed for the government. BBO is a tax for everybody, not only tourists. Yes, all those taxes have gone up and some more are added. As I said, more tourists, more cost.

So if Aruba attracted less tourists, taxes would go down? So what is the benefit to the government to attract more tourists?