The Aruba Forums
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here



CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:03 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:47 pm
Posts: 5618
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
After something like 28 consecutive years and 30+ visits, we did not go in 2017.
I had a medical mishap on the island, spent too long in the Oduber hospital, lived through a hurricane there, came back to FL to evacuate from the same storm.
Yet we're going back this year...see y'all for a couple weeks after September 15!

_________________
Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be. --- Grandma Moses


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:21 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:34 am
Posts: 891
Location: Winchester, MA
I think I should throw something in here but the hour is late. I'll see if I can add comments later. I haven't been to Aruba since November, 2015 due to medical problems, (which still continue}, and we miss it and the friends we've made over the years.

Our first trip to the Tamerijn was in 1993 before it was AI. It didn't take long to decide it was our island of choice and we've been back more that twenty times. We've stayed at the Dvi=Tam on all our trips and felt it was our second home.

I gotta go! I'll be back later with thoughts on the changes over the years

See you all later!!

John

P.S. see I haven't changed my time setting to DST! Shame on me!!

_________________
John...

"A Free Spirit On An Endless Flight."

CHARLES-BROUNS Jr.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:52 pm 
Offline
Senior

Joined: Mon Nov 25, 2002 9:00 pm
Posts: 162
Location: new jersey
we havent been to aruba in about 4 years, that will probably change next summer!! i do miss it!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:56 am 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:12 pm
Posts: 838
Location: East Central New Hampshire
silverfox82326 wrote:
Rude replies and deleted posts might be one of the reasons.

Getting YELLED at did it for me.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:53 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:13 pm
Posts: 2123
Location: Southern RI
silverfox82326 wrote:
Rude replies and deleted posts might be one of the reasons.


I agree 100%! Rude replies for sure
I used to post here all the time until I started getting rude replies and nasty comments!
I was always honest and at times people don’t like my answer. Sorry
Hubby and I have been going to Aruba since 1989 and have stayed many places on the Island as well as covered more than 75% of the out of the way places. I think I know what I am talking about
It got to the point where new people got nasty if you didn’t post what they wanted to hear!

Also, I LOVE reading everything Aruba Joey has to say on this BB and people were nasty because I did! He has a warped sense of humor but I like it!
It is ok if you don’t, but don’t bash me because I do!
YES Joey, it is time you went to Chalet Suisse!!!

So now, I mostly read! I will ask a question once in awhile until I get another nasty reply, then I’ll stop!
Certainly isn’t as friendly a place as it used to be!

_________________
Image


Last edited by Jean on Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:00 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:13 pm
Posts: 2123
Location: Southern RI
ArubaAmy wrote:
I agree with the all of the posts above. The Facebook groups are killing the sites like this one.

I started my last trip report from January and never finished it - life just got busy (work, travel, etc.) There were a few new places that we went to that I wanted to add in my trip report that would be helpful but I just never finished. Maybe I will just spend 30 minutes on it tonight and do an abbreviated version with the highlights and photos while I am packing for our trip to Ireland. Hate to see it go unfinished. I would like to be able to just post photos though with captions - wish that was easier to do.

The Facebook groups are good for photos but I'm losing interest - a million incorrect answers (or non-answers since they didn't even read the question correctly) to the same posts/questions over and over again :lol: so I'm looking at new/different platforms now.

I definitely prefer quality over quantity, too.


I miss your trip reports Amy! Especially your pictures! Would love for it to be easier to post them also!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:59 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 4:27 pm
Posts: 3079
NH Mark wrote:
silverfox82326 wrote:
Rude replies and deleted posts might be one of the reasons.

Getting YELLED at did it for me.


I'm not aware of there being any rude replies for a very long time and no posts have been deleted for a very long time except an occasional spam post.

Richard

_________________
When you finally are old enough to know all the answers, nobody bothers to ask the questions.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:40 am 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:12 pm
Posts: 838
Location: East Central New Hampshire
Jean wrote:
I used to post here all the time until I started getting rude replies and nasty comments! Certainly isn’t as friendly a place as it used to be!

Perhaps we can make it so, again.

