The Aruba Forums
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here

CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:54 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Many of you go to Aruba 1-2-3 times a year or go for weeks at at time so other then maybe a new restaurant which dutchdushi seems to be in charge of what is there to say. I get the feeling that a vast majority of you are timeshare owners so you go to the same place, same room, same people, same time. Not that that is a bad thing it just doesn't make for much to write home about. Since we have been staying in a friends timeshare at the Phoenix over the past several years in December only thing that chances is what room I will end up in and what palapa will I get that day.

One thing I have to do this year is eat at Chalet Suisse (although I have been saying that for a dozen years and every time I pass it). If I make it I will for sure review.

I like all your restaurant reviews but have to say I am not (neither is the petite Mrs. AJ) big eaters. Even though you may write about a restaurant that has been reviewed many times it is the personal experience you had as well as maybe a different dish that makes them worth reading.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:51 pm 
Junior

I also confess to checking the FB sites and getting tired of the same questions over and over again. And I remember to be patient because I was a newbie once upon a time also.

Now that I'm older and family members are passing on, I realize how much I miss the stories. The "remember when's." So if anyone wants to share about what brought them to Aruba, what they love about it, how it has made a difference for them, I'd love to hear them.

My first visit was in the winter of 1988 or so during one of the most miserable winters in New England. I went to my boss' travel agent and said I need to go somewhere where there is a beach, warm water and guarantee of no rain! She told me she had just the place for me and I came to this unknown (to me) island of Aruba with a friend of mine. I felt like I was coming home as soon as the door of the airplane opened. Since then Aruba has been the place where I learned to SCUBA dive, fell in and out of love, and generally go to when I needed to recharge my spirit. I can't imagine what my life would have been like without this glorious island and I am so grateful for the miserable winter. :D

I guess I'm feeling a little wistful today. Thanks for listening.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:52 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

Ok....

We arrived in '92 because of a hurricane and had to pick another place that Air Canada Vacations travelled to. (We bought our weeks that trip) It was very weird to sit out at HH and the band would say, "Who is here from Venezuela" :shock: "Who is here from Columbia" :shock: , Who is here from Boston :lol: Who is here from Canada...crickets, (we are more than one Province you know :roll: ) we were always the only two :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:42 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

i vacationed with my mom and we always went to vegas. she loved to gamble and i loved the sun. one year i told her we need to switch it up with a beach vacation. I had been to the island in the late 80's and thought it would be perfect . Made our first trip in nov 92 and vegas was history, been going every year since. Bought TS in 2000, she passed in 2003 but the memories remain.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:35 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

I first came in 1996 visiting my best friend who just moved here with her husband and eldest daughter. He had a job at the University for 3 years and they lived in Santa Cruz in an old house. I visited them every year and fell in love with the island.

When they left, I didn’t want to come here on my own. A few years later I started my relationship with the man that is now my husband. He used to work with people from Surinam and the Antillans. He loved to travel to the Caribbean, but for some reason refushed to go to Aruba. So we traveled all over and although all those places were nice, they were not Aruba. In 2009 I got so bored with all those places that were not Aruba, that I told DH he could either come with me or I would go alone. He gave in and the moment we stepped out of the airplane, he said: “Why didn’t you bring me here sooner?” Yeah, right. We have been coming since, first staying at the Westin and the Amsterdam Manor, but since 5 years we just rent the same house.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

As I type this at about 9pm Friday night there are 25 people viewing the board. A lot of people look but don't post.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:08 pm 
Prolific Very Helpful

I grew up on Long Island (in NY) and my dad had a manufacturing business in Manhattan. He'd get up every day at 4:00am so that he could be at the factory to open up. He REALLY needed his vacations. In 1969 (!) his travel agent told him about this new island where you could just go and relax, so he and my mom and my sister and I came down and stayed at the Divi for a week (this was WAY before "all inclusive" became a thing).

I don't remember too much about the visit itself (I was only 6...) but we met some people at the beach (my mom used to be one of those "talk to anyone" kind of people) and my dad loved doing nothing but laying by the pool, so they decided they wanted to come back. We skipped a year, but in 1971 we stayed at the Holiday Inn.

That Holiday Inn became our home away from home every year, as I grew up, even after I went away to University (but still came home for Aruba vacations). We traveled with our neighbors sometimes, or introduced other close family friends to the island. We made friends with members of the staff, watched them grow up (and some, grow old). In 1986, I brought my girlfriend (who eventually became my wife) with us on the family trip for the first time, and she loved it as well.

After she and I moved to California, and then Arizona, it became harder to visit, and so we missed most of the 90's. My mom and dad still came, though, and stayed at the Holiday Inn every time. They got their "Aruba Ambassador" plaque for 25 years of visiting in the mid-90's - we still have it framed in our house...

After my dad passed away in the early 2000's, we decided we still wanted my mom to enjoy her trips, so we made it a point to start up our visits again and go with her. We switched to the Radisson, though, after the full renovation, and made that our "base of operations" as we decided that we wanted to retire here when the time was right.

We started looking for land, and then the building process, and had our house finished in 2006. We celebrated a spontenbeir (a party that's held when construction reaches the heighest point), and my mom was there, and my wife's mom (her dad had passed earlier in the 2000s as well). That was the last time my mom was able to make the trip (though my wife and I came down here several times a year once the house was complete), and after she passed away, and my wife's mom as well, we decided it was time for us to make the move permanently.

In 2013 we got the first of our residency permits, and just at the beginning of this month we received our permanent resident status. We're still friends with some of the folks we met at the Holiday Inn (we think of them as our "Aruba family") and of course have made new friends now that we're part of the community (we don't live in Tierra del Sol, or anything like that, just a "regular neighborhood"). We try not to forget that we live on a "vacation island", though when you do live here, it's not the same as being on holiday - everyday life is everyday life, not sitting around the pool :-) We still own 2 weeks of timeshares (Costa Linda and La Cabana) so 2 times a year we go "on vacation" to the tourist side, and every week we go out to the movies so we stay in touch with life on Palm Beach.

It's hard to imagine that all this started just over 50 years ago...if only my dad could have been here to see how it all turned out :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:24 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

That is an AWESOME story and thank you very much for sharing it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:43 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

froggy wrote:

Ditto! :D

Coach Brian Stone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:12 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

ann wrote:
froggy wrote:

Ditto! :D

that is an awesome story, hope you meet you someday at one of the BB meets

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:41 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

yes great story bryanzs....which week do you own at Costa Linda? Maybe our paths will cross sometime.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:35 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

[quote="patsfan"]yes great story bryanzs....which week do you own at Costa Linda? Maybe our paths will cross sometime.[/quote]

Thanks, everyone. What's funny is, I didn't even realize it was Father's Day weekend when I made the post...

We own at the Costa Linda in early October, and La Cabana in mid-April.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:31 am 
Extra Helpful Expert

Yes, wonderful life story branyzs; thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:49 pm 
Extra Helpful Expert

karen1 wrote:
Yes, wonderful life story branyzs; thanks for sharing.

X2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:33 am 
Prolific Very Helpful

Beautiful story

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next