It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:56 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Looking for a little advice. I'll be heading back to Aruba in September and taking along my bestie (who has never been before). She's really excited about the idea of maybe finding an adoptable dog on the island. Her boxer passed away last year and she's ready to bring a new furbaby into her life.

To me, it seems as if both the Aruba Animal Shelter and Sgt Pepper's Friends are good organizations and would be able to usher her through the process if there does happen to be a dog that she ends up being interested in. I'm wondering if anyone has had experiences with either? Or any other recommendations?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:05 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I would suggest ARF ...they have a website. Kathy can help you navigate adoption and transport.

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:06 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I volunteer with Animal Relief Foundation (http://www.arf-aruba.com)
They are my favorite of all the organizations who adopt animals to the US. Their dogs & puppies are healthy & carefully vetted. We never have any problems with customs. US Customs officers prefer dogs who come through from both ARF and Sgt Peppers. Sgt Peppers is also a fine organization. They have a lot more resources than ARF, but ARF was doing this long before any of the others.
The animal shelter is a good organization. They have very limited resources. They call ARF and Sgt Peppers when they are out of space.

All 3 are excellent choices. I am partial to ARF and would be happy to put you in touch with them.

What airline are you on? Puppies can fly on any airline except Southwest or Spirit. They will be a carry on, in a soft sided carrier, stored under the seat in front of you.
Adult dogs can fly ONLY on American or Surinam, and only on the morning flight through Miami, at this time. Big crates have to go on 737, not Airbus.

Message me here or on Facebook. I will be happy to help, whatever you choose. A life saved is the important thing. Mindy Forman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:29 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

artdorko wrote:
What airline are you on? Puppies can fly on any airline except Southwest or Spirit. They will be a carry on, in a soft sided carrier, stored under the seat in front of you.
Adult dogs can fly ONLY on American or Surinam, and only on the morning flight through Miami, at this time. Big crates have to go on 737, not Airbus.

Thanks so much for the info! We're flying American through Miami.

I'll direct her to the websites and see what she thinks, but I just have a feeling she's going to fall in love with some lucky pup in Aruba. I'll definitely PM you when she starts barraging me with questions. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:19 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

If you reach out to Animal Relief Foundation Aruba (ARF-Aruba) or Sgt. Pepper's Friends I am confident that your friend will have all of the assistance she needs to bring a puppy home with her. Both of these organizations do a great job of vetting their puppies and getting them ready for travel. I'd definitely suggest that your friend makes an effort to fall in love with a puppy who is ready to travel. Otherwise she may end up leaving the island without her puppy and finding transport (volunteers) to carry puppies to specific destinations can take quite a while. The best thing is to adopt a travel-ready pup and carry the pup herself.

A soft carrier is needed (can be brought from the US or can be purchased on the island). I believe all airlines charge some kind of a fee for Pet C (Pet in Cabin) which is essentially the space under the seat ahead of you. I believe they require you to book the Pet C in advance (my experience is with Air Canada and Westjet who each require 24 hours prior notice). Also, there is a limit to the number of PET C's that are permitted on an aircraft (the number depends on the type of equipment flown). Normally you cannot be in business class or exit row with a puppy.

We fell in love with a beautiful Aruba puppy more than 6 years ago. She has grown into such a lovely girl, and is a favourite with all of our friends. I've quite a lot of experience with Aruba pups and would be happy to share info via PM if you or your friend are interested.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:04 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Not in the market.
Just wondering if slightly older pups have been neutered. Asking for someone who would consider it.

One thing I do not like about Aruba is that dogs just wander the back/off roads. Making lots of puppies.
If you wander into off-road areas, there are lots of dogs (freely roaming). I guess Arubians have not heard about spay/neuter (or do not see the need/cost)?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:54 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

JohnT wrote:
One thing I do not like about Aruba is that dogs just wander the back/off roads. Making lots of puppies.
If you wander into off-road areas, there are lots of dogs (freely roaming). I guess Arubians have not heard about spay/neuter (or do not see the need/cost)?

Over the last few years, laws have been created or updated to try and reduce this problem. It's not just tourists that don't like to see it;many Arubians don't like this either. But it seems to be a generational thing; for many older Arubians, dogs aren't necessarily pets to keep in the yard. I hope that with the younger generation - and, maybe, increased government enforcement of the new laws - this issue will start to go away.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:43 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubagal wrote:
If you reach out to Animal Relief Foundation Aruba (ARF-Aruba) or Sgt. Pepper's Friends I am confident that your friend will have all of the assistance she needs to bring a puppy home with her. Both of these organizations do a great job of vetting their puppies and getting them ready for travel. I'd definitely suggest that your friend makes an effort to fall in love with a puppy who is ready to travel. Otherwise she may end up leaving the island without her puppy and finding transport (volunteers) to carry puppies to specific destinations can take quite a while. The best thing is to adopt a travel-ready pup and carry the pup herself.

A soft carrier is needed (can be brought from the US or can be purchased on the island). I believe all airlines charge some kind of a fee for Pet C (Pet in Cabin) which is essentially the space under the seat ahead of you. I believe they require you to book the Pet C in advance (my experience is with Air Canada and Westjet who each require 24 hours prior notice). Also, there is a limit to the number of PET C's that are permitted on an aircraft (the number depends on the type of equipment flown). Normally you cannot be in business class or exit row with a puppy.

We fell in love with a beautiful Aruba puppy more than 6 years ago. She has grown into such a lovely girl, and is a favourite with all of our friends. I've quite a lot of experience with Aruba pups and would be happy to share info via PM if you or your friend are interested.

If you think you will be taking a puppy home, bring a carrier with you. They are very expensive on the island. I get them from Amazon. Be sure it is airline approved and buy the large size, usually 18x11x10. This is the one I have been ordering lately.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
I also get the Sherpa when it is on sale.

With ARF and Sgt Peppers, the adoption fee includes the Pet C fee. Any additional donations are greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:37 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

They don't have animal shelters where you live?

Make American Dogs Great Again is my slogan

Apparently no one took up my suggestion a few years ago that they should distribute doggie condoms as there is no shortage of bastards (like me) in Aruba.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:08 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

arubajoey wrote:

Apparently no one took up my suggestion a few years ago that they should distribute doggie condoms as there is no shortage of bastards (like me) in Aruba.

I would agree Joey, much bigger problem here in the US than Aruba. Why people would want to that is besides me :roll: To each his own.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:46 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Thanks, bryanzs, for your information.
I'm glad that AUA is trying to do something to stem the tide of unwanted animals.

Yes, as ronnieb says, there is a big problem here.
Because of warmer FL winters, the estimate was 60,000 feral cats in this county alone.
Some of the local cities are trying "neuter and release" as opposed to kill.
Yet again locally, there were recent stories about kittens left in highway medians. Some ran into the woods, some were traffic victims.

I wish the original author good luck, but I guess I would say 'adopt locally'.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:20 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Just curious-the shelter I visited on the island-is that affiliated with ARF?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:20 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

jennb101 wrote:
Just curious-the shelter I visited on the island-is that affiliated with ARF?

Not directly, but the shelter works with most of the rescue groups. ARF helps the shelter transport animals off the island.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:22 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

ronnieb wrote:
arubajoey wrote:

I would agree Joey, much bigger problem here in the US than Aruba. Why people would want to that is besides me :roll: To each his own.

Every life saved, no matter the location, is a good thing.
My cats are adopted, one from a local shelter and one from a local foster. I still help with Aruba's animals.