When you say that you've travelled to 75% of the out-of-the-way places, share which out-of-the-way places you've yet to explore. We may have something in common. For instance, have you climbed the cliffs at Grapefields? It's a beautiful spot, check it out if you've yet to...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:58 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2002 11:28 am
Posts: 686
Location: New York City
abbadmin wrote:
NH Mark wrote:
silverfox82326 wrote:
Rude replies and deleted posts might be one of the reasons.

Getting YELLED at did it for me.


I'm not aware of there being any rude replies for a very long time and no posts have been deleted for a very long time except an occasional spam post.

Richard


I have to agree with Richard. While I don’t post as often as I have in the past, many of the rude comments are not present. Have used this site as my primary reference to discover new places to check out while in Aruba for nearly 20 years. I refer first timers to this site all the time.

_________________
ArubaDoug


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:54 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 955
Location: Poconos Pa
Always felt that if I made a comment that did not agree with the Aruba experts (lol since we have been there 23 times) that insults were soon to follow. For example my whole life with restaurants is that I give it one shot in Aruba to feel that welcome home hospitality as there are too many good restaurants at all price ranges to HOPE to get a good experience. I then my bad try to let others know that they might have the same experience and they may want to try an alternative. This has been met with the defenders of that place or places that have decided it is the best. Fine but don't attack me for being truthful. Also it was not just restaurants many (some still here) decided that their opinion was way more valid, that they were the funniest people alive, and trolled their sole ownership website to weed us out. Good job, many of us just check it on occasion for TR and restaurant reviews and found friendlier pastures. Then again this is Just my opinion but seems to be shared by others. Too old to put up with the bullying bs. Peace


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:15 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:13 pm
Posts: 2123
Location: Southern RI
Dooedd wrote:
Always felt that if I made a comment that did not agree with the Aruba experts (lol since we have been there 23 times) that insults were soon to follow. For example my whole life with restaurants is that I give it one shot in Aruba to feel that welcome home hospitality as there are too many good restaurants at all price ranges to HOPE to get a good experience. I then my bad try to let others know that they might have the same experience and they may want to try an alternative. This has been met with the defenders of that place or places that have decided it is the best. Fine but don't attack me for being truthful. Also it was not just restaurants many (some still here) decided that their opinion was way more valid, that they were the funniest people alive, and trolled their sole ownership website to weed us out. Good job, many of us just check it on occasion for TR and restaurant reviews and found friendlier pastures. Then again this is Just my opinion but seems to be shared by others. Too old to put up with the bullying bs. Peace


Exactly my experience!
I still c9me here now and then but don’t post much.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:18 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2002 9:13 pm
Posts: 2123
Location: Southern RI
NH Mark wrote:
Jean wrote:
I used to post here all the time until I started getting rude replies and nasty comments! Certainly isn’t as friendly a place as it used to be!

Perhaps we can make it so, again.

When you say that you've travelled to 75% of the out-of-the-way places, share which out-of-the-way places you've yet to explore. We may have something in common. For instance, have you climbed the cliffs at Grapefields? It's a beautiful spot, check it out if you've yet to...


Know the location but don’t think I want to try climbing them!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:40 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:17 pm
Posts: 7015
I HATE rude people but I LOVE people like me.

You know S--T stirrers.


Side story: Last week I was in the Bahamas on a live aboard scuba trip. There was a young guy from Canada 28 years old who was the engineer, repairman, galley cleaner, etc. Real nice kid. At the end of the trip he helps us out to the van and with a big hug he thanks me for my sarcasm. Now I had no idea that I did anything in particular but I guess I did. My fellow long time travel buddies said that it was me being me something they all accept.

So for you judgement people I still don't know who put you in charge. I know I didn't.

_________________
It's a simple case of Mind over Matter.
I don't Mind and you don't matter. Brother Barry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:30 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 955
Location: Poconos Pa
Judgement is a lot different then opinion. Sarcasm is a lot more judgemental in that you think your s..t don't stink. Stink on you rule this site. We did not matter, don't matter and you achieved victory driving us Aruba loving folks away from YOUR site. Which really was not the founders purpose. What a guy! Keep patting yourself on back what would this place be without the King of Sarcasm. Yawn!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:52 pm 
Online
Freshman

Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:19 am
Posts: 11
Can we get this post locked , before it ends up to where we think its heading . After almost 2 months I think the usefulness on why it was posted is longgggg gone with other more informational posts coming on daily . Just an opinion .


Last edited by kris02420 on Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group