All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post subject: FEMALE GOING SOLO
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:03 pm 
Freshman

Any recommendations for restaurants and things to do for a single female? Will be in Aruba beginning of September.

Post subject: Re: FEMALE GOING SOLO
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:17 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I have been to Aruba solo a couple of times. Where are you staying and will you have a rental car (or do you want things walkable - taxi is always easy, too.)

Mexico: March 2018
Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018
Ireland: June/July 2018
36th trip to Aruba: Sept./Oct. 2018
Rome: Nov/Dec. 2018
37th trip to Aruba: Dec. 2018/Jan. 2019

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:53 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

Look at the restaurant reviews section of this board. A lot of information there. I highly recommend El Gaucho, Madame Janette, Quinta del Carmen, Mulligans, Salt and Pepper, Fishes and More; the list goes on and on. Go and enjoy. Do your homework before you leave home about the many, many great restaurants. Been going for years by myself and never let it hinder me. Just be aware of your surroundings and use your street smarts. Going downtown by yourself at night; I wouldn't do it, but maybe you would. Make intelligent choices. A catamaran sunset cruise is a great take. Don't forget to take some time to relax on the beautiful beaches. I think most of us chill during the day and then happy hour, and then dinner, then back to the resort for an early last call. A full day in the sun is tiring. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:27 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

ive found that most of the restaurants pay extra attention when im solo, stopping to chat more often, etc. if youre staying in the palm beach area there are plenty of places all walking distance and its safe to walk solo. i would stay on the street side at night though, not the beach side. but like the others said be aware of your surroundings.

you will meet people and find everyone to be very friendly.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:15 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

I found when I was there by myself, I went to restaurants that my husband and I frequented and I sat at the bar and had my dinner...it was much more comfortable for me sitting there than at a table...you get to speak with people and the bartender...I found it delightful...When i went to a place where you had to sit at a table I went where I was familiar with the help such as Chalet Suisse and they always come over and speak with you and make sure all is well....I find the service excellent when you are dining alone....My very favorite place to dine alone is at Fishes&More. They treat you so well and I dine there at the bar as well.....A varied menu and prices are very fair....Just stay close to where you are staying and it makes it easier....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:51 am 
Freshman

Amy, I will be staying in a timeshare in the low-rise section and yes, I will have a rental car.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 10:20 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Many good restaurants in low rise area. Riccardos at ABC is great. Matthews used to be great, but recent reviews not so good. Elliottis for Italian food. Suspect part of your question would be safety. Aruba is safer than most US cities. If you take the same precautions as you would in New York or Philadelphia you will be fine. You will love Aruba. The beaches, activites and restaurants are great. Recommend Arubabob for snorkeling. ABC tours has a great half day or full day island tour. How long will you be in Aruba.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:12 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

TAMMYDEE wrote:
Amy, I will be staying in a timeshare in the low-rise section and yes, I will have a rental car.

As said above, alot of wakable restaurants in the low rise area if you are renting at ABC, Casa del Mar or Costa Linda. If you are renting at PBV or LaCabana there are a few walkable restaurants but not as many. But the high rise hotel area (Palm Beach) is just a quick drive away so there are plenty of places to go within just a few minutes drive.

I have been to Aruba a few times as a solo traveler and have found that I like dinners where I can sit at the bar area and chat with other patrons or the bartenders. My favorites for those are a couple of casual places in the Palm Beach area - Bingo's and Barneys. Very welcoming atmosphere at both, good casual food, and no problems with dining at the bar.

http://www.bingoaruba.com/

https://barneysaruba.com/

Another favorite place to go in the Palm Beach area for lunch and a great view is Bugaloe. They also have live music on certain nights that you might want to check out. http://www.bugaloe.com/

Mexico: March 2018
Sedona, AZ: April/May 2018
Ireland: June/July 2018
36th trip to Aruba: Sept./Oct. 2018
Rome: Nov/Dec. 2018
37th trip to Aruba: Dec. 2018/Jan. 2019

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:38 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

The bar at Bingo's if you just LOVE cigarette smoke and load locals. Barney's dido minus the smoke.