The Aruba Forums
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Having difficulty using this Board?
Click here for our Forum Support System
Forgot your password? Click Here



CHECK OUT OUR RECENTLY ENHANCED ARUBATOURISM.COM WEBSITE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:23 am 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:10 pm
Posts: 389
Location: Alto Vista, Aruba
Thanks, everyone, for your kind words.

I'm wondering, are there any other "second generation" Aruba visitors out there like me? That is, those who first traveled with their parents and then started coming to the island on their own? Because to really thrive - or maybe even survive - Aruba's going to have to stay a "family tradition" for visitors, or else the younger generation will find its own "tropical paradise" somewhere...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:59 am 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:52 pm
Posts: 637
Location: Wrentham, MA
I do not know if this counts, but Nancy's father started going in the 60's when he worked at Largo. Then in the early 80's Nancy and I started going down with her parents. Originally at the DIVI, before all inclusive then at Costa Linda in the early 90's. We have been going ever since the early 80's and now own 3 weeks at CLBR.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:45 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:13 pm
Posts: 452
Location: Ma. Cape Cod
Well tried to post been awhile, would not accept my passwords. So miss all the posts. Better than the other forums. We do not go with drones,still like to sit on the beach with peace and quiet, no boats floats etc.Still like happy hour,and talking with our mate. So been going for 30 plus years. Taken the kids etc. No where better to spend time with your partner and have some time plan and dream what will be the coming year. Have meet so many friends,always and have plans for next year meet up.So the lurkers maybe cannot remember the pass words,do you think? It took me going thru my address book. Lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:25 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:32 am
Posts: 325
Location: ny
Rude replies and deleted posts might be one of the reasons.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:22 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 7:27 pm
Posts: 3021
Location: Ohio, Costa Linda
This is my favorite spot to check out info on Aruba and was actually my first place to research Aruba. I have a trip report and restaurant reviews to write about soon from our annual trip in June. I love reading everyone else’s.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:38 pm 
Offline
Junior

Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:54 pm
Posts: 58
You folks are so wonderful to share your stories. Aruba is such a very special place to all of us. It makes my heart happy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:15 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:48 pm
Posts: 3227
Location: New York
froggy wrote:
I do not know if this counts, but Nancy's father started going in the 60's when he worked at Largo. Then in the early 80's Nancy and I started going down with her parents. Originally at the DIVI, before all inclusive then at Costa Linda in the early 90's. We have been going ever since the early 80's and now own 3 weeks at CLBR.



My Dad also worked for many month's at the oil refinery, it was probably late 60's early 70's. He was an engineer and his company was contracted to work there. After my Dad passed, my Mom wanted to go to Aruba to see where he worked, and to see the spots he visited. She has pictures of him in front of the original Natural Bridge and a few other spots. I have taken Mom to Aruba a few times, but she is now terrified of flying. I am so happy to have found Aruba, and all the wonderful people.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:38 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:13 pm
Posts: 1086
Location: Massachusetts
Technology changes and boards like this are now considered dinosaurs. The Facebook pages offer instant two way conversation and multiple answers within seconds.
While I still check this board, I rarely post.
As a matter of fact, I even started my own Aruba travel page on Facebook and now have over 19,000 followers. It’s called All Things Aruba! Check it out!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:16 am 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:52 pm
Posts: 637
Location: Wrentham, MA
dseltzer wrote:
Technology changes and boards like this are now considered dinosaurs. The Facebook pages offer instant two way conversation and multiple answers within seconds.
While I still check this board, I rarely post.
As a matter of fact, I even started my own Aruba travel page on Facebook and now have over 19,000 followers. It’s called All Things Aruba! Check it out!


I like dinosaurs over facebook. There are a lot of great dinosaurs on this site.
Long live the dinosaur


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:14 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:22 pm
Posts: 1301
froggy wrote:
dseltzer wrote:
Technology changes and boards like this are now considered dinosaurs. The Facebook pages offer instant two way conversation and multiple answers within seconds.
While I still check this board, I rarely post.
As a matter of fact, I even started my own Aruba travel page on Facebook and now have over 19,000 followers. It’s called All Things Aruba! Check it out!


I like dinosaurs over facebook. There are a lot of great dinosaurs on this site.
Long live the dinosaur

Ditto!

_________________
Food for thought: People object more violently to furs than leather because it is safer to attack rich women than motorcycle gangs.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:11 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 957
Location: Poconos Pa
Rude replies and deleted posts might be one of the reasons.


Yep just had enough, now just check in every now and then.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:23 am 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:52 pm
Posts: 637
Location: Wrentham, MA
carolrd wrote:
froggy wrote:
I do not know if this counts, but Nancy's father started going in the 60's when he worked at Largo. Then in the early 80's Nancy and I started going down with her parents. Originally at the DIVI, before all inclusive then at Costa Linda in the early 90's. We have been going ever since the early 80's and now own 3 weeks at CLBR.



My Dad also worked for many month's at the oil refinery, it was probably late 60's early 70's. He was an engineer and his company was contracted to work there. After my Dad passed, my Mom wanted to go to Aruba to see where he worked, and to see the spots he visited. She has pictures of him in front of the original Natural Bridge and a few other spots. I have taken Mom to Aruba a few times, but she is now terrified of flying. I am so happy to have found Aruba, and all the wonderful people.


Very interesting. I wonder if the two new each other. My father in-law was also an engineer there. He worked for the Foxboro Co. in Foxboro MA.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:09 pm 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:48 pm
Posts: 3227
Location: New York
froggy wrote:
carolrd wrote:
froggy wrote:
I do not know if this counts, but Nancy's father started going in the 60's when he worked at Largo. Then in the early 80's Nancy and I started going down with her parents. Originally at the DIVI, before all inclusive then at Costa Linda in the early 90's. We have been going ever since the early 80's and now own 3 weeks at CLBR.



My Dad also worked for many month's at the oil refinery, it was probably late 60's early 70's. He was an engineer and his company was contracted to work there. After my Dad passed, my Mom wanted to go to Aruba to see where he worked, and to see the spots he visited. She has pictures of him in front of the original Natural Bridge and a few other spots. I have taken Mom to Aruba a few times, but she is now terrified of flying. I am so happy to have found Aruba, and all the wonderful people.


Very interesting. I wonder if the two new each other. My father in-law was also an engineer there. He worked for the Foxboro Co. in Foxboro MA.


I guess it is possible they knew each other. My Dad's company was Arthur G McKee & Co, out of Edison, NJ. I remember seeing pictures of the trailers they used to live in while staying there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:17 pm 
Offline
Prolific Very Helpful

Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:52 pm
Posts: 637
Location: Wrentham, MA
Kind of a funny story my wife told me. My father in-law came home from one of his "work" trips and told his wife that they have their meetings on the beach in Aruba. From then on he never went to Aruba alone again. He actually looked into bringing the whole family down and school them there but that is where my mother in-law drew the line.
I am sure your father had some stories about Charlies Saloon right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: MIA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:46 am 
Offline
Extra Helpful Expert

Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2002 1:48 pm
Posts: 3227
Location: New York
froggy wrote:
Kind of a funny story my wife told me. My father in-law came home from one of his "work" trips and told his wife that they have their meetings on the beach in Aruba. From then on he never went to Aruba alone again. He actually looked into bringing the whole family down and school them there but that is where my mother in-law drew the line.
I am sure your father had some stories about Charlies Saloon right?


I knew he had been there, but didn't hear too much about it. He did grow a mustache while there, Mom never liked it. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group